3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Looking Good, Feeling Great (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great-204/)
-   -   Shoe Size (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great/280241-shoe-size.html)

Garnet2727 04-23-2013 11:07 AM

Shoe Size

Right now, I travel from Lansing, MI to Bismarck, ND twice a month for business. The last time I was in Bismarck earlier in April, the sole of my business shoes split. Can't have that in April in North Dakota! Shoe shopping has never been my favorite activity. I have oddly shaped feet; wide in front, narrow at the heel. I also have foot problems. This means that my shoes must be flat. In addition, my right foot was crushed when I was young and the top of that foot is still sensitive to pressure. All those things together mean that I'm really limited in what I can wear.

The business shoes I used to wear were a cheap brand ($30 a pair, less on sale) that I've been wearing for at least 4 years. They wear out pretty fast but at least they fit (or so I thought) and provided some support for my feet. However, when the last pair split in the sole, I went to a Naturalizer store in Bismarck. One of the sales ladies took one look at the shoes I was wearing and said, "We need to measure your feet." Measure my feet? I've been wearing the same size shoe since I was 16. She asked me point blank, "Have you lost weight?" I said, "Yes, quite a bit." She said, "We need to measure your feet."

I let her measure my feet.

I've lost half a shoe size.

Oh and I've rediscovered something that I'd been ignoring despite my husband nattering at me about it. Don't skimp on shoes. At this store, I had abundant choices in shoes. For the first time in my entire life, I bought three pair of shoes. My new shoes provide a lot more support for my feet and ankles. They weren't cheap either. But holy cow, are they making a difference for my poor feet! And, they fit properly!

Half a shoe size. Who knew?

wolfgirl69 04-23-2013 11:12 AM

Maybe the brands of shoes you have been wearing have just been off. I am a 9 in noncheap shoes (Like at the mall or online) and a 9 1/2 to 10 in cheap shoes. I am definitely a 9.

bargoo 04-23-2013 11:20 AM

When you lose weight you lose weight all over including your feet. My shoe size has changed 1/2 to 1 complete size.

Thedollylala 04-23-2013 11:24 AM

I went from a 9.5-10 at the beginning a year ago and I'm now 9-9.5 ... I'll wear my 10s sometimes if I'm feeling stubborn and I really want to wear those shoes, but yay for shrinking feet!

wolfgirl69 04-23-2013 11:28 AM

Really? Interesting. I never knew that. Well that's neat! Probably won't happen to me though. My shoe size has been the same since 6th grade. xD

elvislover324 04-23-2013 11:59 AM

Awesome, Garnet!! Enjoy your new shoes!! All my 9s that I bought after I gained weight don't fit anymore. Back to all my 8 1/2s that I grew out of! It's bittersweet as some of my 9s I love but not enough to break my neck in!!

Mozzy 04-23-2013 12:54 PM

Good for you!

I hope my feet shrink a bit, I wear huge shoes! Lol

CherryPie99 04-23-2013 02:12 PM

I also lost about 1/2 shoe size. I realized I would lose all over, but the biggest surprise for me was my earlobes! Some earings I could barely get the back on and have it stay comfortably. Not an issue any more LOL

LockItUp 04-23-2013 02:48 PM

I used to wear 9-9.5, now 7-8! Only downside is I had thrown out all my old size 7s and 8s after my 1st pregnancy thinking my feet were forever changed.

dstalksalot 04-23-2013 03:06 PM

I lost a full size after 80 pounds. None of my shoes fit!

If you like Naturalizer try Born and Clark's too! Love those brands!

gailr42 04-23-2013 07:10 PM

I wear SAS shoes which are pretty pricey in the store. I watch for them on ebay and get them for a third or less of the department store price. I have gotten kind of "stung" a couple of times by dishonest sellers, but really I have still saved a ton of $$. You have to know what size you wear in your brand. I have had just about zero luck buying shoes in unfamiliar brands. They never seem to fit. Also, I think they may be selling last years style, but that doesn't matter to me.

Garnet2727 04-23-2013 09:26 PM

Thanks, all! I'm going to look at the other brands mentioned. I can't adequately describe how good it is to have shoes that fit and properly support my damaged feet.

Psychic 04-24-2013 07:54 AM

I have the same issue as the OP with oddly shaped feet. My feet are also wide in the front and narrow in the heel. I've also lost a half size in the last year. I have found a few brands of dress shoes that are fairly comfortable. Trying looking for Naturalizers, Earth Shoe and Clarks.

I own these ones and they might be perfect for you.

SunnySide99 04-24-2013 09:26 AM

Funny this topic came up. I recently just tried on all of my sandals, heels and flip flops from previous years and now they are all too big. I went from an 11W to a regular 9 (sometimes 10 in boots and sneakers). I am so thankful to be in a smaller size and have more options. I agree with checking out Naturalizer.

ChickieBoom 04-24-2013 10:58 AM

I definitely noticed that my feet got bigger as I gained weight but I also suffer from lymphedema that causes quite a bit of swelling in my feet so it's hard to say if my shoe size is getting smaller because my condition worsened after I gained the weight.