Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #211  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Last Wednesday, I had sneezing, runny/stuffy nose all day. Once home I did Flonase and took an allergy pill. Two hours later no relief, so I went the cold direction. Did Zicam in my nose and took the only remaining cold remedy in the house. Did another Zicam before bed and woke up feeling 100%. Not another symptom since. I can't believe if it were an allergy that it would go so fast and I can't believe the Zicam worked that fast either, Very weird, but I hope y'all feel better.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #212  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Well I was almost done writing a long post when I accidentally hit ctrl+w and deleted the whole thing. Oops. Anyway, hi Georgette! I think I remember you. I'm not around here as much as I should be.

I'm 36, and have been more or less in maintenance for almost 13 years. My high weight at the beginning was around 185 (I'm 5'4"), original goal was 130, modified goal was 135. My highest weight since starting maintenance was actually 200 but that was when I was pregnant with twins so it doesn't count. In any case I've been trying to lose the last of the baby weight for several years now -- my twins are five. Currently I've been holding steady at 146-150 for the better part of a year. My maintenance strategy is moderation and calorie counting as needed. I'm trying to figure out how to switch over from my summer exercise routine (running outside in the morning) to a winter routine, but I need to figure out what my winter routine will be. I'd like to do more strengthening over the winter (since it's unappealing to go outside in the darkness when it's freezing) but I have this ganglion cyst in my left wrist that makes most weight training difficult or painful. I should probably just bite the bullet and have it surgically removed already.
I'm sure I remember your unusual handle, "paperclippy"! Our stories are similar. I also hit my highest weight in pregnancy, but it came off easily after that. I regained after my son stopped nursing and that extra weight has been stubborn. I have accepted it as my new maintenance weight. Don't love it, but it's not unhealthy. I would love to find balance at a lower weight, especially for joint health. I have the beginings of hand tendonitis, maybe a little arthritis (runs in the family, and I notice my pinkies get stiff at times) and right now, a 10 month history of plantar fasciitis that is annoying. Lower weight would help, at least with the foot.

I pulled back before having the habitual second cocktail last night. Good habit-breaking action.

Georgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Jessica,
How major is the surgery? If it isn't too bad, I'd think you should maybe go ahead and have it. It does seem to hamper your activities somewhat.

Georgette-- hope you don't mind pet chatter here!

Took 16 year old Wilbur back to the vet and he's on another round of antibiotics. He's literally the sweetest kitty that ever lived. He purred the whole time there and tried to give love nibbles. The vet said he'll likely need a round of antibiotics every few months for the rest of his life but otherwise he's super healthy-- he is even gaining weight! To make this health related, I was proud that I squeezed my workout in before the vet appointment, and came home and cooked a healthy dinner.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #214  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Michele, it's an outpatient surgery with a fairly short recovery time. My main concern is that it's not really necessary, like, as long as I'm not pushing my hand flat or lifting weights, it's a minor annoyance, and I don't know that it's worth the risk of something going wrong in the surgery. Also, the surgery is not guaranteed to be a permanent fix, because cysts like this can grow back. I need to think about it, I guess. It would be really nice to be able to put my hand flat and put weight on it so I could do planks or yoga or whatever (right now I have to make a fist to do push-ups or anything like that).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #215  
Workin' It

Jay - I am pretty susceptible to ragweed and goldenrod, and there is a ton of it around me. I figure it is probably that, but I'm allowing for the possibility it could be something else. The back pain is new, so that is annoying.

Jessica - I had a similar cyst come up in my hand from a work related injury a number of years ago. It eventually went away on its own, if it hadn't I would have ended up with the same surgery. It might be worth it.

Michele - glad Wilbur is okay!

Georgette - good job bypassing the second cocktail. <3

Allison - I tried Zycam last year, but didn't use it but the one time. You did the nasal swab?

I bought a weighted blanket a few weeks ago, and have enjoyed it so far. The only thing I have trouble with is that the beads all run to one side of the pockets when I'm under it so I was feeling clumps of beads all over. I got a new one yesterday, from a company that makes their blankets by hand and fills each pocket with weighted beads and polyfill stuffing. So much more comfortable. It feels like a real blanket and not just a weighted blanket.

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #216  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Shannon Why the weighted blanket if I may ask? I've never heard of this and I'm curious.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #217  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Also curious about the weighted blanket, Shannon. Never heard of one??

