Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Advice on losing the last few pounds?

Hello, maintainers! I am hoping since you ladies have reached your goal weights, you can give me some advice on losing the last few pounds. I have been trying to shift my habits more toward maintaining than losing, thinking that it would help me in the long run, but I am kind of frustrated about these last three pounds. I am also not 100% sure that 130 is the right goal weight for me, and I had been considering changing it to be a little lower (but I don't know what I would change it to - 128 or 125?).

So I guess the questions here are: (1) How do you lose those stubborn last few pounds? and (2) How do you figure out what is the "right" goal and when to switch to maintenance mode?

I guess I am also wondering if it is better to eat more for maintenance, and hope that the last few pounds slowly come off (I've been losing about 1lb/month lately), or if I should really ramp it up and try to get the last couple pounds off.

Thanks in advance!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:11 PM   #2  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy
How do you lose those stubborn last few pounds?

I guess I am also wondering if it is better to eat more for maintenance, and hope that the last few pounds slowly come off (I've been losing about 1lb/month lately), or if I should really ramp it up and try to get the last couple pounds off.

Thanks in advance!
I'm wondering this, too . I think I've hit my first plateau ever and I'm wondering if it's because I'm "experimenting" with maintenance by adding just a FEW new foods (in super-moderation). Or maybe it's because it's harder to lose the smaller you are...

Great questions, Paperclippy!
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #3  

Great job!

Those last pounds are stubborn. I stuck to my low-calorie diet (1400) until I got down to exactly where I wanted to be. Now, I have about 1600-1800 at the most.

You might need to change your workout routine. It does not have to be harder, just different. If you usually do the treadmil, go to an aerobics class or vice versa, or try spinning or jogging. Also, if you are not lifting weights, that is an easy way to lose those last pounds. Don't decrease your cardio; just add some weight training.

I don't know about your final weight goal. I guess it's different for everybody. I am maintaining at 135 and am 5'7 and have a muscular build. I looked up my healthy weight range for my heighth and it's anywhere from 125-160. Check some Web sites.
Cherryh is offline   Reply With Quote