3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Looking Good, Feeling Great (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great-204/)
-   -   Is Old Navy phasing out ALL plus size?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great/112639-old-navy-phasing-out-all-plus-size.html)

Bibbler 05-14-2007 05:34 PM

Is Old Navy phasing out ALL plus size??

Was wondering... I was in Old Navy today, which I LOVE for plus sizes and everything (plus size) was 40% off. There was a sign saying that starting this summer, plus sizes will only be sold online. In a way, that's OK. I usually buy most of my stuff online because they have so much more online and the department in store is usually a mess, BUT it made me wonder if the line isn't selling that well and they might phase it out? I am actually worried about this, since it's one brand that fits me well and in which I feel stylish, but appropriate for my age and lifestyle.

Anyone know???

TIA

MariaMaria 05-14-2007 05:43 PM

The separate plus size departments ('W" sizes) will go to online-only. "Regular" sizes 16-20 that have always been in with the rest of the women's sizes will remain in the stores.

Holdensmom 05-14-2007 05:48 PM

That bites! I wonder why?

nelie 05-14-2007 06:32 PM

I went to one Old Navy store with a plus size section and personally, I thought the plus size section sucked. I did look at their clearance rack and ended up picking up 5 shirts for .99 cents each.

zenor77 05-14-2007 06:37 PM

I had a hard time finding my favorite curvy jeans the last time I went to an Old Navy. I was told that they were redesigning thier jeans line and that they wouldn't have any jeans until June (just crops and shorts.) I have been very unhappy with them lately. The fabrics that they have started using are much thinner that they used to be.

Bibbler 05-14-2007 07:18 PM

Nelie,
I think the stores are lacking, and maybe that's why they are only going to be online? Look online and you'll see many more great choices.

Maria, so they are only moving back to online only and will still be selling plus size? That's a relief :)

charolastra00 05-20-2007 10:29 PM

I'm really frustrated about that. I just got home for a month before starting an internship and wanted to talk my mom into buying me clothes- because hey, she only gets to see me twice a year and she misses shopping for me! Old Navy plus size tops and such seem to assume I have a much bigger chest than I do, so I don't really shop there, but there was a bathing suit I saw online that I really wanted. I knew I couldn't get my mom to buy it online but if I showed it to her in the store, she might get it for me because it's hard to find a flattering bathing suit that's youthful but still covers me. We get to the store and the whole plus size section has changed to a maternity section.

I realize that there are many pregnant women who need to buy clothes, but there are more women who would need to shop in plus sizes than there are pregnant women! Then I had to walk past the rows and rows of bikinis with only 2 one-pieces and not the full coverage two piece that I wanted.

It also annoys me because I live in an area where almost without fail it's the lower class women who in the majority of larger women because they don't have access to healthier foods due to budget constraints. Most don't have internet access. Old Navy offered decently priced and stylish clothes for these women. :(

Aquanetrocker 05-22-2007 04:05 AM

I spoke with a friend of mine who worked at Old Navy, and she said that plus sizes were a big draw for that store. I think some of the clothes were kind of .. uhh.. well, I thought they looked like drapes. But the jeans rocked and their plain tees were cool.
I just get really upset when stores decide to only sell "extended sizes" online. Fat women need to try on their clothes too! American Eagle, Delias, abercrombie and fitch; these stores all sell larger sizes, exclusively online.

shananigans 05-22-2007 10:09 AM

When I read the title of this thread I was hoping it would say Old Navy was phasing out all low-rise. :lol: I haven’t shopped there in a while, but in general I’ve always been able to find something I liked, and they’re priced right. Their mid-rise short pants and jeans fit me perfectly, but it’s really hit or miss if I’ll be able to find a pair whenever I walk into the store. I find a lot of low-rise butt-gap pants that are way too long most of the time. So annoying. I've never thought about at their online store, I think I'll go check out their online swimwear.

maegdaeien 05-22-2007 10:45 AM

It's less convenient to not be able to just try something on in the store, but online shopping isn't that big of a hassle. I think the Old Navy website has some really great plus-sized stuff-- I was shopping in that section for something for my mom, and saw some adorable dresses that I was upset didn't come in anything smaller than a 16 (I'm a 14, so it ain't like I'm tiny either)!

fireflytrance 05-22-2007 02:53 PM

That is frustrating. I'm a Textiles and Clothing major at my college and we talk about things like this. There is a huge plus sized market and the needs for it are not getting met sufficently enough. I wear a 14 and even then I go to a lot of stores that only carry up to a size 12 and it's infuriating!

TexasPixiStix 05-23-2007 02:04 AM

Whenever I go to the Old Navy stores that carry plus size (there are only 2 in Houston), their selection always sucks. Plus your lucky if you are short and find anything petite. I hope they continue to sell Plus sizes because Lane Bryant is to expensive and I dont care for Avenues style.

WakeMeForSummer 05-24-2007 08:38 AM

Old Navy (Gap Inc) is having a lot of financial trouble-- they've been laying off managers and cutting a lot of "extras" --- this may be part of it.

Sassy_Chick 05-25-2007 09:22 PM

Our Old Navy's already have phased them out, at least I've never seen anything in a "plus size" there........

Jeannette311 06-03-2007 03:42 PM

No wonder why I can't find anything descent! That sucks!