Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 06-06-2013, 03:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW194/CW144/GW140

Height: 5.10

Default where to go for makeup help

Dh and i will be going on romantic vacation for anniversary and want to look nice. Typically, i only wear lipstick. But i know more makeup will help enhance.

I've been to a couple of places in mall for free makeover. But they are in it for money and end up putting on as much makeup as they can. I just look awful cuz it too much for me. Does anyone have suggestion on where i should go
hiddenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Have you tried searching for tutorials on youtube? There's some really good beauty gurus out there with some really helpful videos
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #3  

Do you have MAC? I love their makeovers and I've never had them put on too much. Here (in Canada) it is a free makeover but you are expected to buy around $30 worth of stuff afterwards. I've always loved what they've done.
asjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenstar View Post
Dh and i will be going on romantic vacation for anniversary and want to look nice. Typically, i only wear lipstick. But i know more makeup will help enhance.

I've been to a couple of places in mall for free makeover. But they are in it for money and end up putting on as much makeup as they can. I just look awful cuz it too much for me. Does anyone have suggestion on where i should go
I totally agree, those "free" makeovers in the mall typically turn out not to be free. They always try to talk you into buying their pricey products...which are not at all necessary.
As the previous poster suggested, there are many good tutorials on YouTube including those for beginners. I watch makeup videos often and a few of my favorite guru's are Gossmakeupartist, Emilynoel83 and Makeupgeek.
My products of choice are Smoky Mountain Minerals. This brand is about 1/3 the price of Bare Minerals and they do not contain bismuth oxychloride which can cause itching & irritation. When you sign up for their email newsletter, you are advised of their bi-weekly sales, which are typically 25% - 50% off. They always have FREE shipping! Best of all, Smoky Mountain Minerals never makes you look "made up"....its never too much, it just gives you a natural, finished look. Its simple to apply and you don't feel like you are wearing a mask of makeup. I especially enjoy their foundation and their soft pink blush. I also love their hot chocolate eyeshadow.
I would be happy to talk makeup with you if you have questions. Feel free to PM me
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Might I suggest a totally unconventional method that someone turned me onto recently?

Wash your face in olive oil. Dead serious. I have bad acne and have to use makeup daily to cover up the scars. Someone here mentioned using olive oil as a face wash and I begrudgenly did. Massive improvement in just one day to my face. Three weeks later, HUGE improvement. I am rarely using any makeup anymore, which is great because I like to think of myself as a minimalist.

Anyways, it enhances your natural colors, minimizes pores, and brings forth a really spectacular natural glow. Top off with a little bit of color enhancing primer, brush a tad of finish dust on top, line your eyes with a smoky eyeliner and a neutral shadow with a non-clumping mascara and voila! A down to earth look with a tad sexy.

Oil Face Wash
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Check beauty schools in your area and try to get a student to come and do a tutorial for you, students are usually cheaper than pros. Or volunteer at the school to be a "model" when they need to work on a real person.

For special events like weddings and fancy parties I always hire someone to come do my hair and make up. It's such a treat to get pampered once in a while and I totally deserve it. Don't you?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #7  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

wow olive oil?? thanks I am going to try this!
Love having such a diverse group of people here on 3FatChicks to share and learn from!
Love the fact that we are different but we can share openly and honestlly...and learn and gain different prospectives...there is more than one way to skin a cat... Oh no ....now I probably offended someone by what I said!!
I have never skinned a Cat it is just a saying !! LOL
Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #8  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

Do you have an Ulta near you? I always go there if I feel like I need a professional's help. Some Ulta's have both makeup sessions and tutorials. Also, I would second Leaves comment about the Youtube makeup tutorials. That is how I have learned to do makeup! Good luck!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 183/160/150

Height: 5' 9"

I know exactly how you feel.
I'm so pale and am told I have kind of a child-like features, so it's really easy for makeup to look like too much on me. When I've tried mall makeovers it's usually so overdone. I also felt uncomfortable with wasting the MUA's time when she was on commission.
In my case, the Laura Mercier MUAs seemed to lay it on less (the makeup was pretty subtle and light).

It sounds like you're looking for free, so this suggestion is maybe for later, but if you want help and are willing to pay, in my experience sometimes salons sometimes are a better bet. they're getting paid whether you buy or not, and might have slightly less incentive to push hard, and more incentive to give you exactly what you want (no clown makeup) so you come back.
ddovii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 205/see ticker/140

Height: 1.69m

I love jessica harlow tutorials on youtube or makeupgeek. I also go to mac and have them show me how to use their products. The most important thing are good brushes. I love mac and sigma as a cheaper alternative.

Do u guys just use the olive oil and water and how do u get the oil off??? I can't imagine that it would get rid of all my make up.
Andee3112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #11  

Oh I just saw the link you posted, sorry totally missed that. I am so going to try that.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I haven't tried oil cleansing yet....but....since Smoky Mountain Minerals recently launched their new oil cleanser, I might give it a try
http://www.smmbeauty.com/facecleansingoil.aspx

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 145/125/123

Height: 5'4"

I also use olive oil to wash my face. It works great on blackheads. I put it on, rub it in, leave it on while I brush my teeth, then rinse to get off the make up, and then wipe the rest off with a warm wash cloth.

It's really nice because my skin is drier and this helps even in Colorado.

I also mix a little honey in. I don't know why but that makes it better.
Just Dance Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #14  

Cool I will give it a shot.