Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-17-2019, 04:53 PM   #406  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Definitely dragging this week too.... long week. The weather isn't helping-- cold, rainy and windy. I just want to curl up with a book and sleep, but that's not an option.
I made the mistake of hopping on the scale this morning-- it wasn't friendly-- this is why I don't do daily weighs anymore. So I either gained back much of the 5 pounds I lost last week, or it was a blip, or 50 million other options. Trying to remind myself that weighing once a week at most works best for me.

Kittens are coming home in 10 days! I keep picturing all the trouble they will cause in my house-- with the dogs and everything else-- so I need to make the most of the calm before the storm!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #407  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Definitely dragging this week too.... long week. The weather isn't helping-- cold, rainy and windy. I just want to curl up with a book and sleep, but that's not an option.
I made the mistake of hopping on the scale this morning-- it wasn't friendly-- this is why I don't do daily weighs anymore. So I either gained back much of the 5 pounds I lost last week, or it was a blip, or 50 million other options. Trying to remind myself that weighing once a week at most works best for me.

Kittens are coming home in 10 days! I keep picturing all the trouble they will cause in my house-- with the dogs and everything else-- so I need to make the most of the calm before the storm!
Set aside an enclosed area for the kittens and start keeping the dogs away from it. When the kittens arrive the dogs will already know this is an area they cannot use and the kittens will have a "safe zone".

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #408  

That's a good idea, Dagmar. I have no advice to give, I have no experience mixing existing and new pets.

Shannon, it's the "emergency" contacts that I want to be able to get through, so that app might be fore me.

I slept almost 8 hrs last night. First night of over 6 hrs sleep since before New Years. Yay!

Georgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #409  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Set aside an enclosed area for the kittens and start keeping the dogs away from it. When the kittens arrive the dogs will already know this is an area they cannot use and the kittens will have a "safe zone".

Dagmar
Yes, we have that planned already. Basically the upstairs is a safe zone as Ellie (the Doberman) isn't allowed up. Dewey (Dachshund) only goes up at night and sleeps in bed with us. If need be, we will give the kittens our bedroom/bathroom for awhile if our house is too big for them (don't think that'll be the case, but it's been so long since we've had kittens!).

Friday and 3 day weekend for me! Hooray!!
Old 01-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #410  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

So I'm thinking everyone has already seen the results of the study by NIH (I think) on Biggest Loser contestants from season 8. The study indicated that if one drastically reduces calories while drastically increasing exercise, one will lose weight; however, one also slows metabolism, apparently permanently. This means that after such drastic weight loss, regain is almost inevitable. That's why almost all Biggest Loser contestants regain their weight. It's not because they go back to the so called "bad habits" they had before.

Comments?
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #411  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
So I'm thinking everyone has already seen the results of the study by NIH (I think) on Biggest Loser contestants from season 8. The study indicated that if one drastically reduces calories while drastically increasing exercise, one will lose weight; however, one also slows metabolism, apparently permanently. This means that after such drastic weight loss, regain is almost inevitable. That's why almost all Biggest Loser contestants regain their weight. It's not because they go back to the so called "bad habits" they had before.

Comments?
Wow! Nope, had not see that. But totally makes sense. Though I bet the slowed metabolism can change after a period of normal eating and exercise, don'tcha think?

I'm needing some quick-ish vegan-ish meal ideas that would appeal to everyone. I have an instant pot and am a decent cook. I'm just out of inspiration. I also don't have much vegan cooking experience, but I've been wanting to be way more meatless/vegan for a while for environmental reasons. I have not been meal planning at all lately, and all that poor appetite weight I lost is bound to return (it's only 3-4 lbs) if I keep eating quesadillas at every meal. Also, I want to take better care of my family.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #412  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette View Post
Wow! Nope, had not see that. But totally makes sense. Though I bet the slowed metabolism can change after a period of normal eating and exercise, don'tcha think?
There are ways, supposedly, to boost metabolism back, namely by restricting exercise to 3-5 times a week for not over an hour, and doing weight training more than cardio. For eating, adding 50-100 calories a week with 500 calories more per week as a goal. I read this on fitnessblender.com, but I have to say, for me this approach didn't work. I still regained weight after keeping it off for 2 years. Also, metabolism slows with age, regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette View Post
I'm needing some quick-ish vegan-ish meal ideas that would appeal to everyone....
Do you have to go vegan? Can't you just use vegetarian cooking? That is much more appealing, and there are many more good recipes.

Last edited by JayEll; 01-22-2019 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Misidentified the source. It was not WebMD.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #413  
Workin' It

Jay - I read a follow up article to that study from a researcher at the Mayo Clinic. I don't remember all the details, but he said that he didn't see the same level of metabolic decrease from people who lost weight over a slower period of time, his example was losing 20-30 pounds over 4-6 months. No reason for why not - as I remember, there was a lot of "we don't know exactly why metabolism differs so much from person to person, or what causes the changes".

Good day here so far, after wandering off into fast food yesterday. A woman at my office brought in chicken fingers and toast from Zaxby's for all of us, as we hadn't had time to stop for lunch yet. Today, I've had my healthy breakfast and just finished my healthy prepared lunch.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:22 AM   #414  

The "Biggest Loser" dieters were in an extreme situation. I have seen studies that suggest that this type of situational weight loss does end in regain. Huge stress on the body and the body fights back basically. Also there was a great deal of coaching and supervision during the weight loss. When back in their own world the contestants were bound to face challenges for which they maybe were not equipped.

I haven't regain any of the 22 lbs. I lost. I have a routine and splurges and I've been able to work out a balance. I have too much physical activity I think so that, having to walk for work, is a factor in my maintenance program.

I think the one thing everyone agrees on is that everyone is different and has to find what works for their particular body.

Dagmar :
Old 01-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #415  

There you go. I have definitely found that maintenance, like losing, was a trial and error situation. What worked for me doesn't work for everyone.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #416  

Have y'all noticed this is a summer/fall thread? We may need to update soon as I'm ready for Spring/Summer!!

I overslept this morning which I NEVER do. I have to laugh at my "oversleeping", as I didn't get up with my 4:45 alarm (which is when I get up to exercise). I "overslept" until my 5:00 alarm. I feel out of sorts and antsy as I didn't do my morning workout. So funny how just a small change can feel so different..... I was so tired though and I'm glad I got some extra sleep!

3 days until KITTENS! Not that I'm counting or anything....
Old 01-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #417  
No Sniveling!

S/C/G: 168/130/130

Hi! My name is Jane and I'd like to join in, if that's okay?

I posted a bit in here maybe 5 (or more) years ago but didn't keep up with it (I really only remember Alinnell's name because if I remember correctly she lives "relatively" close to me, Temecula).

I'm not sure I should even be in the Maintainer's area but it's the one I remember posting in and I don't want to go backwards (except weight wise, of course!). I had lost 40 lbs on WW 15 years ago and kept if off for 8 years and then slowly it started to creep back up (I wasn't doing my part to help either, haha!). I turned 57 in December so I know menopause has something to do with my changing body and motivation (?) but I know plenty of people who don't gain weight with menopause and I'm pretty sure if I had kept up all my good habits I wouldn't have gained back 25 lbs
Anyway, I'd love to start posting here and getting to know everyone
P.S. I think I used my middle name when I was on here before but Jane is my (boring!) real first name!!

Last edited by greatchoice; 01-25-2019 at 05:05 PM.
greatchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #418  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatchoice View Post
Hi! My name is Jane and I'd like to join in, if that's okay?

I posted a bit in here maybe 5 (or more) years ago but didn't keep up with it (I really only remember Alinnell's name because if I remember correctly she lives "relatively" close to me, Temecula).

I'm not sure I should even be in the Maintainer's area but it's the one I remember posting in and I don't want to go backwards (except weight wise, of course!). I had lost 40 lbs on WW 15 years ago and kept if off for 8 years and then slowly it started to creep back up (I wasn't doing my part to help either, haha!). I turned 57 in December so I know menopause has something to do with my changing body and motivation (?) but I know plenty of people who don't gain weight with menopause and I'm pretty sure if I had kept up all my good habits I wouldn't have gained back 25 lbs
Anyway, I'd love to start posting here and getting to know everyone
P.S. I think I used my middle name when I was on here before but Jane is my (boring!) real first name!!
Of course! Jump right in! I'm still here, too. And in the same boat as you--lost quite a bit, kept it off, then that d*&^ menopause and I gained a lot back. Just now trying to get it off myself.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #419  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Welcome, Jane! I'm sure you're in the right place!
Old 01-26-2019, 05:51 AM   #420  

Jane

Dgmar