Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default It's BBQ Season: July 4 Food strategies

How are all you wonderful folks planning to handle the upcoming holiday? We are traveling to MIL's house to show off the baby. I haven't quite gotten my plan together yet, since I'm not sure how they celebrate. I usually try to take a strong interest in the watermelon! Maybe I should request one.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I just had a barbeque on Sunday. I called my friend in advance to ask her what she was making and I brought my own veggie burger, my own whole grain bun and my own little watermelon (which I ended up taking home with me because I left before dessert was served). My friend told me she had baby carrots and dip and salad, so I knew I didn't have to bring sides. I did have some brie/crackers but I avoided the home made macaroni and home made ice cream cake (which is why I left early, she started cutting the cakes and I figured I should get out of there before temptation won!).

I considered the day a big success, sometimes I avoid "party food" situations because I'm afraid I'll binge (one of my previous diet breaking binges was a 4th of July barbeque!!). I wanted to see my friend, so I just planned and went and had a good time - definitely not worth skipping a fun event because sometimes I am "weird" about food.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:20 PM   #3  
No description available.

Would you feel comfortable bringing a veggie burger or a turkey hotdog?

The key will really be portion control. Lean protein, load up on fruit and veggies and leave just a small amount of room on your plate for mayo-laden carbs. Try not to eat out of boredom or stress. Promise yourself no second helpings.

Maybe you could be in charge of the watermelon and fresh fruit. Maybe you could offer to grill some veggies.

Good luck!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #4  

Hi Anne,

I like Midwife's ideas. Do you like corn on the cob? I adore corn and, even better, I find it really filling and satisfying to the tooth. It keeps me out of serious trouble and it's not a red-light food.

When you come to think of it, a lot of BBQ is clean ... roasted meat, fresh fruit, grilled veggies. If you can those sorts of things, you can probably avoid the chips, potato salad and other evil lurkers. Baked beans are a good option -- high fiber and filling.

I love BBQs and picnics, too, and one thing I find helpful is to park myself away from the table. Like Midwife, I usually take the no-second-helping pledge. I also usually cart along big bottles of water or crystal light or diet soda or something ... anything ... to keep my hands busy.

Are there going to be games of either the rolling-around-on-the-ground variety, or the card variety? That could keep you occupied.

I'll keep thinking ...
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Depends on how it affects you, but I find that as long as I have food on my plate, even if I don't eat it, folks don't bother me. Or just fill your plate with the "good" stuff. Robin's idea about corn on cob is good, and baked beans too as long as they're not too "doctored up." If there are enough people there you can just say "I just finished" or "I'm full, taking a breaK" whatever.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:11 PM   #6  
Have you exercised today?

S/C/G: 271/170/170

Height: 5'8"

BYOF! Bring your own food. I love to marinate and throw Portebello mushrooms on the grill. You can cut them up and eat them like a steak or put them together like a hamburger. Very filling and much healthier for you, if you like mushrooms. I always volunteer to bring a veggie tray w/ a healthy dip. That way I know there will be something there I can eat.
FairyWinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:27 PM   #7  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Make sure there are healthy antipasti or appetizers available.. like a vegetable tray, hommus, olives etc in case it takes awhile for the other foods to be ready. Usually when I go to a bbq the only appetizers available are chips and crackers. It's hard to be hungry, smell the good food cooking, and watching everyone begin to nibble on stuff I choose not to have.

I've been known to bring single servings of yogurt too and throw them in the cooler for anyone who wants them. Whether for dessert or appetizer cool yogurt is good.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:36 PM   #8  

Jayde's mention of hummus reminds me of eggplant tapanade and spreads made of egg salad or tuna salad. Served with something like Kashi whole wheat crackers, they are a super snack ... filling and healthy. Oh, and what about stuffed celery? I love stuffed celery
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:40 PM   #9  

Some great ideas! Lots to use on my next BBQ. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be bringing or making any food (except baby food) since this is a cross country trip to in-laws. I like the no second helping pledge, so I'll do that for the wicked stuff. And I'll put myself on baby duty if things get too tempting.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:42 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne
Some great ideas! Lots to use on my next BBQ. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be bringing or making any food (except baby food) since this is a cross country trip to in-laws.
I'm sure there are grocery stores within a 5 minute drive of your in-laws. Pop out to get what YOU WANT to eat.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
Make sure there are healthy antipasti or appetizers available.. like a vegetable tray, hommus, olives etc in case it takes awhile for the other foods to be ready. Usually when I go to a bbq the only appetizers available are chips and crackers. It's hard to be hungry, smell the good food cooking, and watching everyone begin to nibble on stuff I choose not to have.
This is a good idea, I had a few difficulties at a Memorial day barbeque. I had my veggie burger and some fruit so, I did plan, but not enough. The hostess put out some Doritos and I was like, cool, I don't eat Doritos, no problem, no temptation. Then, she put out some baked whole grain tortilla chips and artichoke dip. She also put out hummus with pita. There were no plates, it was a dip thing. I ended up eating way too much because I wasn't prepared to say no/limit "healthy" foods. If I had had a plate, I hope I would have put something on my plate and only finished my initial serving. I ended up just reaching for "one more chip" way too many times! I consider it a learning experience though, I hope I would do better if faced with a similar situation.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:38 PM   #12  
The Beauty of Balance

Glory, I wish every hostess put out little antipasti plates and a small dip spoon near each dip.

I hadn't considered this until I went to a friends house and she had these tiny paper plates out before the guests even arrived. At first I thought they were for dessert later.. then I saw that they were for the antipasti. Since then I've always put out little plates when guests are over. Paper plates are better than anything because then people are more apt to use them... (I have several friends who hesitate to use dinnerware if it has to be washed... I guess they are trying to save all of us clean-up time. )

I buy mine in bulk.... at Costco of course
Old 06-23-2006, 10:39 PM   #13  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airegrrrl
Jayde's mention of hummus reminds me of eggplant tapanade and spreads made of egg salad or tuna salad. Served with something like Kashi whole wheat crackers, they are a super snack ... filling and healthy. Oh, and what about stuffed celery? I love stuffed celery
oooooh, eggplant tapanade. I have to try this!
Old 06-28-2006, 01:18 PM   #14  
Jennifer

We've just decided on the spur of the moment to drive up to Maine to visit the in-laws' for the holiday weekend, so I'm scrambling to put a plan together! I've had variable success when visiting them before, but since I'm less than two pounds away from my (sigh - still "initial") goal yet again, I DO NOT want to blow it another time. This time, my husband is also on board after having lost several pounds, so I'm hoping that will help as well!

Here's my plan so far:

1) Hubby is calling his parents today to let them know NOT to fill up the pantry with high-carb goodies in anticipation of our visit as they usually do. I consider their kitchen a MINEFIELD for a dieter -- the Raspberry Pick'em'ups I can avoid but chips and little cookies are my enemies. They have been better about this since I've lost weight, but they still think they're doing my hubby a favor.

2) I'm taking my laptop so I can continue to log my eats in Diet Power. Just seeing the calories I'm accumulating (rather than eating mindlessly) has been extraordinarily helpful in the past.

3) I'm definitely taking my running shoes so I can get in at least a little run every day. Hiking is also a possibility, and I consider that a real treat.

4) I'm planning to take some of my own "snacky" foods, like jerky, so I will have something to gnaw on when everyone else is stuffing face. Otherwise, I plan to fill up on lots of fruit (great idea with the watermelon!), some lean meat, and veggies.

5) AVOID THE "CRAB APPETIZERS" at all costs! They're english muffins with American cheese and crabmeat. I would never eat anything like this at home, but they're a guilty pleasure that I usually end up caving into.

Anyway, that's what I've got so far. I also like the "no second helping" rule. Keep the suggestions coming, please! They're very helpful.
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote