Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 02-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #16  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I had a horrible allergic reaction to the Garnier.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #17  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I go black...I used to use the $3 stuff but I love Feria's Starry Black now..It gives a fun blue glow to my hair hehe. Just dyed my hair yesterday actually! My dark brown, red tint was starting to peak through.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #18  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

I used Clairol Nice n Easy or Hydriance w/the Clairol root touch up for a looong time. Decided to cut my hair short & let the color grow out. Wow, I got salt & pepper gray during that time! Anyways, I tried Clairol Natural Instincts semi-permanent color & I LOVE it. My hair is super shiny, the color is the best/most natural looking I've ever had & I don't have to bother with the tell-tale roots. Now when it's starting to fade the greys look more like highlights. Can't wait much longer than six weeks tho'.
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

(I used to be a salon manager...I am fully licensed.)

Not all Sally Beauty Supply places have ex-salon owners as staff. I have been to some (as a professional getting combs, developer, etc.) and they didn't know anything. I don't recommend them, simply because you don't want to be playing chemistry set, if you don't know what you are doing.

Most people don't know the difference between a level 4 or level 7 color, or between a 10 or 40 volume developer, and you don't want to find out the hard way.

If you are not a pro...I recommend sticking with store box color. This is because store color is meant for gray coverage, and SLIGHT color changes. What I mean by slight, is within 3-4 shades of your natural color. You can obviously add red tones, or whatever-but store color isn't meant to take you from black hair to platinum blonde. Any drastic changes should be done with a professional.

Here is my advice for the best results with box color:

~If you are a going for gray coverage, and are looking at brown shades, always choose a color on the box that looks a shade LIGHTER than what you actually want to go. If you want dark brown, don't buy the darkest brown they have-it will look flat black. When in doubt, choose a shade lighter than you think you want.

~If your hair is already colored, and you are going for the same/similar shade (touching up your roots and grays) don't put the color all over. The ends of the hair can get overprocessed, and "fried" this way. Put it on the root area, and only put the color through to the ends in the last 5 minutes. This will freshen the color everywhere, without frying it.

~Before you attempt a drastic color change, think about your skin tone, eyebrows, eyelashes, eye color, etc. Black hair dye on a woman who is a natural light blonde or redhead looks horrible in most cases. She doesn't have the dark eyebrows and lashes to carry it off. Usually only brunettes can carry off black well...

~The difference between $3 store color, and $10 store color is usually the conditioners and gentler ingredients. The higher priced are usually gentler on the hair, and are less damaging.

~If your hair is getting very gray, stay away from super dark browns, and bright reds-unless you go to a salon. Gray hairs don't absorb the color as well, and a gray haired person going bright red, can get "pink" instead, etc. because they don't have the base tones in their hair already. This is why many senior women have color their hair light brown to blonde.

~If you color, use shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair. It will keep the color truer longer, help it from fading out so much.

~Remember that a store color is meant to keep you within 2-3 levels of your natural hair color. They only have a moderate developer in them. Basically, hair has shades from level 1 to 10. This doesn't mean the "tone" (reddish, goldish, ash) but rather, the lightness or darkness from black to platinum blonde. Don't try to go more than 2-3 shades lighter or darker at home. If you have ever seen a woman who is obviously a brunette, and her hair is the "light orange" this is from using store color to try to go blonde. I guarantee that Velveeta wasn't the color she was going for. The box color isn't strong enough to take a dark brown to platinum blonde.

If you have any questions...feel free to ask.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I remember reading an article in glamor where professional hair stylists admited that you can get salon quality hair color from drugstore hair color if you pick the right colors. I have been using Loreal Prefrence for years, I had a hair dressor friend who used to do my hair (at my house) and would insist that I buy that stuff. For the past 5 years I have had my hair the same color golden blonde, only touching up the roots every 2-3 months.

I recently went brownish blonde (not yellow at all) and then a week later took a highligher cap and had my roomie give me highlights in a golden blonde color 2 shades lighter, then a few days later she gave me low lights in a reddish dark brown 2 shades darker. I spent no more than $30 for the 3 hair colors and the cap and my hair looks incredible. The light really catches the red and blonde highlights in it and it looks very shiny.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

For a few years I've been dying my hair black with Garnier, and that one lasted the longest out of all the colors I've used.. (my hair is not black anymore, it's purple right now ) As soon as my purple fades, I'm going to dye my hair a shade slightly darker than my natural color (light mousy brown.. bleh) with Garnier. My poor hair has pretty much every color you can think of, from black to blonde to purple to purple-ish brown to dark red, you name it, and I've used all different brands but Garnier is my favorite.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #22  
Simply Filling Technique

Question Great tips!

I have been coloring my own hair for forty years. On occasion, I have had a salon do it. I hate to admit this but 90% of the time I do a better job. HOWEVER, I do want to also say it wasn't because I had a knack for it, although I do have a good instinct on what shade looks good on me, but because I have listened to different hair colorists over the years and went home and applied what I "heard".

I was born a platinum blonde and my blonde hair went to ash blonde until I was 13 when it began to turn a dirty blonde (more ash than splash). I decided that I wanted to see what I looked like in red hair and so I colored it different shades of red for so long most people thought that was my natural hair color. Then, like a lot of you younger girls, I had to go black. There is such something mysterious and dangerous about black hair; especially if you aren't born with it. I returned to my baby light ash blonde in my early 30s and I have been that ever since. BUT......

NOW, fast forward to today, and I do mean today. I am nearing 55. I have watching my natural hair color start out with some white streaks in the front and slowly work its way back. I too have tried a couple of different times to let it go natural only to find out that it was mostly salt and pepper, mostly pepper---that old dirty blonde from when I was thirteen, remember?

As I am sure the others will attest to, the gray can be stubborn in accepting pigmentation. I too am tired of coloring after doing it for so long. I should own Clairol by now I have given them so much money over the years.

My gray or white is coming in a really attractive soft silvery and white color. It is really soft to the touch and it does look like I highlighted my hair when I pull my hair up in a ponytail. In fact, a few hairdressers have asked me who highlighted my hair and I have said, "Mother Nature!"

So, I want to grow out the remaining chemically processed hair that is on the top layer of my hair and from my ears back. What kinds of thoughts do you all have on that?

I like that idea of a couple of different highlights. When the roots grow out they are white. What does the resident hair dresser here think?

Last edited by pamatga; 02-05-2008 at 03:44 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I use Garnier Nutriesse all the time, my hair fades out and turned this weird reddish brown color that i dislike, and I love the dye. It stays really well and stays looking shiny. Hopefully you enjoy it too!
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #24  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'5"

LOreal Excellence is by far my favorite counter color out there. It lasts long for me, as well as leaves my hair shiny and healthy looking.
daizylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 286/219/145

Height: 5' 4"

I really like to use NaturTint. It isn't as harsh as the mainstream colors. It doesn't have ammonia and some of the other chemicals either. I used it a month ago and it still looks good.
ChrystalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #26  

The only one that I have found to cover my grey and really last a long time. I've tried about 3 diff brands and not too happy w/ the grey coverage until I tried Revlon Colorist It covered my grey and the color lasted a very long time!
PamG is offline   Reply With Quote