Terrified of getting loose saggy skin...any tips?

• Im enjoying dieting (I know shock horror lol) but as I loose weight and get more energy the thing that keeps playing on my mind is loose saggy skin and im terrified of getting that, any tips? rachel.xx
  • Strength training! Tone your body. It'll help considerably to fight against loose skin, cellulite, etc. Also, if you're younger it'll be beneficial for it. I am not sure if there are any creams, but maybe an "anti-aging" cream would help a little, it'll make the skin more elastic-y.
  • Lose weight slowly...don't crash diet. Slowly gives your body a chance to adjust. Also, as said above, tone it up as you diet. Can't say it won't happen...a big part of it is genetics.
  • Loose skin will happen if it's going to happen. Losing slowly will just mean that you won't notice as much loose skin because you will be losing less fat. See, skin takes longer to shrink up than it does for fat to disappear so losing more slowly just means you are less aware of the slowness of the shrinking skin. If you lose fast, you will have to bear through the times where your skin has to catch up with your weight loss. Not that losing slowly prevents loose skin. Does that make sense?

Also, lifting weights does nothing for loose skin except to maybe fill the void where fat used to be, but..... You will not build up that much muscle as muscle is more compact and unless you are take steroids, you will never bulk up enough to fill that void.

People think doing x,y, and z... Works. But really.... It's time and genetics. With enough time (and it can take 2-3 years) it might all shrink back up. But only if genetics are in your favor.

And quite honestly, and maybe I'm being hormonal here, but it's getting comical how much people worry about loose skin (and I was one of them) when it is by far more attractive than fat - and that is just the aesthetics. For health, we all know the answer, right?

So stop worrying.
  • I have no idea if this is true or not but I heard drinking skim milk will help along with exercise? Not sure what the correlation is but I have heard this a few times. Also try some collagen creams, palmers coca butter lotions are awesome too.
  • How much your skin will tighten depends on your age, length of time the skin was stretched and how much it was stretched, how much weight you lost (and to some degree how fast you lost it), the amount of elastin in your skin, and genetics.
    However you can exfoliate look out for Yeast Extract, Aloe Vera Extract and Soy Protein. These tighten the skin, induces collagen and elastin production and reinforces the natural skin defense system. Hyaluronic acid restores water to aged skin and is naturally found in our skin and depleted over time.

Hope this helps