3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Looking Good, Feeling Great (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great-204/)
-   -   Job Interview attire. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great/212905-job-interview-attire.html)

Lindifer 09-20-2010 09:03 PM

Job Interview attire.

I have my first job interview in 4 years on Wednesday. I have to go shopping for something to wear to it since I have lost 40 something pounds and never had nice clothes anyway.

Any ideas on what I should get or where I should go? I have most stores locally but don't have a whole lot to spend.

Ursula745 09-20-2010 09:08 PM

What about a nice pantsuit or skirt/top? Maybe from Kohls, Fashion Bug? They have cute things for not a lot of money.

Lindifer 09-20-2010 09:09 PM

There is a Kohl's right down the street and I have never been in there. I will check it out tomorrow. Thanks!

L144S 09-20-2010 09:09 PM

there is tons of information if you google. It also depends on what kind of job interview.
Good Luck, hope oyu get it!

caryesings 09-20-2010 09:10 PM

Make sure to check out Goodwill/Salvation Army. I know I've donated suits in the past that had never been worn!

Rochester 09-20-2010 09:15 PM

In a Professional Development course I took a few years ago, the advice was to wear slacks not skirts, solids not prints, neutral colors, and no heels over 1 inch. And go light on the makeup and NO perfume. Good luck!

Lindifer 09-20-2010 10:25 PM

It's a retail store. Are white jeans a no-no?

I am going to go to a salvation army-type store first thing in the morning.

ValRock 09-20-2010 10:34 PM

No, I wouldn't wear white jeans. My interview uniform is grey slacks, a blue fitted button down, and black shoes with a slight heel. Never been turned down for a job :). Good luck!

bronzeager 09-21-2010 01:01 AM

Good luck! If it's a front position at a clothing store, I would check out what the employees are wearing and do the most formal/serious job applicant version of that. Otherwise the pants suit or skirt thing.

SeaWave 09-21-2010 08:34 AM

I agree with bronzeager - check out what other employees at the store wear, and find something that would 'fit in'. But make sure you're comfortable, because if you're not it won't work! Also seconding comments regarding checking out second-hand stores. My brother-in-law went from a hospital job (so scrubs) to a government job (suits). He lucked out at a second hand store that had unworn Armani suits for $20. He bought 5. Everyone he works with thinks he was crazy to leave a high-paying hospital job (not!). He hasn't shared his secret...

Lindifer 09-21-2010 05:46 PM

They wear black or khaki pants and a store polo there. I went this morning to scope it out and bought black flowy pants and a black and white blouse. I have dress shoes that seem a little too fancy, but whatever.

I tried on suits and skirts and slacks and everything and felt ridiculous and frumpy in everything.

I wore jeans to my own backyard wedding so this is very dressy for me. Now I have to figure out to do with my wild curly hair. Haven't figured that one out in my 17 years of curliness, doubt I will today either. LOL.

L144S 09-21-2010 05:49 PM

Glad you found something you like but remember that just because it feels really dressy to you does not mean that it is overdressed for the job .

QuilterInVA 09-21-2010 06:18 PM

Jeans are not appropriate for a job interview.

ValRock 09-21-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuilterInVA (Post 3489901)
Jeans are not appropriate for a job interview.

ITA! I used to hire for my company and if someone walked into an interview in jeans I don't think I'd hire them. Sad, but true. If you feel overdressed you're probably just right! The more put together you are, the better, no matter what the job is!

Good luck :).

bargoo 09-21-2010 06:41 PM

And don't chew gum. Earrings are OK but not long dangly ones, Pearl studs or simple( not too large) Hoops are OK.
No clangy bracelets, try and wear what is comfortable but not trendy.AND RELAX ! Let them cnduct the interview, not you. Good luck !