3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Looking Good, Feeling Great (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great-204/)
-   -   Size of workout clothes vs. regular clothes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great/215483-size-workout-clothes-vs-regular-clothes.html)

pink sparkle 10-22-2010 12:33 PM

Size of workout clothes vs. regular clothes

For those of you who wear workout clothing, is the size of your workout gear the same size as your normal everyday clothes? Gosh, I know that probably didn't make sense. :o What I mean is if you wear a size 14 in regular clothing, are you also wearing a 14 (or equivalent large) in workout clothes?

SCraver 10-22-2010 12:38 PM

I find sizes of anything depends on the cut, the brand, the length, the style, the quality. Shopping for clothes is such a project. I mostly buy stretchy work out clothes. I like snug shorts/pants, so my thighs don't chaffe. I pretty much wear a large in everything right now. But sometimes, I need an XL shirt if the shoulders are narrow. Or sometimes L pants don't fit on me b/c they are too short.

pageta 10-22-2010 12:56 PM

Workout clothes were the first thing I bought as I lost weight. They're stretchy so I could buy a smaller size (my target size) and look presentable. Now the rest of my clothes are in the same range, but initially I had size S workout clothes when I was still wearing mostly M's.

luckymommy 10-22-2010 01:58 PM

I wear stretchy workout clothes so I definitely have them in a smaller size. Much smaller actually and that way, I know I won't have to buy them again like I do with regular clothes. However, if I was buying things like shorts, I doubt I could squeeze into those.....but that's another reason I won't wear shorts! ;)

beni 10-22-2010 02:53 PM

I don't really look at the size of my workout clothes. I try them on and if they make me feel comfortable, I buy them. I usually buy cheap ones, so if they are getting too loose I won't feel sorry to have spent a lot for them.My main aspect is not to have to squeeze into something, but be able to move normally.

caryesings 10-22-2010 02:58 PM

No, my workout clothes are clothes that have gotten too big to wear as street clothes. So I'll wear a size 8 pants to the gym and change into old size 22/24 leggings to work out in. Size medium top changes out for 2X Tshirts.

krampus 10-24-2010 09:42 PM

I'd say in terms of Small-Medium-Large I wear the same size workout clothes as street clothes most of the time.

pink sparkle 10-25-2010 01:56 PM

Thanks, everyone! I was wondering because I bought a new pair of workout pants. I thought I'd be in 12/14 but was able to comfortably fit the 8/10. So yay! Guess my next step is to buy/try on some street clothes to see where I'm at.

splendidsparrow 10-26-2010 12:56 AM

I'm with everyone else so far, for me it really depends on the style, however I have found that I run a size smaller in sweat pants vs jeans (or a size larger in jeans depending on the way you look at it?). But that might just be the way I like things to fit :S

RoseRodent 10-27-2010 06:12 AM

I find the weirdest thing is that workout clothes are taller! A Standard UK leg length of work trousers is 29-31 inches, with a 27 for "short" and 33 for "tall" sizes. Standard sports trousers are 33 inches long. Why? Do only tall women work out? They are even harder to take up than work trousers because of the materials and don't come in different leg lengths. I have to take 5 inches off sports trousers!

zeffryn 10-27-2010 02:29 PM

I find that the sizing of fitness clothes varies SO much based on manufacturer. I've found Under Armour to run large while Nike runs pretty true to size and that most store brands run small.

Petite Powerhouse 10-27-2010 06:58 PM

^ To me Nike runs true to size and sometimes even large on the bottoms, but the tops run small. Maybe my lats are just more developed than I realized, but I swear Nike tops run small. I wear an XS in regular tops, but I'll sometimes wear up to a Medium when it comes to Nike. In bottoms I wear an XS in both regular clothes and Nike workout apparel, but sometimes Nike XS is too big.

I agree with RoseRodent, too: Workout clothes run long!!! If yards of fabric aren't pooling at my sneakers, the pants are so far up my body it looks like I'm wearing a body stocking. It can take time to find workout pants that aren't excessively long.

calluna 10-30-2010 05:17 PM

I should spend life in workout clothes, then, because I forever have to wonder when the floods are coming if I can't find tall sizes. :) However, I don't find workout clothes particularly long either.

PaulaM 10-31-2010 06:26 PM

Have you tried Land's End fitness pants? I'm only 5'5" but my inseam is 32" and they fit fine on the length.

olfea 11-07-2010 11:25 PM

any size that's comfortable to workout will be just right

regular clothes, this is where i trick a lot to hide those extra curves