Handbags...to match or not to match?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have a gray maxi wrap dress I'm going to wear out to dinner next Friday night. Diva night with girlfriends at a fun restaurant in Beverly Hills, doing a limo too!

I wasn't sure about jewelry, but I ended up buying a chunky stone/glass necklace on sale at Nordstrom's yesterday. Colors are gray and teal. I also got teal stone earrings. They look nice together, but it doesn't look too matchy-matchy.

I have a pair of black patent sandals that I think look nice with the dress. I just don't know what color handbag to carry. What are the rules for handbags these days? It used to be matching shoes, bag and belt. But that's not what I see in the magazine any more.
  • Have fun with the colors. Nothing has to match at all - as you say it used to be that way, but no more. I'd go with something bright if you have it for the handbag. Have a WONDERFUL TIME! Enjoy the camaraderie and friendships!
  • Handbags need to coordinate, but don't need to match. Do you have some handbags to choose from? What colors/options?
  • Sounds like a fun night and a nice outfit!!

I'd say teal or gray or a combo if you have one (don't buy anything new!). If you don't have one, maybe a peachy orange to compliment the teal and gray?

Yes, tell us what you have and we can try to help.

I'm a matchy match person but I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone and be wild.
  • Fuschia would work too.
  • I Scond The Peachy Orange !!
  • Bright blue or coral or hot pink (or fuschia as already mentioned)
  • http://colorschemedesigner.com this should help. Teal and peach go well.
  • I'm a matchy-matchy kind of girl....
  • I would go with a coral or a mustard yellow if you have either of those. Have fun with it!
  • Quote: http://colorschemedesigner.com this should help. Teal and peach go well.
    Oh my goodness...that site is awesome! I'm horrible with complimenting colors. Thanks for posting that.
  • Where is the OP?? I want to know what she's going to pick!! I'm excited for her!!

I love the idea of fushia!! I love the idea of turquoise!! or coral!! or mustard yellow!! or any of the above!! Maybe a rainbow of sorts of all the colors!!!

I'm going to pinterest and looking for some ideas! You'd think this outfit was for me I'm so excited.
  • I NEVER match shoes and purse in color. I NEVER match jewelry either. I just think it looks a little dated. Things should go together, but never match.

When it's summery weather I avoid black shoes/bags at all costs. With a gray dress anything goes but I love the way yellow looks with gray, and I love the way yellow and gray look with teal.
  • I match or want the color of my handbag to pop, but I don´t mix two bright colors usually. For example Jeans, white or black shirt goes with any kind of handbag.
  • I'm so sorry I didn't come back sooner! I got busy with work/life, grabbed a gold lame' bag at Marshall's and used it that night, but I am not happy with it at all. I had my teal necklace, but the ladies I went with decided I needed something else, a simple silver lariat-style necklace that one of them had.

I wish I had brought along my red Coach bag instead of buying the gold one. The gold one is going back to Marshall's today. I had looked at the teal ones they had, but none of them were quite right. I didn't see any appropriate fuschia or hot pink either.

Oh, and another thing, I couldn't find my shoes in my closet! I tore it apart looking for them, then realized there were several pairs of shoes missing. I think my old brain forgot that I moved my summer shoes somewhere and I can't remember where they went! So I ended up wearing a pair of flat loafers that were adequately hidden by my long dress.

Despite the inadequacies of the handbag/shoes, our little group certainly had more fun than everyone in the restaurant. You can read about my evening on my new friend's blog. She posted a story about our evening. I'm the one towering over everyone in the photo.