Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 196(HW220) /149.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Sum38, Iím going to have to agree with the others and say do not add 4-5. But frankly, I canít really comment on how your bra fits since I donít know how it actually fits. However, a good rule as far as band size goes is that you should be able to put 2 fingers comfortably inside your bra at the back of your band. If you canít fit any fingers, the bra is too small. If you can fit more than 2 fingers, your band is too big and isnít supporting you properly.

Also, as you try on other band sizes, remember that not all D cups are created equal. Volumewise, the cup of a 36D bra is bigger than the cup of a 34D bra. In fact the cup volume of a 36D is equal to that of a 34DD or a 32DDD. So when you try on a smaller band size, the bra will be way too small if you donít increase the cup size as well. So, if you measure and donít add 4, you should be trying on 32H bras in order to determine whether or not the 32 band fits properly. If you try on a 32D or DD it will probably be too small for you (as the cup factors into the band size as well).

Just a couple things for you to think about when you continue to try on other bra sizes.

Now for me. I measure 34Ē around my underbust and 39Ē around my bust. From your guidelines, I should be wearing a 38A bra. Oh dear. If I tried to put myself into a 38A, it would not be pretty. Funnily enough, last time I went to Victoriaís Secret (I wore a 36DD at the time), 3 different girls measured me in 3 different sizes: 38DD, 38D and 36DD. Fortunately I had already measured myself and knew how a bra was supposed to fit. But their measuring is unfortunately inconsistent, even among people working in the same store, and is also different from your way of measuring (my measurements were 36/41, so by your way I should have been a 40A).

My proper bra size now is a 34DD/DDD. But I just tried on an old 38C and 36DD in order to compare them to my 34DD (thank the weight loss for the fact that I actually have multiple band sizes around ).
-My 38C provided no support whatsoever and I could fit 2 whole hands at the back of my band. Not good.
-The 36DD was slightly better, but I could still fit an entire hand behind my band and it wasnít supportive enough.
-Comparatively, my 34DDs are so comfortable. I actually sighed in relief when I took off the 38 Ė itís not pleasant to wear. The 34 is so supportive and actually gave me the least amount of back fat.

That being said, not all people are equal and not all bras are equal either. The measuring is really just a guideline, and to find your proper size you do need to try bras on.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #32  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Totally agree with the comments not to add inches!!!

If only I could get my hands on a 28F bra, I'd be in business *grumble* none of my current bras fit correctly and they're all fitted per the old advice. I wanna burn them!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:11 AM   #33  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Here is a link to Nordstroms fitting

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-bras-fit

Happy bra hunting to all.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #34  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
Here is a link to Nordstroms fitting

Happy bra hunting to all.
I don't understand why when several people try to correct you that you're dead set on giving women the wrong advice on bra fitting. Can you not accept that you were taught the wrong way?

From what I see Nordstrom's is also giving the wrong advice

It doesn't matter what you find comfortable, by all means wear the bra you want. Just don't give other women the same ill-gotten advice that the lazy bra companies (those that don't stock anything below a 32 band, for example) have given to women because they want to force them into their small ranges.

Are you always going to be the size you measure at? Well no. I measure at a 30F, but I bought 30FFs and they fit perfectly. At one point during my weight loss I measured at a 34DD and wore a 34D. It's all about what fits, after all but I was never too far off from the size I measured.

Since I looked at your link, I hope you will check these links out:
http://braslessinbrasil.blogspot.com...-that-fit.html
http://www.thinandcurvy.com/2010/10/...e-correct.html

And no, I'm not wearing the wrong bra size, but I'm not about to take a picture of myself in a bra to prove it to a stranger on the internet.

I also think that I really wouldn't have that much back fat at this weight anyway...

Last edited by sontaikle; 02-22-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #35  
Fat to Fab and Fit

I yield, I am sorry; my intentions were good I did not expect to get my head bit off... I guess bra fitting is a sensitive issue.

.... but you better let these large companies know that they have no idea how to fit a bra

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/guides/bra.ognc

http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Sa...der=Size+Chart
Old 02-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #36  
I can do anything!

OK seriously, once again. No, they have no idea how to fit a bra. My underbust measures 27 and I am currently wearing a 32 bra that I think a small child could also fit under the band. Safety pins to the rescue, seriously.

Companies want to make $$$$$$$ if they can cram more women into fewer sizes it cuts down their production costs. If they had to add 30 additional sizes to their range they wouldn't make as much $$$$$$$$. It's horrible and it makes me hopping mad but, for them, it's simple economics.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #37  
Fat to Fab and Fit

Everything is a guide. Fitting a bra is an art form. I have fitted 100's maybe 1000's of women, I bet I am the ONLY one who has done fittings and seen that many boobies out of all these replies....sigh.

Have you? I am not denying that you may need smaller size. I have been denied my size.

I am ticked off. Just remember 80% wear wrong size...I did that for living....maybe 8 replied. Do the math.

End off topic. Wear what you wish. have your bra showing though your clothes. I will just sigh when I walk by you.

Last edited by Sum38; 02-22-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #38  
I can do anything!

I worked at VS in High School, 10 years ago. I thought the fitting techniques were 'off' then too... to be perfectly honest.

I'm not sure what you mean by my bra showing through my clothes?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #39  
Fat to Fab and Fit

All of you say it is wrong, but no one shows any proof

I mean, I see fat rolls, back rolls, boob rolls all the time under people's clothing (panty lines...don't get me even started). Same way I see muffin tops... It breaks my heart, because USA has soooo many options and cheap ones to dress well. I am European, and we take a great pride how we look and how we dress. Unfortunately 80% of American women start off with wrong stuff; bra and panties and the rest just follows.

If you worked for Vicky's then you should know, bra fitting is an art form. You should not be closed minded. Many women walked in and said that they were 38B and walked out with FAB fitting 36D.

I don't understand this hostility. Maybe constructive posts, but "YOU ARE WRONG but I can't prove" it attitude is nasty and hurtful.

Last edited by Sum38; 02-22-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #40  
I can do anything!

Nobody is being nasty. I wish American women had more choices! I just had to order bras from a store in the UK because as a pretty average sized woman, I cannot find a bra to fit me here!

Of course bra fitting is in art form.. it just seems counterproductive to keep handing out advice that leads to a bad fit.

I have no back fat to speak of... but if I wore a bra measured from conventional advice I'd have a band riding up my shoulder blades and boobs squishing out the sides of my cups. I'd post a picture but it'd be obscene!

80% of women wear the wrong size bra. Most of them because they follow the conventional advice and have a too big band and too small cup. It would solve a lot of frustration if women understood this. I spent years cursing in dressing rooms because I didn't realize that no bras fit me because I was "out of range" of the conventional sizing. It seems ridiculous to me because I'm so "medium" and average in every other way. I'm sure loads of women are coming up to the same problems... and understanding why might encourage the bra companies to give up their old way of doing things and help us out!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #41  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I have been denied my size. I am ticked off
I'm sorry your feelings are hurt and I'm def. not denying your bra needs!

Quote:
I'm not saying it's wrong for all. It's wrong for ME to add anything. I wasn't trying to be a fusspot about it. I guess I could have been more clear?

In my previous post, I linked to the nordstrom chart. That was my proof that both can work for different women.

I measure 42.5 inches, and I do fine in the 42 band. For me the measure IS pretty much the band size, just like the nordstrom size chart suggests!

But I recognize that some people measuring smaller than me DO add some inches to get their band size that is comfortable.

You say you measure 32 and feel good in a 36 band. Well, that jives with the nordstrom chart too. It suggests a 34 for you, but you are on the upper range of the 34 bracket so moving up one to a 36 isn't a biggie if you like that fit better for your comfort.

For me, adding 4 inches and wearing a 48 band might have the girls falling out the bottom if I raise my arms and jump around.

So you add, and I don't. Both can work, and both match the chart.

I can't vouch for the nordstrom video -- I rarely bother with video online to download and steam.

I also agree -- it's just guidelines in the end. Helps puts a gal in the ballpark and then she's STILL gotta go try a mess on in person to see where the fine tuning needs to happen.

But I think the adders and non-adders can live in bra peace

best wishes,
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-22-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #42  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
I yield, I am sorry; my intentions were good I did not expect to get my head bit off... I guess bra fitting is a sensitive issue.

.... but you better let these large companies know that they have no idea how to fit a bra

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/guides/bra.ognc

http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Sa...der=Size+Chart
A lot of bloggers are trying to get the companies to correct their sizing info. They recently got playtex to take down a bra calculator that added 5 or 6 inches to the band size (and thus, put me in a 36A!!!)

If a company doesn't stock below a 32 band or above a DD cup then they're not really a good company anyway. Nordstrom's is a good place to go to if you DO know your size though, since they have outside of that small range (just, you know, don't follow their advice)

It's about awareness, really. So many women in the US don't even know that there are sizes above DD so they think that they must fit in the 32A-44DD range or they're "weird." There are many band sizes (down to 26 inches!) and many cup sizes (up to L, M and more!) that women are just not aware of.

One of my friends recently asked me about bras due to my weight loss and I told her I was wearing a 30FF bra. She said "but your boobs aren't huge!!" Well no, DD+ doesn't equal huge boobs. That's why it bugs me that I have to shop in special sections due to my band size and cup size.

Quote:
...but we did. You're just choosing not to read them. That's not our fault.

Here's some proof as to what a proper fitting bra can do to a woman. It will even change your posture!

http://www.thinandcurvy.com/2011/05/...-bras-and.html

There's more out there but I have to look for it. The right bra can even make it look like you're thinner, but unfortunately I can't find the post I was looking for that shows that.

Quote:
But I recognize that people measuring smaller than me DO add some inches to get their band size that is comfortable.
Some of the women in the very smaller range (26,28, and below) probably do because they don't have much padding around their ribs so a tight bra would probably hurt them. I measure 30 inches and I need a 30 band...and I don't have much padding left though.

Last edited by sontaikle; 02-22-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #43  
Fat to Fab and Fit

Sorry astrophe my frustration was not directed at you I found your post fair and compromising.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #44  
Fat to Fab and Fit

This could have turned into a very positive thread. I think I told many times that I may be wrong, that I was personally open minded. I still am. I will go out and try on the suggested bra size. -- You know your body, I know mine and someone else knows theirs..... BUT someone out there may need some guidance, and don't you think us women should try to help eachother instead of cat fights?

I am not dead set on my bra measuring and if you read back, you will see that.

I would like to raise awareness, tho. Feeling and looking fab starts with undergarments. Let's encourage everyone get a fitting. I bet most of the time, even semi illfitted, it would be better what many women wear, do you agree?

I hate to see women walking out there cursing their underwire, when in reality one should not even feel it, or the back riding up and straps digging in.

Peace.

I was unprepared for the hostility. That is all. Lesson learned. I will go back in my own safe corner now

ETA: And this made me LOL... I clicked on new post page and this add popped up http://www.leonisa.com/en/fit-guide.aspx
I hope you will find the humor in it. I did. How appropriate or not

Last edited by Sum38; 02-22-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #45  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Cool. Glad we're good then.

Sorry you weren't prepared for the "Aaaah! No adding!" vibe.

I guess I wasn't as surprised as you because I've lived both worlds and currently reside in plus land. When I was a 36C teen I added. As a 42DD adult I do not and since most of my life it has been in plus, my initial reaction is not to add because that's me. Been a while since I was a teen!

I can't speak for all of course, and this is a generality... but I'm going to put forth this guess.

Not all people (maybe even some bra fitters) know this quirk about plus bras?

What DID surprise me was the Nordstrom chart including plus size people! You can clearly see regulars do add some to some degree and the plus people no longer add much to their bras besides the comfort inch.

It is a very frustrating thing for plus size bra shoppers not aware of this quirk to visit places like Macy's that only list the bra fit suggestions for regular sizes. (Adding to band size. No acknowledgement plus people exist and have other things going on in plus size bra world. )

If plus size shopper takes that adding advice they end up in bad "riding up the back" bras because they don't actually need to add.

Of course, there's other women that don't neatly fit into the general idea that "regular sizes add, plus don't." There may be some plus that DO add and some regular that DON'T add. We come in many shapes with breasts that are equally diverse. I know my own mom reports shopping woes from Petite World too.

This is why I'm going to stick with the adders and non-adders can live in bra peace.

We just need to save the energy to cruise the clothing racks and endure marathon fitting room sessions!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-22-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Closed Thread