3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Looking Good, Feeling Great (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great-204/)
-   -   Are clothing sizes getting smaller? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great/272131-clothing-sizes-getting-smaller.html)

misspixie 12-30-2012 12:44 AM

Are clothing sizes getting smaller?

As a teen at a weight of 135 lbs and my height I was a size 11. Today much older and 35lbs heavier I can fit a size 11. Are sizes changing?
Found this article thought it was interesting and Id share...
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/d...no_sense_.html
:)

Misti in Seattle 12-30-2012 06:17 AM

Sizing is crazy. I've never figured out why no one seems to find it strange that in men's clothing you can choose sleeve length, collar size, length, inseam length, waist size, etc... but in women's clothing you just get sizes, which mean nothing. I have a friend who is a foot shorter than I am but we are expected to shop from the same sizes. I have trouble finding a blouse or top that comes to a decent length below my waist. LOL just walk into a plus size shop and look at the blouses... a 5X is often 8" or more longer than a 1X. I've gone from a 4X to a 1X or 0X and I did NOT shrink 12" in height!

Why, with all the "women's movement" stuff that has gone on, does no one ever make an issue of this and force a change?

bargoo 12-30-2012 08:24 AM

Sizing is crazy, you will go crazy, too if you try to figure it out. I just try things on until I find something that fits.I recently bought a new car coat. The smalls were too big and the mediums were too small.No sense in it at all.

Garnet2727 12-30-2012 09:25 AM

Well, the article explained one thing to me that I've been puzzling about. When I read sizing charts, the waist sizes put me in a much higher size than I actually wear. That's because they are based on a hourglass figure, which most women do not have. Depending on which shape calculator I use, I'm either a banana or a spoon. Even at my goal weight, I won't have a waist ratio as small as what is routinely used in sizing charts. Of course, those charts are crap because of clothes were actually all sized that way, I'd be wearing a size 32!

CherryQuinn 12-30-2012 11:06 AM

when I was 13 I was 185lbs and a size 13. Today I am 218 lbs and a size 12. One factor is definetly that sizes have changed. Another factor is my body has shifted since it matured through my teen years, I don't mean boobs I always had those , but my weight is in different areas now at 25 yrs old than they were at 13 years old. I haven't gotten any taller either I have been 5'7 since I was about 12 years old. So I figure the sizing difference is the difference between the composition of my teen vs adult body and the laxness of the sizes these days.

elvislover324 12-30-2012 11:12 AM

Sizing definitely is frustrating so now I determined that I have to just try everything on either at home or at the store before cutting tags or assuming something is going to fit.

But......I do like when the smaller sizes fit in my favor! I bought a 14/16 sweater yesterday and I have no business wearing a size this small, but I am going with it!

alaskanlaughter 01-01-2013 03:03 AM

sizing is crazy! i bought a size 4/6 yoga pants last summer and i have no right to be fitting in those sizes yet LOL i know it was just the brand....sadly that's the smallest size they made and as i get smaller, i wont be able to get a smaller size and i just love their yoga pants :(

i try everything on in the stores....i dont even bother shopping online for clothes...

and i agree how body types can change...i still have the pair of jeans that i was wearing 6 years ago before i was pregnant with my younger son...i weighted 210 and wore these jeans comfortably...however my hips have somehow permanently shifted since then, or something...i'm not sure...but i KNOW i am much smaller now, and i weigh 182-185 and i CANNOT FIT those jeans comfortably!!! it's the weirdest thing!