Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

Question Clothing questions on the way down. How often do you buy new stuff?

The thread about what splurges people are planning for goal got me really thinking about this one. Now I know I dont have as much weightloss ahead of me as some of you amazing ladies. But I did hear once that sizes change more quickly as we get to smaller sizes? I honestly don't know what size I will end up as. I have always had this dream of wearing a size 6, but since i haven't been able to wear a size six since I became an adult I have no idea if that realistic for me.

At ~186 I was probably needing a size 14. Still wearing my 12's but not comfortable in the least in them. Right now I am almost down 5 lbs, and my 12's fit really well. I can even wear some of my vanity large sized 10's (from gap and old navy).

P.S. I maintained a weightloss that had me at ~170 for over a year before gaining the weight back over last years holiday season, this is why I have a few clothing sizes in my closet.

So I know at 170 before I was able to wear a 10 in any brand. And in vanity sized cloths I could even wear an 8. At goal of 155 I am curious what size I may land in? For awhile I shouldn't have ot buy many cloths. At least down to 170. But here's where I'm curious about. I have read on here where gals have lost quite a bit of weight and see sizes shrink more rapidly for the last few pounds. I guess I'm wondering if you ldies who have lost weight wish you had skipped buying as much along the journey and saved more cloths shopping for the final destination?

Or those of you still on the journey what have you done and plan to do as you need smaller sizes?

If I do get to a size 6 then I really don't want a wardrobe full of size 8-10 cloths hanging around to allow me to gain and fit back into them. But then again I dont want to be going around in cloths that are too big waiting to go down to a certain size I may never get too.

I do think that a big part of why I have always stopped gaining weight just under 190 is because I have never shopped when I am heavy and never had sizes large enough to gain more weight and be able to wear my cloths still. When my cloths get really uncomfortable I tend to do something about it, even if that something means maintain the heavier weight.

Also how many of you plan to get rid of cloths as soon as they are replaced with smaller sizes? I don't want to keep a safety net this time around, but I also have a hard time getting rid of cloths that are still wearable, even if they are a bit baggy.

Anyways lots of questions, but I am really curious to see other ladies size changes/ decisions during their weightloss journies.
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

I started at 335 (at 5' 7 ) and I was about a size 24. When I started to lose weight I dropped sizes fast. At like 298ish I was a size 18. I didn't want to buy many clothes cause whats the point right? But I got made fun of a lot by other women for my baggy clothes and having my pants half way down my arse all the time cause not even a belt will save you with that much pant difference, so I bought a few staple pairs of jeans and tanks. Then I bought clothes again at 250 and was roughly a 16 then( went down sizes much slower), I again just bought staples-replacing what I absolutely had too and sewing down a few sizes whatever I could. Now I am planning to do another closet clear out and restock at 215lbs (18 more lbs to go!) and will do the same again. What I do is make sure I have a couple cute sexy dresses for nights out and at least 3 outfits for school, and of course right fitting bras/panties . I generally have about 9-10 outfits altogether as I am loosing weight, and about 6 pairs of shoes/boots/heels and one coat. Thats a pretty slim closet to keep I know but its much cheaper to have a well fitting small closet as your going down in weight than to either have a big closet of clothes that will be useless to you soon or baggy saggy clothes that make you feel frumpy, aged, and depressed, at least thats my feelings toward clothing some girls need more, some less, some don't care. to each their own. I don't know if that answered any of your questions O_O
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #3  

charlaine09- It definately did, and thank you! Thinking about shrinking sizes is so exciting. . I just wish I had a magic ball that will tell me what size I'll settle at. Ha ha, then I'd keep the bare minimum until that size and then go crazy! (well as crazy as the pocket book's budget allows)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

I wish I had that ball too. I guess it really depends on your height and body shape, bones, muscle, boobage, age, all that jazz.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #5  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I lost 60 pounds and that only resulted in two pant sizes (and I can still wear the other ones with a belt) and maayyyybbbeee a shirt size depending on the brand. I put on on that was three sizes smaller on Sunday, but none of my tops seem too baggy in my original size yet.

Sunday was my first shopping trip post weight loss, and I kept it to the bare minimum. A girdle, a pair of jeans, some badly needed new undies and one top that I liked (the one that was three sizes smaller). I don't intend to buy any more than absolutely necessary, but I like the idea of a cute top or dress every few months or so as a reward or to chart my progress. I can ebay or virtual garage sale them after to recoup my losses.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

On the way down it's really difficult to know what size you're going to settle at. I'm a size 0 and I never thought I would get there in a million years!

Best thing to do is buy as little as possible until you hit what you think will be your final size. Hit the thrift shops, sales, etc for inbetween clothes.

Also it may not be wise to buy clothes off season until you're settled...summer 2011 I bought a bunch of size 6 clothes thinking that I would wear them THIS summer and...whoops! They're too big. At least my mom got use out of them

One thing that worked great for me was buying pants slightly too tight. They last through more pounds that way and it's pretty awesome to have a pair of pants that were once tight suddenly fall off you.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 223/130/126

Height: 5ft 5

Luckily for me I have cheap tastes and don't really buy any 'investment' pieces too often, so updating my wardrobe hasn't been too much of an issue along the way. That said, I probably spend more than I should. Losing weight has definitely ignited a passion for shopping! I typically buy something new every weekend.

I had a few dresses that I was sad to see the back of but they went to a good home. Generally I have 1-2 pairs of jeans, but due to my shrinking butt, they don't last too long. I mostly wear leggings with tops and dresses. Leggings are cheap to replace, so no problem there.

Tops and dresses I eek out for a couple of sizes, until they become ridiculously baggy. I've started fitting into UK 12 clothes now, but my wardrobe still consists of plenty of UK size 14, 16 and some 18 clothes which I still wear.

Shrinking into smaller sizes is awesome
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #8  

radiojane- I didn't even think about reselling. That's brilliant

sontaikle- First I have to say you are a huge inspiration and big reason why I am working on lifting heavy these days. You are a great model for weightloss. I can't even imagine losing weight to be smaller than a 6! While sad that the money was spent, being able to fit into a smaller size I'm sure lighted then blow of buying and not being able to wear thse shorts! I'll take the buy tight jeans advice. And like you said seeing them become too loose would be a reward in and of itself.

1987- I like the two pairs of jeans and leggings advice. I do love the look of leggings and cute short dresses, but hate the shape of my hips and havent yet owned any. I'm now lifting legs twice a week though. So maybe by the time my 10's are too small I'll be ready for the leggings!

Thanks for your resposes. I really apprieciate it.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Since July I have lost 60 pounds, going from pants size 26 to an 18. My tops have gone from 3x to a 1x.

Up until now I have had a closet full of clothes in various sizes. Now I still have lots of clothes that are size 18/1x but they are all summer clothes, not good for winter in Minnesota. My best friend had some size 16 and 18 jeans that she "undergrew" so I inherited them, THANK Goodness! I work for a john Deere delership and the only requirement is that I wear something Jhn Deere to work, so I can get by with my oversized sweatshirts this winter.

I model for a plus size clothing store approximately once a every six weeks. I get an amazing discount when I model so I have decided I will buy ONE new outfit a month, IF it is smaller than the one I bought the previous time. But it also has to be something practical and something I can wear for more than just one occasion.

I am so on the fence about what to do with my larger clothes. Last time I lost weight I was SURE I would keep it off and gave everything to Good Will. Well i did not keep it off and gained even more, so I and to buy new clothes. Some clothes I have given to a friend. Like another said I do not want to have a safety net, but I also don't want to have to rebuy larger sizes again if I do gain the weight back.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I don't buy anything over $20 on my way down and only have at most 2 jeans that are the correct size at any given point. (I do a lot of laundry hehe) I'm in 14s currently and might try to skip the size 12. We'll see.

I donate the rest as I move out of the size. That's my nature though, I don't like to hold on to things I don't use.

Last edited by Vex; 11-13-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #11  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

i have several (ahead of time )purchases I made about 50 pounds ago. A lot of things I collected over the years trying to get to goal too. However; I gave away many bigger things that were just getting too big and hung wrong on my frame. I just passed my 1/2 way mark at about 220. I bought some Old Navy tops, jeans and outerwear. (I didn't have too) the exising outerwear I had was sloppy so I wanted a fitter cut and reasoned with myself that the prices @ Old Navy are lower than my old places, I made the allowances. I have 2 pairs of 16 skinny jeans but I'm a few inches from getting in them. Long story. I'm already using everything else. I live in a few thermal tops from there XL. I understand they vanity size so I dunno if 'm truly fitting n2 a XX or an XL like the tag says. I do fit into a lot of 1X from elsewhere.

To answer your question, I think it's your individual needs. Like some have stated it's sometimes what you need, like bras and panties. (I know I have in a few short months gone from size 13 down to almost a 8 in panties) Also it might depend on which part of your physique is changing faster .. if you are losing weight fast in one are maybe buy a few items to cover that area until you are @goal. I know I have over 80pounds to my long range goal but I reward myself with things to wear, so i will find something new here and there and if it is still nice after I get lower I can sew it down if need be.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #12  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I was going to make friends with Plato's Closet, a resell shop. And maybe hit up Target for bare essentials. Jeans, tank tops, bras, undies. I think my shirts would be ok if I pinned them in the back and wore a cardigan over that.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #13  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I pick up second hand stuff quite a bit. I've found leggings and dresses/skirts work really well, even if the dress is getting a bit big just put on a waist belt and it'll give you some good shape! Skirts with elasticated waists would be good too I guess.

I also pick up things that are a bit too small quite a bit so I can try them on every week or so to see progress, it's such an amazing feeling when things are getting too loose and you can remember when you couldn't close them.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 248:( see tracker:) 180♥

Height: 5'9

I actually just went shopping this week. I have gone from a 22 pant to a 16 and from 3X to 1X in shirts- I was so excited. It was the first time trying stuff on since I started my journey- down 30 and loving it.
I'm sure people thought I was crazy because I squealed and did a little dance after I tried on the first outfit. I just couldn't believe that I could fit into these clothes.
CircClerkJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #15  

CirClerkJen- That is so much fun. Even if your still working towards your final goal, those smaller than your used to sizes are always such a joy to feel them slide easily on. I'd be doing a happy dance too!

I'm still really early in this, and like I mentioned I have cloths from over a year ago that fit me at 170 pounds. Consequentially, I don't plan to let myself buy stuff really until I hit 160-165. Which could be MONTHS away. But today I was stopping in a Fred Meyer for some new mascara (needed something quick because I am totally out for work tonight). I was walking by the clothing area and saw all the 60% off clearance signs. I actually felt tempted to browse the racks! When I am at my heaviest I hate shopping for cloths, thats why I dont ever have anything I can wear if I were to gain above 186. But even just 5 lbs down I feel so much better about myself. Now I resisted the urge. We have a credit card we are paying off completely this month, and having our debt whittle away like that is so rewarding, I don't need to spend money, even on clearance cloths that I plan to grow too small for anyways (besides I have plenty of cloths I can wear again once I lose a few more pounds). But feeling good enough to WANT to try on cloths felt a bit like a little victory .

Last edited by wannaBfitnessbuff; 11-16-2012 at 01:20 PM.