Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-29-2006, 08:27 AM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Personality Changes

I am curious as to how your personalities may have changed after you lost your weight or even during your weight loss? And maybe not just your personality, how about your life in general?
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I'm more confident, but it doesn't come from my body looking different as much as from the fact that I've realised that I can do anything, even the thing that seemed the hardest thing in the world, if I really want to. Any other challenge I face that I don't think I can achieve, I just think "you didn't think you could lose weight, and look what you achieved, so why do you think you can't do this".

But equally, I've not become a completely different person. The main words I'd use to describe me (quiet, introverted, independent) still apply, I'm just a little more confident than I was. I'll still enjoy a quiet weekend on my own, or go for a city break on my own, but I'll enjoy it knowing I've chosen it rather than assuming (probably misguidedly) that there must be something wrong with me because I'm fat and ugly and lonely and no-one wants to be with me.

I'm far more willing to actually take the plunge and do things I've thought about but never committed to. I've been meaning to learn Spanish for three years, and in October I signed up to the lessons I should have gone to years ago. I've also had a longstanding dream to one day run a marathon (even at 260lb I wished I'd be able to do it one day), so I signed up for one.

I'm also far more able to take a compliment and realise that I can inspire people and I can look good, and they're not making it up when people gush about what I've achieved. I've always tended to deflect compliments, as though I haven't really earned them, but now I've started to accept them graciously.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #3  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking

I really don’t feel like I’ve changed all that much. Although I do feel like I have more energy during day and sometimes still feel invincible. I’ve definitely gained more confidence and feel less depressed sometimes.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #4  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I don't think my personality has changed too much. I'm still horribly shy and have a hard time talking to people I don't know. I think I carry myself better though, and don't spend so much time worrying about what others are thinking about me.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:08 PM   #5  
Meg

Such an interesting question!

When I was 257 pounds, I wanted to be invisible. I didn't want anyone to notice me and never did anything to call attention to myself. I also didn't consider myself 'worthy' of spending time or money to look nice, so rarely bothered with makeup, didn't do my nails, never had a facial etc. And I dressed for camoflauge, not style.

When I lost the weight, I was exactly the same person who I had always been. Nothing really changed about my basic personality - my likes, dislikes, dreadful sense of humor etc - BUT I became far more willing to let my personality OUT. I didn't want to be invisible any more! Now I'm a lot more willing to be louder and more outrageous, to laugh and express my opinion - just free to be the 'me' who I've always been.

Losing weight didn't change my personality -- it liberated it.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

I've changed a good deal, I think. I'm more worried about what people think of me and how I look. I'm more quiet and aloof now, than when I was heavy. *shrugs* I don't understand why.
josie4 is offline   Reply With Quote