3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Looking Good, Feeling Great (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great-204/)
-   -   Do you know how to fit a bra? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great/253261-do-you-know-how-fit-bra.html)

guacamole 03-22-2012 04:12 PM

I just bought a swimsuit in a 34G, same as my bra size, and it does fit me. Could be I just got lucky.

berryblondeboys 03-22-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guacamole (Post 4263891)
I just bought a swimsuit in a 34G, same as my bra size, and it does fit me. Could be I just got lucky.

What did you order and what brand? I'm wondering if bra companies who also make swimsuits stick to true size whereas suit makers don't pay as much attention.

runningfromfat 03-22-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berryblondeboys (Post 4263881)
I was just at the mall today looking at the new swimsuit stuff and they had a couple DDs out on the rack. They are NOWHERE near the same size as a DD cup in any bras. That's 3 different brands now that claim to have a DD cup size, but they are more like C at most.

So those of you have ordered swimwear by bra size - do you find you have to go up? I'm a DDD or G depending on the maker.

Were they in the same brand as the bras you buy? Because things can vary wildly by brand (especially if you're looking at DDD bras where there is more variation vs. G). In Fantasie I need the same cup size as their bras. I did end up sizing up in the band size (and then going down in the cup size) BUT that was because it was the last one left (got my suit on sale).

I need a new suit desperately and will buy according to my bra size (I'm planning on trying the Curvy Kate Bondi Breeze if I can every find it somewhere that sells it for a decent price!). I was thinking of the Freya Active but I don't think it's well suited to my body type. Most women I know buy according to their bra size. Although sometimes they buy one size down (if they're in between cup size) because certain materials expand once you get in the water.

runningfromfat 03-22-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berryblondeboys (Post 4263894)
What did you order and what brand? I'm wondering if bra companies who also make swimsuits stick to true size whereas suit makers don't pay as much attention.

I think that's exactly it. Reading other reviews/blogs pretty much everyone orders from bra manufacturers who also make suits and they order according to their bra size.

guacamole 03-22-2012 09:20 PM

I got a swimsuit from Fantasie - Bahamas One-Piece Underwire Swimsuit. However, I don't have any of their bras. The bras I have in my new size are from Wacoal. Although it fits, I'm not in love with the stitching on the cups - it kind of looks like my nipples poking out where the stitching almost ends, when it's really the stitched fabric rising up. Grrr....

sontaikle 03-23-2012 08:46 AM

It's funny, I've found with bikinis that I can do a tie in the back one with no problem. I was prepared to have to order one online, but my fiance and I went shopping recently and he told me I should try one on, just to see. I picked out one that tied for the band and was a halter top. It was nice and allowed me to just tie it as tight as I needed. I tried several in this style and they all worked great. I want a yellow bikini though, so I didn't buy any (yellow works great with my skin tone).

I still might buy one online, just because. I want something really nice :D

I'm trying to figure out my new bra size. Running saw this on twitter already but I discovered I probably need 28 bands. I do measure at a 29" underbust, but I really like my bands tight, so I usually go down when in between. My bust as at 35", upright, 37" bent over. So I'm guessing 28G and the sizes around it?

I recently found out from a busty friend that there were some real nice lingerie stores near me (my friend recently discovered her real size, she was cramming herself into DDs before) but I called all of them up and immediately asked what the smallest band they stocked was. All said 32, despite the fact that they all went up to K-L cups! Agghhhh! I can't even get by with a 30! :(

Trekking into Manhattan is probably ideal if I want to try bras on, but it's so expensive that it's actually more cost-effective for me to order bras online and pay the shipping. I'm not even that far, it's just between the cost of the train ride or the gas and tolls it just isn't worth it unless I'm there for something else.

berryblondeboys 03-23-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sontaikle (Post 4264535)
It's funny, I've found with bikinis that I can do a tie in the back one with no problem. I was prepared to have to order one online, but my fiance and I went shopping recently and he told me I should try one on, just to see. I picked out one that tied for the band and was a halter top. It was nice and allowed me to just tie it as tight as I needed. I tried several in this style and they all worked great. I want a yellow bikini though, so I didn't buy any (yellow works great with my skin tone).

So how did you manage to cover the girls though? Most of the bikinis I'm seeing in the stores have TINY cups/triangles.

sontaikle 03-23-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berryblondeboys (Post 4264555)
So how did you manage to cover the girls though? Most of the bikinis I'm seeing in the stores have TINY cups/triangles.

LOL it wasn't one of those tiny string bikinis. It was this one, from Old Navy:
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=898511012

Fit very nicely actually, but I'm just being picky about the color.

Only Me 03-23-2012 09:43 AM

This thread made me realize how old and stretched out my bras (the 2 I had been wearing) had become. Searching through my older bras, I realized that I'd be much happier with a 32" band, but the biggest I had was a DD/E cup, and that was laughable. I did find another 34DD though, that I had stopped wearing because it was too small cup wise. It's still a bit small, but the band is so much less stretched out that it's much more comfortable. I hate when the band rides up my back. By the time this one really fits me in the cup size, I'll probably really need a smaller band. Sigh.

Even though it's still hard to find the small band/large cup size combo, it's still way better than 20+ years ago when I was in high school. No one carried bigger than a 34D that I could find. When I'd tell the sales lady it was too small in the cups, they'd recommend a 36DD. Wonderful if I wanted to tie it in a bow behind my back. I probably needed smaller than a 34 band then too, but they just didn't exist except in tiny sizes.

runningfromfat 03-23-2012 11:29 AM

sontaikle - I'm guessing you can pull that off because of your age. ;) For me I really need supportive swimwear (and if I buy anything with ties it just kills me) but I've also had a pregnancy and breastfed so there's pretty much no firmness at all left in my breasts.

Yeah, the 28 band thing is a huge problem in the states. I'm not sure if anywhere in NYC carries them at all. :(

Only Me- If you can't afford to buy new bras at the moment, have you thought about altering the backs on your old, stretchy bras? I wrote a blog on 10 rules of bra alterations, which might help you in the meantime.

berryblondeboys 03-23-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runningfromfat (Post 4264780)
sontaikle - I'm guessing you can pull that off because of your age. ;) For me I really need supportive swimwear (and if I buy anything with ties it just kills me) but I've also had a pregnancy and breastfed so there's pretty much no firmness at all left in my breasts.

I know, I looked at that suit and I said to myself, "Maybe if I were 22 or 24" Not 42.

Now I'm trying to decide WHEN to order a suit. Pools don't open for 2 more months which seems impossible as warm as this winter and spring have been.

runningfromfat 03-23-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berryblondeboys (Post 4264784)
I know, I looked at that suit and I said to myself, "Maybe if I were 22 or 24" Not 42.

Now I'm trying to decide WHEN to order a suit. Pools don't open for 2 more months which seems impossible as warm as this winter and spring have been.

Ah, that's always tricky. I think in terms of shipping times you can expect 1-2 weeks (depending on if you order domestically or not) so you still have time. ;)

I'm getting to the point where I need a new one too but the one that I want (Bondi Breeze from Curvy Kate) isn't out yet in the UK (you can buy it in Australia but it's way more than I want to spend...).

sontaikle 03-24-2012 12:45 PM

Yeah, I know I've got age on my side. I think I'm going to go with that suit (or something similar) just because I'm really unsure of where I'll be in the summer. If I lose (or gain) more inches I can just tie that suit tighter or looser. If I go by bra size, then I might not be able to use it by the time the summer comes. :(

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up: Bare Necessities is having up to 60% off clearance right now. Some of you might get lucky. A few bras also have a free shipping code so look out for that when you're buying some!

http://www.barenecessities.com/searc...gmail.com&lb=0

eryn s 04-01-2012 04:09 AM

I thought I was done with asking questions in this thread but it turns out (as I'm sure you all know) that finding a bra in one style from one brand that fits you isn't the end of it. The variation I've found between brands (and even between different styles from the same brand) is crazy.

Anyway, my question is this: It's pretty easy to tell when the cup is too small for you (4-boob look, underwires not sitting flat to chest) but how can you tell when it's too big? If it was far too big that would be obvious but what about just a cup size too big?

I bought a new one yesterday (which is my size according to the 1 cup size for every inch difference between underbust and bust rule): It doesn't gape when my posture is good and my shoulders are back, but if I put my arms out in front of me I get a bit of gaping at the top of the cups. My breast takes up the whole cup (ie, no empty cup anywhere) but I can still fit a rolled up sock into each cup without creating a 4 boob look. BUT this is the only time I've ever had a bra which comes right the way around at the front and sits flat on my sternum, the smaller cup size didn't do that but apart from that the smaller cup seemed to fit better.

Thank you if you've taken the time to read this message!

berryblondeboys 04-01-2012 07:29 AM

Huh... I was going to say it sounds like it's too big, but I'm not sure. I have the EXACT same problem with the bra I have on right now. It's a Chantelle bra size 34G US (or 34F UK). It sits flat on the sternum but if I hunch my shoulders or bring them forward like now while typing, there is space at the top of the cup. When I stand upright with my arms back, there isn't.

So, I hope someone can help you with the answer because I can't. I'm thinking, for me anyway, that this brand isn't a good fit for me or that this molded cup isn't the right shape for me or perhaps it's a size too big for me. In my case there wasn't the next size down to try on as I got this for a song at an outlet store, but every time I wear it I wonder, "Is this too big?" Never had that problem with a bra before!