Where can I buy a 'true' size 16? (or, what stores AREN'T vanity sized?)

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I want to buy a true 16R (not 16W) to shrink into as my next mini-goal. What stores do you think are true to size? I was thinking maybe J.Crew - other ideas?
  • There is no "True" size. Size charts have changed over the years. Some retailers are worse than others, but no one uses the same measurements they used in, say, the 1950's. They're in constant shift.

This chart is helpful, though, in looking at current sizes:

• Wow, it amazes me how confusing all these sizes are.
    I love Gap/old navy but they are vanity sized, this
    must mean I 'think' I'm a 16, however I'm deluded and
    I'm still a true 18... ugh
  • I just found out about this site yesterday and I think it's so nifty. You can input your measurements and it will tell you what size you are at various stores. (The default setting is UK, so one needs to be sure to switch to US.)

What Size Am I?

I should probably disclaim that I don't know how accurate it is. It sounds about right, though...
  • That chart is super mandalinn82, thanks!
  • Quote: I just found out about this site yesterday and I think it's so nifty. You can input your measurements and it will tell you what size you are at various stores. (The default setting is UK, so one needs to be sure to switch to US.)

What Size Am I?

I should probably disclaim that I don't know how accurate it is. It sounds about right, though...
    Told me I was a 12 that can't be right. I hope not!
  • Quote: Told me I was a 12 that can't be right. I hope not!
    Make sure it's not set for UK sizes. It put me at a 6, originally and since I'm normally a 0/2 I thought that was odd. Switching it to US sizes brought up my correct size
  • It isn't the stores that determine the sizes, it is the manufacturer and many times they are crazy, the same manufacturer may have different sizes in two different garments, if you try to figure it out you wil go bananas. I just take two different sizes into the dressing room and buy the one that fits, no matter what the tag may say,
  • I laughed when I saw "true size" - there's no such thing!!! It's all a big game trying to figure out what size clothing we need...I hate that.

I just tried that website for sizes - luckily I just measured last week - my "curve" doesn't really work for anyone! I have more of a very shallow dip...darn bullet shape of mine :-)
  • Quote: Wow, it amazes me how confusing all these sizes are.
    I love Gap/old navy but they are vanity sized, this
    must mean I 'think' I'm a 16, however I'm deluded and
    I'm still a true 18... ugh
    Any way that I can be a 16 in an 18 world of mine I'll take it!

I was reading somewhere (maybe on that link) that brands that run big for sizes sell a boatload more of their brand as women want to feel "skinny". I'd have to say, it would work for me now during my weightloss transition. I am only an 18 in certain pants but it sure does make me happy as it shows progress to me. If I could do a 16 in ANY brand, I'd be doing cartwheels all around town. (And yes, I would still "know" I was as big as an 18. It's just mental to me I guess.)
  • I'll just be thrilled when I get to the point where the sizing isn't done with a series of XXXX. Actually getting a number -- even if it's initially in the 20s -- will be a big step forward. I'm convinced that there's no standardization any more because if we have to go into a store to shop and have to try on many different items, we'll end up buying more.
  • Quote: I'll just be thrilled when I get to the point where the sizing isn't done with a series of XXXX. Actually getting a number -- even if it's initially in the 20s -- will be a big step forward. I'm convinced that there's no standardization any more because if we have to go into a store to shop and have to try on many different items, we'll end up buying more.
    Amen. Or a size without a "w" after the number.
  • Quote: Amen. Or a size without a "w" after the number.
    So true!
  • I have a pair of 18s from Lands End that fit me better than a pair of 18Ws also from Lands End. I have 'identical' navy chinos from Lands End - both size 18W, one is tight, the other isn't.
  • I bought 2 pair of jeans different colors...same size....same label. One fit, and the other was baggy....go figa.....