Jessica-- I assume you've consulted a surgeon regarding the surgery? I would maybe ask what the success rates are, rates of complications, etc. and weigh that. I had lasik surgery years ago (actually the "older" surgery-- PRK) and my Uncle who was an eye doctor was very unhappy about me doing it as it wasn't necessary. Luckily I had a good outcome and no regrets, but I do understand when it isn't necessary that you have to weigh the risks. When I had a consultation about a tummy tuck with a plastic surgeon, dh and I decided it wasn't worth the risks for my vanity-- I can live with my saggy pooch and stretch marks....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #218  

Shannon, yes the nasal swabs. I think the main ingredient is zinc which I'm slightly allergic to, but it has helped me in the past. I bought the package last winter before going on our cruise because I didn't want to caught catching a cold while on vacation. I didn't need to use it then so I was prepared! I just got some dayquil/niquil cold and flu medicine to have on hand in case of a cold this season. I got a flu shot so I'm hoping I don't get the flu. I've only ever had it once and boy oh boy was I sick!
Old 10-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #219  
Workin' It

Weighted blankets... They originally came about I think in treating kids with autism and sensory processing disorders. Per Healthline on how weighted blankets treat anxiety: "By providing deep pressure touch, weighted blankets can promote relaxation and help break this cycle. This may trigger the release of the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin, which are feel-good hormones produced in the brain. These hormones help combat stress, anxiety, and depression."

I am a very anxious sleeper. I have in my past been prone to sleep walk, I talk in my sleep, I wake myself up crying sometimes from nightmares I can't quite remember. I can be an 'angry' sleeper, for lack of a better phrase. I wake up a lot, can't stay asleep. I bought the weighted blanket after reading a lot of reviews about the weight helping lessen anxiety. I've always felt better when wrapped in a lot of blankets, even in warmer temperatures.

I've been using one now since 9/7, and according to my Fitbit my wake time percentage per night has decreased, and my light/rem sleep percentage has increased. Initially, my deep sleep was longer, but that has dropped back down. The awake time is still lower than it had been though, so I think that is good. I don't feel myself wake up as often. Sp far. I like it. I got a 15# one initially, that vendor rated it for 130-150# persons, when I got the new one with the polyfill padding, I got a 16#. I liked the first one fine, I REALLY like the new one. It is really plushy. The box on the first one had an ad that their blankets felt like sleeping wrapped up in a hug.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 10-17-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #220  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Shannon Re weighted blanket that's really interesting. Thanks for the info!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #221  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Ooh, I've wanted a weighted blanket ever since I heard they exist. My motivation is that I like feeling like I have a heavy weight on me while I'm sleeping, and as a result in the summer I end up turning the A/C up really high so it's cold enough for me to use a heavy blanket. But if I had a weighted one that was thinner that might resolve that issue.

Michele, yes, I've spoken with a surgeon when I had the cyst drained about a year ago. The draining helped, but it didn't take too long for it to come back. It's a fairly routine surgery, but all surgery has risks.

Work has been incredibly stressful lately and I see only more stress in the immediate future, so I admit I've been stress eating. At least I'm exercising! I started doing some pilates exercises on my own and I am incredibly sore from just a small amount of exercise.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #222  
Workin' It

Jessica - the first one I got is really thin, enough so that when we had the AC turned to really cold when DSS was over I was chilly under it, but still had the weight of a heavy blanket. The main issue I have with it is that the beads roll to the side of the pockets when it is laying over me. The new one is really plush with the fill, and I upgraded to a fleecy 'cuddle fabric' on the back. It is noticeably warmer. Now, without the cuddle fabric, it would probably be similar to the first one - they have regular cotton and a silky fabric option.It is also that magic time where the AC doesn't really run at all down here, so it has been warmer during the night than the first month with the other one. I'll put some links.

This is the first one, in the bamboo fabric. The bamboo fabric is very smooth and nice feeling. YnM Cooling Weighted Blanket, Bamboo Viscose

This is the new one: it has cuddle fabric on the back, patterned fabric on the front. I do like it a lot. The polyfill really makes it feel like a real blanket. I have a 10% off code for this website, I'll send it to you. I think you can use it, but you may have to sign up for the newsletter. Not sure. SensaCalm

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 10-17-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #223  

I also love sleeping under heavier blankets. It doesn't get that hot here, so I just pile on the quilts and leave the window open. My nephew has sensory sensitivities and anxiety with behavior disorders.He loves his weighted blanket.

I have committed to tracking calories for today after a particularly rough evening of eating. I'm not a fan of tracking calories, but sometimes I have to do it to reset.
Georgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #224  

Shannon, your description of the weighted blanket and how it helps sleep is like having Waffles sleep with me. Having her on my chest or curled up on my arm make me less prone to tossing and turning and I get a better night's sleep.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #225  
Workin' It

Georgette - I track calories, too. I don't love it, but it helps keep me on track.

Allison - when Gracie used to sleep with me it had the same effect. Until she woke up at 2am and started walking on me.