Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-30-2004, 10:30 AM   #16  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsx4
do you give the pets the eggs raw or cooked? The idea of eating raw eggs makes my skin crawl!
Cooked!! Sorry for the confusion... I scramble the eggs up for them. I would NEVER feed my pets raw eggs for the fear that they might get samonella poisoning and keel over.
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:59 PM   #17  
Mel

OOPS! Cleo the Wonder Dog loved the raw yolk that was drizzled over her food this morning. I never even thought about salmonella. Is that in the yolks as well? Shoot, it's hard enough getting breakfasts cooked for the people in this house, now I have to cook for the dog???
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:10 PM   #18  
Meg

I recall reading that the chance of getting salmonella from raw eggs is about 1 in 10,000. Perhaps Cleo is willing to play the odds?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:22 PM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

My view on throwing out the yolk is that we throw out the skin on our chicken and don't think twice about it, we should think of the yolk in the same manner...I buy egg whites in the carton anyways...But I would throw the yolk out if I had to....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:14 PM   #20  
Mel

Cleo has informed me that she's a gambler. I dropped an egg this morning and she got it all before I could even bend over.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:52 PM   #21  

Animals just love them. The raccoons and foxes used to raid my grandmother's henhouse and suck dry every egg they could find. The yolk does have a lot of good stuff in it, vitamin E and choline, etc. But modern eggs are huge, with a huge yolk-- the ones we had when I was a kid were half the size. But they seemed to taste better, too, so fresh they still had chicken poo on them.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:52 PM   #22  
Old Cackler

eeewwwwww. icky image, SITC!!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:16 PM   #23  
Rattie Lover

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.......
Old 04-07-2004, 12:41 AM   #24  

Just a little yolk for y'all...
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:14 AM   #25  

Dogs need protein so if yours is eating just dry food, give him your yolks. Raw is just fine; dogs have a natural immunity to certain bacteria, and don't get the same diseases or sickness humans do, and vice versa. I just started about 6 weeks ago using Eggbeaters and All Whites in the carton. Before that, my dogs got the yolks, scrambled and raw.

Farm fresh are the bestest, warm out of the chicken. I agree with caligirl - we have a thing about waste.

Oh yeah - 'fess up - who hasn't scraped/licked the cake batter bowl or even eaten spoonfuls of cake or brownie batter ala raw eggs?

dip
diphthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:54 AM   #26  
Old Cackler

oh back when i was a kid, sure i was a GREAT batter licker!!!

but now... you mean, you folks BAKE?????
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:40 PM   #27  
Mel

I haven't baked anything but home-made protein bars and the obligatory husband birthday cake in 3 years. I used to be the chocolate pastry queen- even have an album of pictures of tortes and tarts I've made. Family is not thrilled, but my son is learning to bake, and learning to hide the goodies from mom!
Old 04-07-2004, 04:47 PM   #28  
Rattie Lover

Raw Cookie Dough Story Here...

In high school I use to run the child care center. Well at the end of the year we'd do that kids graduate thing and bake them all cookies. Well, we had a bunch of leftover dough and so I was nibbling on it here..nibbling on it there...nibbling on it ALL DAY. My teacher warned me..."Angel...you better cut that out or you are going to get SICK!! I know it tastes good but 2 tubes is NOT good for you." I felt fine....until...later. OH BOY.... After I got home I started to feel realllllly queasy/sick. And I got real sick. Yeck. I learned my lesson. No more pigging out on the cookie dough tubes!!

I admit I am guilty of licking the beaters and bowl...but that's all now! hahahaha and this only happens when I visit the MIL. Noodles doesn't bake/cook. LOL!
Old 04-07-2004, 06:43 PM   #29  
Ilene the Bean

I used to make cookies and a batch usually makes 40 or so, well I would only get 12 or 20 cause I ate the batter as I was putting the batter on the cookie sheet... only made one sheet! That's sooo gross to me now!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:12 PM   #30  
Meg

Default More Raw Cookie Dough Stories!

When you were a kid, did you ever make one of those exploding volcanoes with baking soda and vinegar? If you did, you'll appreciate what happened to my neighbor (swear to God it's true, I was there) ...

She made chocolate chip dough from scratch, which includes baking soda. And then ate most of it raw. And then drank about 2 liters of Pepsi. Apparently the Pepsi reacts with the baking soda the same way those homemade volcanoes do -- lots of gas and bubbling and foam. She thought she was going to die for a couple of hours until it all settled down.

Jiff, I bake for DH. He's lactose-intolerant and can't eat store-bought baked goods. So we've always got cookies in the freezer.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote