Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-25-2005, 05:48 AM   #1  
Meg

Smile Maintainers - Week Of April 25 - 30

Good morning, gang! I can’t believe that it’s a new week already! And wow - it's the last week of April! Where DID the month go?

I had the best of intentions about getting back and posting sooner … and lost a week somewhere … Life SHOULD (hopefully maybe ) settle down after next Monday – that’s the day I take my trainers test. Until then, it’s gonna be work, study, sleep a bit, and hopefully stay away from chocolate chip cookies (my feel-good drug of choice).

I woke up to snow this morning. All the blooms on the bushes and flowers will probably be gone when the sun comes up. I guess spring was too good to be true! DH and I are taking a trip to FL and CA (I’ve never been there) in May , but I really could use some sunshine right about now.

I’ve been having problems with wanting to eat too much and the wrong stuff lately and am blaming it on stress and just plain tiredness. It’s easy enough to recognize what’s going on – step one - and now I just have to be smarter about dealing with it. OK, I know I’m going to be tired and starving when I walk in the house at 9:00 PM, so better have something that I like fixed and ready to eat (and I don’t care what Oprah says – if I didn’t eat when I get home in the evening, I’d be too hungry to sleep!) So my plan for today is to hit the grocery store after my first client, pick up a ton of good, healthy FAST options, and plan out my day. And stick to it.

How’s everyone else doing? Check in and say hi and tell us what’s going on in your world!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:26 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Hi everbody,

I get tired of saying 'I'm pregnant, I'm tired, I'm eating too much' over and over so I didn't post last week. Things are going pretty much the same for me.

Last week we went to Boston for the Boston Marathon. DH ran, and did a great job considering that he was sick and injured and it got pretty hot.

On tap this week is still more business travel. It just sucks the energy right out of me, so I fully expect to be a zombie for a few days after I get back on Wednesday. I've told work I'm not travelling after the end of June and they are OK with that, so only a couple more months of this madness left, and I'm thinking it will ease up some before that anyay. Well, I'm hoping.

Meg, best of luck on your test. You are going to do great!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:51 AM   #3  
Mel

Hi Anne and Meg and all you other Maintainers

Anne- Don't worry, you'll be done with saying "I'm pregnant and tired" soon enough. It'll change to "I have a baby and I'm tired...I have a toddler and I'm tired...I have a pre-schooler and I'm tired...I have a kid and I'm tired...I have a teenager and I'm tired...my kid's in college and I'm exhausted...." The fun just never ends I'm glad you can stop traveling soon. That part must really be tough.

Meg- I wouldn't worry a whole lot about what Oprah says, either. I've literally eaten just before brushing my teeth and falling into bed and it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference as long as it's the right food and within your caloric limits. Now if you're talking chocolate chip cookies and ice cream, it's a whole nuther story

My solution these days is bulk cooking. I get home from the gym pretty late every day too. I've been cooking huge batches of food...enough for myself, dh and ds to pretty much get through the week. A giant pot of ground turkey, black bean and chick pea chili, a giant oven-stuffer chicken, some chicken breasts for myself, a couple of baked sweet potatos, protein muffins, big slab-o-salmon.... Some of it's freezable, all of it keeps and you can just add some steamed vegies and a dh friendly carb. It does help that dh and ds will eat pretty much the same food with some additions that I eat.

Off to the gym. Couple of clients, then chest and cardio, then a few more clients, fall into bed and start over. What a life

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:31 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Things in my neck of the woods are going pretty well... Food last Friday and Saturday were not good, but Sunday and today are another thing and I'm back on track I feel great...

Mel -- I've got some chili in my future too, gonna make it when I come back from doing legs...

Meg -- Good LUCK with your testing, you are my hero!! Mel too, I don't think I'd have the patience to be a PT, OYE all the people coming at me with their problems!! You're both quite patient to take all this ...

Anne -- I had to laugh at all of Mel's comments about kids, they are ALL true, ENJOY your pregnancy and your quiet time because it's alll going to change all too soon.!...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:40 AM   #5  

Hi everyone and happy Monday.

Meg - sending more luck your way for your test (though I'm sure you won't need any when it comes down to it). You're gonna do great.

Mel - is your chili recipe posted somewhere? It sounds fabulous and I would like to try it. Bulk cooking works well for me, too. I love just throwing a bunch of frozen chicken breasts with chunks of onion in the skillet. I cut it all up, divide it into 3 oz portions and stick them in baggies. It's a lifesaver for me during the week because I hate to cook - especially meat.

Anne - also had to laugh at what Mel had to say about parenthood. Funny and very true! Hope your week goes well.

Ilene - happy you're back on track and feelin' great about it.

This past weekend was the first one IN AGES that I didn't screw up eating-wise. I actually stepped on the scale this morning to discover, for once, that I didn't end up with the usual weekend poundage. My goal is to lose 4 lbs in the next 4 weeks. I've planned a weekend getaway to SoCal for a 6th grade mini-reunion and it's going to be my current motivation to kick some booty.

I've discovered a good fiber source. All-Bran Bran Buds has 13g of fiber and the serving size is only 1/3 cup - I love only having to eat a little to get a lot of fiber. My new favorite snack is 1/2 cup cottage cheese, sliced fresh strawberries, a touch of Splenda and 1/3 cup Bran Buds as a crunchy topping. It's yummy and packed with nutrition - a nice combo.

Time for some housecleaning before step class today. Hope you all have a great day and week!
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:03 PM   #6  

Hi, everybody,

Nice to hear everybody isdoing fine!

Meg - I am sure you learn good things for your test and you will use them in your line of work! Good luck!

Mel - how true about kids! I only can add that when you have a choice of having kids of very different ages like I have my rule is: the younger kids are, the less tired you are! True - your teen will be able to exhaust you in seconds! And it will not be physical exhaustion - he-he!

Anne - enjoy your pregnancy - first one is the best!

Karyn - I should read your post before my weekend... I always add up some poundage during weekend, I think it is a great achievent to step on the scale and see what you want to see!

My weekend was very nice. We were invited to the party on Saturday - so I did not have to cook, and we spent whole Sat gardening - I finally can say that now I know what FitDay calls gardening, vigorous... On Sunday we had guests and we continued our gardening, and again I am sure I can check it in as vigorous. I dream about the times when we will be able to just sit and enjoy our wonderful garden! My weight stayed the same, which is fine considering all the parties (I found out that shishkebab is a perfect BBQ party hit - meat is marinated, I do not eat starch, only salad with it, and it is very filling).

Hope everybody has a good week,
Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:33 PM   #7  

Hello everyone! This is my first real "Maintainers" post... But I have been lurking for a long time. I've been keeping off around 70 pounds for about two years now. I gained about 10 pounds back, but have been really working hard to lose it, and now I have just 3 pounds or so left to lose.

I agree so much with what everone has said. I work long hours, and if I don't bulk cook (chili is may favorite, too) on the weekends, I'm in trouble. And that chili makes an fantastic taco salad, if you put it on lettuce and add a few baked tortilla chips.

I'm also coming off my first weekend in a long time where I didn't fall off my plan. DH is very, very social, and we usually end up in a pub or party on the weekend, and despite my best intentions, I end up eating/ drinking a bit much. This weekend I volunteered to drive on Friday night, and then we avoided going out for the rest of the weekend...

I went shopping for spring/ summer clothes on the weekend, and I can definitely see a difference since I've been exercising regularly - pretty much down a size.
However, it seems to all have come from my midsection, and none from my thighs, so I think I am currently two different sizes... :0) Some of the pants I tried on looked mighty funny.

Does anyone else feel the need to let people who never knew the "old" you that you are a formerly obese person? I've noticed this in myself recently, as I have new friends, have switched jobs, and many people only know the "new" me. It's not because I want a pat on the back or anything, I think it's more that being a fat girl is still maybe part of my identity? Losing a lot of weight is very much a psychological journey, isn't it? And it still kind of bugs me how much better I get treated now than I did when I was obese. Strange how you cease to be invisible...

Anyway, thanks for letting me join into the conversation... I've never posted in a weekly thread, as I'm a bit shy, but I really think this forum can help me keep this weight off for good.

Sue
245/178/175
SueJo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:18 PM   #8  
Mel

Hi SueJo Nice to "see" you out of lurkdom We're delighted to have you join us. Posting here has helped me stay focused, I know that!

I do know what you mean about letting people know about the "old" you. I have really mixed feelings about it. Part of me wants to distance myself as far as possible from the old me, but I do tell people. I've lost about 10 pounds since last November after maintaining a 50 pound loss for 3 years. I'm getting a lot of compliments now from people who didn't know me five years ago, and I'm never sure how to respond. Ten pounds? Ha! That's NOTHING! but cosmetically, it makes a huge difference and that's what people in my new life see.

Congratulations for staying on plan this weekend Now you need to figure out how to still be sociable AND stay OP! (then let the rest of us in on the secret)

Welcome to Maintainers!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #9  

Welcome SueJo! I know what you mean about letting new people in on our dark little secret. I feel like, if it's someone who I care knows the "real" me, then it's something I have to share. Even though that is a life I never plan to live again, it did help to make me the person I am today, and is as much a part of me as anything else. I don't think someone can truly know me if they don't know about such a huge, impactful part of my life. It certainly isn't something I offer up in everyday conversation, but when it matters, I do tell. As for the rest of the time, I look at it as sort of a little inside joke and get quite a chuckle when people make off-handed comments they would have never made, had they known about the old me. It makes for funny stories to tell my husband or mom about later.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:26 AM   #10  

Morning:
Welcome Sue and congratulations on your accomplishment.
Personally I don't tell people who don't know about my weight loss. My personal view is its on a need to know basis. If I feel it would encourage someone I share but otherwise no. Thats just my view.

Right now I am back to losing mentality, not maintaining as I am well above my comfort zone. I need to buckle down as the past few month have been difficult. I am feeling better but its time to "nip it in the bud".

Take care,
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #11  

Good afternoon... I think Beverly hit the nail on the head - I think being a former fat girl is still a big part of my identity... I mean, I have been overweight or obese probably 95% of my life, and dealing with that is part of who I am. So while I don't announce it, if someone is close to me, I feel the need to share that...

The week is still going well... We're going to dinner theatre tomorrow, so I have kept my eating & exercising very strict this week so I can enjoy my dinner tomorrow. We went to a pool hall last night, but I made sure I ate first... My hubby is slowly starting to get a bit healthier (he's been working out a lot, and now he's slowly trying to curtail the beer and pub food), so both of us just had diet coke. Made it easier!

Hope everone is having a good week.
SueJo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:53 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Hi SueJo another fellow Canuck!! It's so much easier when DH is in with you on the food choices... Now if I could only convince 2 teenagers!!

Today was Secretaries Day, just another reason for people at work to give you FOOD!! The vice-principal gave us an individual piece of cheese cake, I had a quarter of it, felt stuffed and put the rest in the fridge, I'll probably secretly/discretely throw it out... My partner ate the whole thing and she felt sick afterwards, she's skinny and can eat anything...she eats a JoeLouis and a bagel with a coffee for lunch , this woman cracks me up!! I was very VERY happy that I hadn't eaten the whole thing or I would have wanted to fall asleep on the spot, sugar makes me tired and the second side effect is GUILT... The lesser of the two evils, for me, would have been the sleepiness ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:58 AM   #13  

Hi maintainers,

And congratulations to you Ilene for keeping strong when tempted by the cheesecake. I also am now slowly coming over to keeping the stuff away from me in order to avoid trouble: when I know the kids and DH are not going to eat it, I either freeze the stuff or just throw it away.

Anne... I agree fully with Mel!!! And with Sashenka... After this, you'll be saying I'm tired for years, but kids are huge fun. I found the babytime quite doable with a job, but now they are at the end of primary school, and entering secondary school... 10 and 13 years old and I find this getting much more difficult as they both are developing a mind of their own and sticking to it. I wonder where they get this stubbornness from???

Anyway, I still am more or less on plan. We'll be having festivities at the end of the week because of the celebration of the queens birthday and celebrating that she is queen now for 25 years. I'm not planning on anything special myself though.
I am putting some more intensity into the weightlifting thing and even if it doe not work to take the weight off it sure makes you feel good.
I do not lift as heavy as most of the people on the board, but I sure feel very powerfull when I work out with my barbell. i gave it to myself as a birthday present last march, and I have added another 1 kg to it today !!!(I am now ar 10 kg for the barbell + 2x 1kg plates)

have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 05:19 AM   #14  
Meg

TGIF, gang! Where DID the week go? And why isn’t the laundry done??

Welcome Sue and for heaven’s sake, don’t be shy. Most of us don’t bite unless we haven’t been fed for a while. Have fun at your dinner tomorrow night!

Ilene, you are SO right about the after-effects of carbs: sleepiness and guilt! Totally not worth it. Funny how I never wake up the morning after a carb-travaganza and say 'wow! That was really worthwhile! I’m so glad I ate all that ________.' But there sure are lots of mornings (like today) when I wake up and am SO glad that resisted temptation. So I try to remember how I’m gonna feel in the morning when I’m trying to face down ...

Rabbit – on going up in weight! Love the idea of a BB for a birthday present. The cool thing about weightlifting is that it doesn’t matter what anyone else is lifting – it’s all a competition with yourself.

Of course, a little friendly rivalry never hurts either! I worked out legs with one of the other trainers yesterday when we had a break in the action. He doesn’t do legs very heavy so I was able to match him on weights (and generally did more reps – tee hee). Once I saw that I was close to his level, I decided that I’d try whatever weight he was doing and that really pushed me a little further than usual. My legs are sore this morning but I know it’s really going to kick in tonight. Good sore, though.

No problemo – my weekend’s going to be a few clients and study, study, study. I don’t need functional legs for that – hey, if I can’t walk, maybe it will keep me from wandering over to the frig for study snacks! I will be SO freaking happy to have this test behind me – so long as I pass, of course!!

Funny story – I got a new client this week just from wearing my trainer shirt! I was running errands after I left the gym and went to a local boutique bread bakery for a loaf of – horrors! – whole grain bread. The owner waited on me, we started talking, and she came in yesterday and signed up for training. So now I have to wear my fire engine red Ballys shirt and name tag wherever I go!! And here I used to think that BLUE was my color.

Off for cardio and studying. Wonder if my legs will work??

What’s everyone up to for the weekend?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:56 AM   #15  

TGIF
I all hope everyone had a good week.
Enjoyed the poll on the 97% vs the 3% since that scale is up I am working on achieving all four goals.
A good week here so I am happy. The stressors in my life are high but I am working on coping and dealing with them with out food, which leads to more stress. So I guess I am progressing forward once again. The exercise has been helping in improving the coping.
Meg good luck with your studies, you have worked very hard and will be rewarded.
Sue enjoyed the dissusion over who we tell our story to. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty for not sharing but I feel better see I am not alone on this.
Rabbit: Enjoy your celebration, good for you on increasing the weights. Just remember to add slowly.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote