Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 09:24 AM   #1  

Default Question for you Meg or anyone else.

You probably get so many of these extra skin flab questions. But it seems o be a big problem for most people that lose weight. I am definately one of them. Let me first say I joined 3fc last year in Jan weighing 200lbs. This year in Jan I was down to 132. I am at goal weight at this time. I worked out at home that first year doing Walk Away the pounds. I recently now joined the Y. I have to say I took the time to look at your pics and WOW! If I could look half that tone. My question is what exactly is your work out routine. I know you lift. But do you use the free weights or the circuit machines. How much time do you spend a week at the gym? I have been doing the cardio class (step areobics) We do some toning exercises and abs also. With all light weights. On Tuesdays I do the water aerobics. Which I was suprised how hard it really was because of the water resistance. I have recently been shown how to use the circuit machines and I am going to hopefully start soon. I just have to figure out how to get it all done in the two hours they give you for the daycare. I know nothing about using free weights. I will never have enough money to have any surgeries so I have to try my best to do this on my own. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I wanted to say one more thing. Hopefully I will have time to post more often. I have not posted on 3fc in awhile. I have been lurking but just not posting. All of the threads that I used to post on have died off. I was glad to see the new maintainers forum. I have never had much problem losing the weight its the keeping it off the gets me. So thanks for starting this forum!
Old 01-24-2004, 07:39 PM   #2  
Mel

Default Look down a few threads

Hi Losing in Illinois! If you look down a few threads, there is one called "Questions on excess skin". MrsJim has a post with several references to previous threads on this and other forums which may answer some of your questions. First, congratulations on losing the weight! Just as a real quick answer: what happens to your skin depends on genetics, your age, how overweight you were, for how long, sun damage, whether or not you smoke(d), and whether or not you have torn the underlying layers. It is very individual, but most of us have found that we do have a skin problem, no matter how we lost the weight. Meg and several others on this forum have had surgery, and others are exploring the possibilities.

Lifting weights will certainly help you look better, fill up some of the skin, and make you stronger and healthier, but if you have significant amounts, no amount of weight lifting, healthy oils, massages or lotions will make much of a difference. Weight lifting is wonderful, tho!

You certainly don't need to spend 2 hours lifting! If you are working with intensity, 1 hour is plenty. If you cannot afford to hire a trainer for a few sessions, hang around the gym and ask questions of people who look like they know what they are doing. Most people are thrilled to help as long as you don't interrupt them in the middle of an exercise or take up too much of their workout time.

Mel
Old 01-26-2004, 05:02 AM   #3  
Meg

Hi Losing and we’re so glad you found us! Congratulations on your weight loss! You really hit the nail on the head when you said that keeping the weight off is the hard part. I’m sure that you — like the rest of us — have lost lots of weight in the past, but haven’t been able to keep it off. So that’s why we’re all here — we’re going to stick around together and make sure that none of us EVER has to lose the weight again.

Mel’s absolutely right about skin. All I can add is that we’re currently putting together a Weight Loss And Skin FAQs that discusses skin issues and hope to post it sometime this week.

About what I do in the gym: I do both weightlifting and cardio. I lift weights 4-5 days a week but you don’t need to in order to get results — I think one hour three times a week would be just fine. I try to do cardio every day, but again that’s more than most people (my body needs it in order to keep the fat off). I guess what I’m saying is that you don't have to do exactly what I do in order to get great results! A lot of people alternate lifting and cardio days.

You definitely do need to use machines or free weights in order to build muscle. Unfortunately the water aerobics and cardio class, even if they have some resistance to them, aren’t going to build much muscle. And muscle is what you want to look toned and fill up some of that skin. Mel’s suggestion is a good one — if you can afford it, hire a trainer for just a few sessions to show you how to use the weights and machines and set up a workout plan for you that hits all your muscle groups. BTW, Mel’s a certified trainer herself so she knows what she's talking about.

We also have a forum here at 3FC called Ladies Who Lift and it’s about weight training and body building (Mel and I hang around there too). You’re welcome to join us — there’s lots of women there who work out and have tons of good ideas to share.

Tell us some more about you, if you’d like to — How long have you been at your goal? What's your biggest challenge in keeping the weight off? What kind of eating plan do you follow?

Glad you’re here!
Old 01-28-2004, 01:51 PM   #4  

Thanks for the responses. I have not had much time to respond with work, going to the Y and just life hassles. I think I will post sometime over at the the weightlifting forum and find out how many people use the free weights versus the circuit machines. I actually used the machines twice this week. After my class. So I could not get the whole thing in before I had to pick up my daughter. I just decided to do a many machines as I can a day. Today I opted to run a mile though. Which is another goal I am trying to accomplish. I have never ran in my life.

I have only been at goal since September. This is my second attempt to lose weight. I did it once in college on a very low fat diet. But I think it was actually to low fat. My hair started falling out and I had bruises. It also got really old after awhile. That was why this time I decided it had to be something I could do forever simple as possible. I don't have a lot of free time nor the commitment to follow anything stringent. I could never be one who writes it all down. So bascially I just cut back, drank water and exercised. I did not deprive myself of anything I really wanted just moderation. Biggest problem in keeping the weight off is slipping back in to bad habits. My biggest worry is getting a new job. I work second now and that is one reason I have time to work out more. I work at a group home to so I work out with some of the people sometimes. Also there food budget is much better then mine so I can splurge on some of the more exspensive diet itmes. Hence I do the shopping for work! I really want a day job but I know it would be much harder to exericise, eat right ect....So for now maybe it is the best thing.
Thanks again for the responses and I will try to come around a couple times a week.

Beth
Closed Thread