3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Looking Good, Feeling Great (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great-204/)
-   -   An eye-rolling experience. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great/273132-eye-rolling-experience.html)

mimsyborogoves 01-10-2013 10:21 PM

An eye-rolling experience.

I went into a department store today to look for new sports bras because mine are now waaayyy too big. It was a store that I hadn't been in in a while, so when I got to the intimate apparel section, I asked the associate if sports bras were with intimate apparel or active-wear. She said, "We have sports bras up here! They're straight back there *points*".

So away I went. And I saw a rack of bras that looked very similar to sports bras, but upon further investigation realized they were just everyday, wire-free, soft cup bras. Not bras that were designed for working out. Nothing on the label suggested that they were sports bras. I looked all over the department and couldn't find anything else that resembled a sports bra, so I decided to leave and look elsewhere.

The associate approached me and asked if I found what I was looking for, and I told her that I was looking for sports bras and that no, I didn't see them. So she then walked me right back to the rack of non-sports bras I found. *eye-roll*

Since when does no wires in a bra = okay for working out? Maybe in this lady's world, but I tell ya what, I just had to leave because it was all I could do to not pull a bra off the rack and tell her exactly what that bra was and what its proper function was. It really amazed me that I knew more about her department than she did! -shakes head-

kaplods 01-11-2013 12:14 AM

Not all sports bras look like sports bras. I have the opposite problem in department stores, as I want the type of sports bra that DOESN'T look like a tight cropped tank. I want a sports bra that has individual cups and doesn't flatten my chest, making me look like a fat dude.

What makes a sports bra is the fabric and where the seams fall. A soft cup bra can be a sports bra if it is made from a breathable or wicking fabric and the construction avoids rubbing at sensitive areas For example there shouldn't be a seam over the center of the cup,because it could rub the nipple raw.

I can usually only find the sports bras with cups, shaping, and supprt online.

Misti in Seattle 01-11-2013 07:21 AM

I have never been able to find sports bras because of my mega boobs; however, I finally DID find a wonderful style that is incredibly supportive... and it has no wires at all. I love it.

owlsteazombies 01-11-2013 11:56 AM

I uhhh...I'm guilty of working out in my t-shirt underwire bras...

mimsyborogoves 01-11-2013 11:56 AM

I know most sports bras are wire free and I'm not talking about this uniboob things lol, just ya know when I think of a sports bra I generally think it would have something on the label saying that it was designed for exercise. I ended up finding some at target, and all the labels said something like "sweat absorbing" or "for high level activity" or "high impact activity". They had all kinds of styles and levels of support but they were all actually designed for exercise, not everyday comfort wear.

owlsteazombies 01-11-2013 11:57 AM

I forgot to add, Target has a GREAT active section full of sports bras that I constantly walk by and have never thought of buying until now.

Bellamack 01-11-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle (Post 4585444)
I have never been able to find sports bras because of my mega boobs; however, I finally DID find a wonderful style that is incredibly supportive... and it has no wires at all. I love it.

Don't keep us wondering, what is it????

misspixie 01-11-2013 03:33 PM

Speaking as someone with "ladies" this one is good for bigger busted women"
http://enell.com/
Personally used them for long distance walking and some running and so on and I love it. Oprah endorsed them back in the day too.
I agree with Mimsy -- if youve got "ladies" a nonunderwire fashion bra may be "sporty" but not for sports thats been my experience anyways.

Mozzy 01-11-2013 03:43 PM

I'm with the OP, sports bras should be clearly labeled. Just because it's wire free, does not mean it can support during strenuous activity!

mimsyborogoves 01-11-2013 04:39 PM

I don't know about y'all but mine get kinda floppy when I exercise, lol. I need something that's for sure gonna keep them in place! Regular bras don't cut it.

Kaitie9399 01-11-2013 08:49 PM

I have the answer!!! Enell. I saw this particular bra on Oprah a few years ago and bought two (they're expensive). They hold EVERYTHING in so you're not floppy.

Yep, should've read the whole thread first...someone already posted the same thing. Oops.

Nikel1979 01-11-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves (Post 4586260)
I don't know about y'all but mine get kinda floppy when I exercise, lol. I need something that's for sure gonna keep them in place! Regular bras don't cut it.

Not just you. I'm a distance runner, and the thought of running in a regular bra makes me want to cry. LOL My smushed chest may look like fat man-ish when I'm running, but my DD girls are still really perky. :D

Palestrina 01-12-2013 08:07 AM

I can understand your frustration. It seems like most department stores employ people who know absolutely nothing about the items they sell. In general it's hard to find someone who is willing to help and has knowledge of the merchandise and this is true for any store you go into! 30yrs ago these used to be valued positions and now they're just temporary jobs for students or high school drop outs. It's pretty sad but there is no such thing as customer service anymore.

nelie 01-12-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owlsteazombies (Post 4585840)
I forgot to add, Target has a GREAT active section full of sports bras that I constantly walk by and have never thought of buying until now.

I'd recommend Target's only for light activity.

Personally, I say find a running store and go there. They have all sorts of sports bras suitable for high impact activity.

misspixie 01-12-2013 10:41 AM

Ive found that most running/sports stores are geared for either tiny people or tinybusted people. Ive never found a well fitting sports bra in my size at say the Running Room. They do sell good brands but tend to stop at C cup size. Im a DDD...
Im telling you, Enell is the ONLY brand Ive found for high impact sports for women of size. I linked to it earlier --check it out. It works promise.

sontaikle 01-12-2013 02:31 PM

If you're busty you probably need to go to a specialty shop to get some good quality sports bras. The S-M-L-XL variety aren't going to do the job if you're doing high impact activity. If you're not jumping around then you can probably get away with it.

Whether it's fortunate or unfortunate I don't know, but I don't have to worry about that anymore. $5 sports bras from five below do the trick for me now...