Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #1  

Default Not a maintainer yet, but terrified to be one

Hello Everyone,

Usually I mostly post in the support forum as I have lost 75 lbs since january but I still have around another 60lbs that I want to lose before I think Ill be comfortable. My problem/question for you experts is...the closer I get to my goal the more terrified I am of getting there. I figure Ive got this weight loss thing down so far and I have my routine and its working and I feel great etc, but what happens when I want to maintain. I am so scared that I wont know how to moderate myself one way or the other. I have become almost obsessed with thinking about what happens when I get to 170lbs. Can I do it? Where do I start? Why am I now so afraid to eat more than 1200 calories when I know I have to in order to maintain my weight when I get to 170...I am sure many others feel this way and I am sure some of you had some of the same questions. I just thought some advice from those who are already there and who are living it would help me feel more comfortable to approaching my goal. Thanks for all your time and any advice you may have.
Glasgowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

You will maintain exactly how you lost weight, so feel confident in your routine. Just up calories very slowly over a period of weeks until you reach the "sweet spot" where you don't lose/gain. It might take a little adjusting, if you gain a lb while trying to determine your maintenance calories, you have the skillset to take it right back off.

Last March, I increased calories very very slowly from 1400 to 1800-2000. It was terrifying to eat more, but also awesome because I love to eat and it felt decadent to have an extra 400 calories to play with every day (I could fit in MORE healthy nutritious food!).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
I am so scared that I wont know how to moderate myself one way or the other.
Well, as far as you have come, you apparently do know how to moderate yourself. You may be surprised at the more things change, the more they stay the same. As Glory said, you shouldn't see much of a difference from what you're doing now. Also, if you keep an eye on things you can eventually start to bump up your calories if you deem it necessary. When I began messing around with that I had this crazy fear that I would end up back at my starting point (210+) in a week's time. Obviously that did not happen. My fear had nothing to do with the actual "maintaining", but adjusting to life in this new skin.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Glasgowgirl, I worry about the exact same thing. I am 3 lbs. to goal and more afraid to try to maintain than to try to lose more weight. I really don't need to lose more, but I am afraid to change what has worked so well for me. I plan to make any changes Verrrrrrrrry slowly and see how my body adjusts. I gave myself 5 lbs. of bouncing room to try to get it figured out. I never want to find myself in the situation of having all this weight to lose again.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/163/155

Height: 5'10"

I'm about 9 pounds from goal and wondering, first, if I'll EVER get there and, second, how I'll stay there when I do. The whole idea scares me!

In anticipation, I've started to exercise (and trust me, this is a HUGE change), figuring that it will give me another variable to use for maintenance. Instead of just monitoring calories and adjusting the amount in, I can also monitor exercise and adjust the amount of calories burned. My hope is that when I hit maintenance this will make it easier for me to stay at goal.
idest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

It is scary to think about maintaining for the rest of your life, watching food intake, making sure you get enough exercise. But the alternative is absolutely terrifying, going back to obesity, feeling like I don't fit into the world, worried about my health and being self-conscious all the time.

And guess what, you are already maintaining. All that weight is never coming back right? Congrats. That makes you a maintainer in my book. Your body may still be changing, but you are already maintaining a new lifestyle, a new attitude! Weight management is about the same whether you are losing or holding your ground, maybe a couple hundred calories a day different, but the lifestyle sticks in successful maintainers. You are obviously doing a great job!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #7  

While you are losing weight you learn many useful things how to maintain. If you have a gain like I recently had those good habits you learned along the way will get you back on track. I maintained for 3 months then slipped back in to my old ways. We each have our own experiences and I know you can make this work for you. Yes you can do it.
Keya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:41 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keya
While you are losing weight you learn many useful things how to maintain. If you have a gain like I recently had those good habits you learned along the way will get you back on track. I maintained for 3 months then slipped back in to my old ways. We each have our own experiences and I know you can make this work for you. Yes you can do it.
I totally agree. Before, I knew what I needed to do, I just had no faith in it actually working. Once I accomplished something, I couldn't get away with not having faith because I knew what actually worked for me. While I can get frustrated with a 5 pound battle, I also have a sense of empowerment that eluded me previously. I know i can do it.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote