Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #1  
It's a beautiful day

S/C/G: 235/209/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Weight Loss = Hair Loss

i'm new here and wondering if anyone else has/had this problem.
i've lost approx. 60lbs. since feb.1 and in the last month or two have started to lose LOTS of hair!!

i did read online that this happens to gastric bypass patients but thats not me and i was wondering how you guys may have dealt with this issue

did your hair come back?? is it staying thinner??

i'm REALLY hoping it comes back!!

any thoughts out there??--thanks--caroline
caroline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #2  
I can...and I will...

S/C/G: 202/196/160

Height: 5'6"

Caroline ~ Congrats on your huge loss. That's great! I know that lack of GOOD fats can cause hair loss. What plan are you following?
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

From what I understand, hair loss is common with weight loss. As I got thinner, my hair got thinner as well. I found taking 5,000 mcg of Biotin daily has helped a great deal. I also use anti-breakage shampoo & conditioner which has also helped.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 268/237/200

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on the weight loss! I am a hair stylist and have seen lots of typs of hair loss and it should grow back there are products that promote regrowth (ex. Nioxin is the best) but it could also be an underlying medical condition (diabetic, thyroid, or hormones) hope this was helpful good luck!
missyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #5  
It's a beautiful day

thanks for the replies

it isn't underlying medical--thank goodness--just really frustrating

i will try your suggestions

as to my "diet" plan--really just good healthy eating and lots of exercise--i do limit my fats agood deal but do include olive oil and avacado in my diet--along with some others--just not much mostly fruits/veg/whole grain/lean protein
Old 08-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would make sure you are taking vitamins. I follow a fairly low fat diet and never had an issue with hair loss.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #7  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

When I did a low fat diet it definitely affected my hair loss. However, I was also eating too few calories and exercising a lot. So whether it was the low fat diet or high stress dieting that did it, who knows.

The funny thing is that this time around I eat a lot more than I've ever eaten on a diet, sometimes I exercise too much, but no hair loss problems this time.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I was losing lots of hair for years (before losing weight) - I obviously wasn't eating lowfat, but I had little to no good fats. My hair started growing back in after quite a few months of eating healthy. I think it was partly a delayed effect from eating healthy, and partly because I started taking omega 3s. I have a lot of hairs now about 2 inches long (they stick out ), especially at my temples where it looks like I cut in some wispy bangs (which I didn't).
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #9  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

My first three months on this diet I lost 60 lbs and also handsfuls of hair. It took about four months to stabilize then all grew back normally. I think it's just your body adjusting. Be sure to take vitamins if you're not getting enough from what you're eating, and check with your dr if you're really concerned. My hair is as beautiful as ever now, one year into it.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 245/219/160

Height: 5'9

when i turned vegetarian, alot of my hair fell out as well, my doctor said it was lack of protein. the samething happened to my mom when she got gastric by pass, so she keeps jerky with her at all times now, and it has gotten alot better. maybe you need more protein, might be worth looking in to??? good luck and congrats on the weight loss!!!!!
MrsVegan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #11  
Ready for final round!

S/C/G: 217/189/168

Height: 5'3

How happy am I to see this thread!!!! Recently I have been loosing so much hair!! its driving me nuts. I was worried I would end up bald! LOL. I have a vegetarian diet so I was concerned if I was missing something so Im going to start on a multi vitamin. Until I get my diet more balanced maybe this will help with the hair loss problem.
HeatherEljohari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #12  
It's a beautiful day

heather--

glad i'm not the only one suffering from this!! i'd say its time to get vitamins for me too!!

thanks for all the imput--caroline
Old 08-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

I definitely second the vitamins suggestion. For the longest time I lost lots of hair just from brushing and putting it up in a pony tail and stuff like that. It wasn't alarming but it was noticeable but I just figured it was normal because it never really increased or decreased. When I started taking vitamins regularly (I take the GNC Women's Mega) it has nearly completely stopped. I rarely see any hair in my drain or on my brush any more!
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 8"

I have problems with hair loss from time to time. My hair has always been very fine/thin and I always loose a lot when I wash my hair, but since losing weight it has gotten worse.

Maybe I should try taking a mulitvitiman every day too.
Moonlight Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #15  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

I haven't really noticed a particularly large hair loss since I've been losing weight. My hair has been coming out more frequently when I brush it or style it, but I assumed that's because I have so much THICK THICK hair. Really it doesn't look like a lot, but my hairstylist once commented that my hair is "deceptively thick". I'm also eating a vegetarian diet, and feel that perhaps I'm not getting enough nutrients. I admit to being rather lazy lately due to the after effects of a car accident, and so I have not been cooking many balanced meals for myself. I have started taking a multivitamin however, and I hope this helps.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote