Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Almost out of onderland- trying to revamp my wardrobe

I'm hoping that I will soon be in Onderland being that I only have 5 pounds to go AND over Christmas I'll be a good situation to loose those last 5 pounds. Basically, we'll be at my parents house for two weeks so we'll have help with childcare (normally my biggest problem with working out enough) AND they have a stationary bike, an at home gym, and a number of good running paths nearby so I really won't have any excuses not to be in Onderland soon. The food's not so much of an issue either because my dad and stepmom eat relatively healthily and the treats that they do eat aren't really things that I crave (besides I can always go to the store there and make my own stuff if needed).

It's a bit of an emotional milestone for me because growing up I always thought of being over 200lbs as really big (and swore to myself I wasn't going to get there ever). Well, my pregnancy sure fixed that and since then I have yet to see a 1 as the first number on the scale. I really want to celebrate reaching this goal and my general idea has been to get some clothes (honestly, I desperately need some new ones at this point!). I'm thinking of something not very fancy since I still have a ways to go BUT I want to look nice because I will be starting a new job at the beginning of this new year. The problem is, is that I've really struggled finding clothes that flatter my postpartum body and I'm hoping that I can get some help here! I work at a university and am a mom so simple is best for me. My style is basically jeans/slacks and a t-shirt/sweater. I rarely wear skirts (they're not comfortable at all even when I'm skinny since my thighs always rub together ).

As to my body type, well, that's basically the problem. Just going off of my measurements I'm banana shaped right now, basically big everywhere! My measurements are:

Bust 46in
Underbust 36in
Waist 38in
Hips 45in

I also have a built in muffin top thanks to pregnancy so slacks tend to show off that roll more than blue jeans. Whenever I've tried shopping in the past my clothes just never fit right! Part of the problem is all the spandex they put in pants and they stretch out too quickly (I'm definitely making a point of NOT getting stretch pants, I heard that if you look for ones with thicker material that will help?). As of today I'm able to fit into my pre-pregnancy "fat pants" (odd since I used to wear these when I was in the 180's...) and they fit well when I put them on but they have a tendency to roll down underneath that lovely muffin top. Basically, that's always my problem with pants is that they roll/slide down underneath my muffin top and then look pretty bad but if I get them tight enough in the waist so that they can't do that (or wear a belt) then I just get a higher up muffin top! I'm not sure what to do here.

Shirts are also a struggle for me. I know if you have a muffin top then you're supposed to wear shirts that are looser around your waist BUT since I'm pretty large chested (still nursing), shirts that aren't tighter around my waist make me look ENORMOUS. Jackets/button down shirts never work for me EVER because by the time I find something that fits my chest size the waist size is HUGE! I don't really want to spend the $$ at the moment, though, to get them fitted since I'm still losing...

So, seriously, if you have ANY suggestions I would appreciate them! I really just want to go on what not to wear since I have no clue on how to fit my body!!! Normally they suggest that you should work your strengths but since I'm pretty much uniformly big I don't know what those strengths are.

Oh, and I'm cross-posting this because I'd like the opinion of both those that know fashion and members who have deal with the emotions of finally getting out of the 200's

ETA. I've attached a recent-ish picture of my body (I was probably about 5lbs heavier there). It's in black and white because the lighting wasn't the best so it's had to see otherwise. Sorry it's not upright, I have no clue how to change that on here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shape.jpg (9.1 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by runningfromfat; 12-16-2010 at 11:19 AM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255.5/196/158

Height: 5'7"

Hang in there you CAN do it. It sounds like you have good roadmap for the holidays. I just got to Onderland myself and look forward to hearing you made it too. I Have been staying on plan. I have a little bit of a strategy for the holidays but need to do more planning.

We're going to my brothers and when I talked to him about a place to stay this week. I asked what I can bring on Christmas Eve and he told me that I do such a nice job on Christmas cookies that I could bring a selection again this year. My daughter and I are good bakers and really have had bragging rights on the time consuming perfect little cookies. Well... I told him NO... I wasn't going to be making cookies this year as I'm staying away from sugar and I knew I couldn't handle the temptation with the baking and decorating.

I told him I would prefer to bring some healthier snacks like veggies, fruit, cheese, meat and crackers. He said OK.
kittycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #3  
June

kitty- Thanks! I think I was still holding on to some water weight (we flew this week) because when I weighed-in today I was 201 so it looks VERY realistic that I can hit Onderland very, very soon!

It's funny, I'm the complete opposite. I ask to make the desserts since I don't eat sugar and then I know I can at least have some. But cookies are a serious weakness of mine so I have never even attempted a sugar-free cookie recipe (it's probably if I never use one!)
Old 12-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

You look really good in your photo!

I'm a big 'What Not to Wear' fan and I would suggest you spend some time watching that show--full of great advice!!!

For what it's worth, here is my advice:

Ditch the tennis shoes. Seriously. Unless you are working out there is no reason to not wear another type of shoe. There is a whole world of lovely shoes out there and they will take even a casual, running to the grocery store outfit up a notch or two. If you can stand a heel, you will get a long lean leg line. If you can stand a pointed toe, you will really look tall and lean.

If you can wear jeans to work, invest in a good trouser jean. Very forgiving at the waist line and will make your legs look long and lean. The wider leg will balance your large chest. Go for the darkest wash you can find. It will look very dressy for work. Even if you can't wear jeans to work, buy a pair for going to the grocery store, lunch with a girl friend or going to a movie. Best investment you'll ever make! Very versatile. Try to find trousers in other materials for work. A trouser is classic and often comes with a wider waist band that overlaps. This is the most forgiving waist band. It will support a waist, define it and reduce a muffin top. Also, get a pair of spanx. They are very comfortable and will also help with the muffin top.

Layering your top half is the way to mask figure flaws too. A floating cardigan in a neutral color is going to become your best friend. It will look professional at work and really dress up a pair of trousers. Or a regular fitted cardigan if you don't like the floating kind. You can belt it (not too tightly) to define your waist or belt a top underneath it, which will also give some definition.

Underneath the cardigan, wear a thinner and more fitted top. Since shirts give you so much grief go for another sweater or fancy t shirt. Something will some embellishments on it or pattern. You're going to try to go for things that can be mixed and matched.

I was in the bank the other day and the teller who waited on me look fabulous! She had on a grey pair of trousers, a dark turqoise floating cardigan with a turqouise leopard print pull over type top under the cardigan. The pullover had some ruffles at the neck. She had it all belted with a thin black belt and she was wearing a basic black loafer. She was not body perfect but she looked stunning.

Get out there and treat yourself to some new clothes girlfriend! You deserve it and it will make you feel so much better. And post some pictures when you do

Last edited by ANewCreation; 12-17-2010 at 02:04 PM.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #5  
June

ANewCreation- Thanks so much! Oh, and I love the belt idea with a cardigan! Great idea! I think that would help to accentuate the smaller part of my waist without creating a muffin top.

Ahh, the tennis shoes. During the summer this is NEVER a problem being that I hate socks/shoes so I'm always in high-heeled sandals. It's pretty easy for me to find comfortable ones that I can walk extensively in. My problem is always finding nice shoes during the colder months. I have a TON of nice heels but they are either a.) crappy when walking through snow or b) hurt my feet like crazy when I walk a lot (we don't have a car and I'm flatfooted so that's a big issue). Seriously, if you have some good suggestions that are good for walking and have some extra support I am all ears!!!! I don't like the tennis shoes look either because it reminds me too much of my mom but they are oh so convenient! Oh, and we travel a lot (this pic was taken while traveling) so I need shoes that are pretty versatile with different outfits.

Yeah, I need a new good pair of trousers for sure. I'm starting to be able to fit into my larger prepregnancy clothes but the fit I had before is just not doing it for my new body. Before I was definitely an hourglass (instead of now where I have a thicker waist) so before I needed pants that had a small waist and were "baggy" in the butt/thighs. Now I need the opposite! Something a big loser in the waist but tighter in the butt/thighs. My old slacks are not doing me any favors right now!

I'm going to try and make an appointment at Nordstroms with a personal shopper (it's supposed to be for free!) so if I buy something I'll definitely post it!!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #6  

Hi Runningfromfat!
I wanted to offer some support and celebration on almost reaching Onderland!
It looks like we are at about the same place in our weightloss. Its a coincidence, but my highest pre-preg weight is also 188...I don't know why I remember that! lol, I also remember I was in the 170's when I got preg with baby #2...Reading your post and siggy was cool because we had almost everything in common...except the chest part, lol! I stopped breast feeding about 2 1/2 months ago, and the girls arent what they were. My son is 6 months old now, and I know what you mean by what pregnancy does to your body. How old is your baby?
Anyway I remember I was like 160ish when I got married, but my lowest weight was about 155, so I picked it as a goal.

I hope you do make onederland soon!! It will feel so good to see a "1" instead of that "2"!!!

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 12-17-2010 at 03:47 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote