Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #46  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

No drop this past week--hit a stall point. But I'm not worried. Still hanging steady.

I've noticed that fewer carbs make a big difference. That's not surprising, is it?
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #47  
Workin' It

Jay - Laughing about the carbs. I'm finding fewer carbs - fluffy, sugary, bready carbs specifically - makes a huge difference for me, too. As much as I hate it.

Two weeks of my "small tasks in the morning" plan has produced great results. Though, so far they haven't been super small... My house was a straight up hot mess, so it has taken some time and elbow grease to get things done. I am hopeful that after the big stuff is done and I have a baseline, that I can keep going with 15-20 minutes a day. Run the swiffer and swiffer wet in the bathrooms one day, spray and wipe down the tub/shower/counter one day, run the vac upstairs one day, downstairs the next, swiffer wet downstairs one day, dust one day, etc. I'm actually thinking about plotting it out on my calendar. Every other Monday is vacuum day, every other Tuesday bathroom touch up, and so on.

I ordered a cordless Dyson vac that was on super sale from Kohl's, one of the older models that they were phasing out carrying I think? Had some gift cards that I'd been hoarding for years from Christmas and birthdays. I ordered it Tuesday, and it delivered Wednesday. I opened the box, and it wasn't the one I ordered. Instead, it was the next model up, which is $100 more than the one I ordered. I called, and turns out they oversold the sale one, so sent me a "comparable model" instead of cancelling the order. Totally unexpected, but happy! This one has a 30 minute battery, the one I ordered was only 20 minutes. I got it to replace the sweeper for downstairs that I broke over the weekend, and it worked great this morning. It has made me start looking at the more heavy duty cordless ones for when I have to replace my full size Dyson. The things that excite us as adults.

I'm down 7# since 7/11. The previously mentioned less carbs. And less booze.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #48  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

So cool, Shannon! Keep going! The universe seems to be smiling for you!
Old 08-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, we've been doing super low carbs here, too. Not completely keto but I guess dirty keto. I'm not cancelling out carbs altogether because I like fruit too much (but still limiting it over vegetables). We've discovered the frozen cauliflower pizzas and they are wonderful. I don't mind having 1/2 a pizza for dinner knowing I'm getting a little vegetable in there and can have a decent meal at under 300 calories. I've cut down alcohol substantially--perhaps 4 per week so that is helping as well. Oh, and we've decided the go-to dinner these days is a taco salad without any kind of tortilla--just lettuce, 1/2 tomato, 1/4 avocado, black olives, jalapenos, salsa, meat and a little cheese and sour cream. We've ha that at least twice a week every week this summer.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #50  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Drooling for your taco salad, alinnell! The tortilla part of that isn't my favorite part anyway.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:16 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I'm on VACATION!!!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:02 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Such exciting and terrifying news, JayZeeJay! I’m thrilled for you!

I was just checking in quickly. Got off the Japan cruise this morning and fly home tomorrow. I know I’ve gained as my clothes are super tight. Hoping I can buckle down and get it off in the next month in time for dd’s wedding. I go back to work Monday and I’m sure I’ll be battling jet lag so I’ll need to get some healthy food in the house to stay on track. Dh is staying in Japan for another week to work.

Alice....that sounds painful to say the least. Thinking good thoughts for you.

Glad to see others are having good results with their weights. Hope to rejoin that group Soon!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #53  

It's hard to believe school starts again next week. Where has this year gone?

Looking forward to my trip to Banff in the fall. I talked to my sister yesterday and she is going to be in SLC for a high school reunion the same weekend we'll be there to get ready to drive to Banff with my brother and sister-in-law. We'll have a mini reunion! We're heading to SLC in two weeks for a short golf vacation and really won't have time to visit any friends or family on that trip.

Work is finally picking up after several months of practically no work. It was rather stressful. Now the only stress we have is a lawsuit. We haven't been served yet, but one of our employees has (he was driving a company truck and hit a woman in her van). She claimed at the time that everything was fine and our insurance fully covered everything, but now she's suing the company and our employee. It's nuts if you ask me.

Welcome home Michele!
Old 08-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #54  

Er, hi *waves* can I come hang with you guys?

Shannon, I love my Dyson - best part about having the battery powered ones is that I can feel virtuous for cleaning, but only need to do it for 15-20min!

Alinnell, Banff is awesome (I live a 90min drive away), you're gonna have a blast. You're not driving the whole way there, are you?!?

My weight has steadily crept back up in the last year, so I'm on a 'reminder' course correction. Just splurged $200 on a power rack (squat cage) to get some more lifting done at home, as well as a yoga trapeze sling which I'm SUPER excited about. Back to counting my protein intake and setting a minimum of 5-6 veggie servings a day. *sigh* These re-set phases are always worth it, but I'm frustrated that I haven't been consistent enough without having a written plan in front of me!
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #55  

Welcome Defining! Of course you an hang with us!
Old 08-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #56  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Lovely day out at the beach with old friends today.

Dagmar, have a wonderful vacation!

Defining, glad you've joined us.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #57  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

another Dyson fan here! Agree re the 20min battery - it's just the right amount of time to be inspired to dash around and get it all done in a motivated kind of way haha. Love the light weight and flexibility and everything about it, the design just works.
Defining my friend just signed up for a hammock-yoga class yesterday, and sent me pictures. I'd not seen it before, but it looks super fun!

2.5 months in to maintenance for me now, and i'm not sure how i'm going at the moment because i'm working away and away from my scales for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I have to pick up all my food from what's on offer here too, so i'm away from routine and feel like i'm making reasonable choices, but definitely eating more than normal, but then i'm out and about and moving more than normal. Definitely not losing, but heres hoping i'm not gaining...!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #58  
Workin' It

That is a great thought on the Dyson battery Ange and Defining! I'm trying to get things caught up so my cleaning mnx tasks will be quick, the 20-30 minute battery sounds perfect. I did run the full size vacuum this morning upstairs while the boy ate breakfast before school, and timed it. It took my 21 minutes and part of that was getting tangled in the dang cord, and dragging the heavy vac around - I'mma try the cordless next time, I bet it will work great! It is already making me covet the v8 or v10, I must admit.

And Defining, hey there! Of course you can hang here. The yoga sling sounds cool when I look at it, but I would break my neck I think. Enjoy it! I have a squat cage in my garage, love it.

Dagmar - enjoy your vacation!

Birchie - how was the beach Saturday?

Ange - not gaining is good!

Allison - We have lawsuits like that come up all the time at work, sadly. They often don't go very far, but as you know, the liability insurance company will settle for a small amount if they think it will be cheaper than fighting the suit. That is annoying, sorry about that. Glad the work is picking back up. On school - my stepson went back last Wednesday. 8/freaking/1.

Michele - your trip looks like it was fantastic!

Good weekend at my house. We got some work done outside, I almost put myself into a heat stroke again (every stinking time I go out for more than an hour or so and do anything with any exertion lately), dusted and hung up to display the Babylon 5 figures we got my DH for Christmas, washed some laundry. If I can keep my inertia going I do fine. It is when I falter that I tend to fail. I don't have a good recovery for slips. I need to work on that. Again.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 08-06-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Speaking of getting excited about household things I just bought a 50 ft. no kink "Flexilla" hose! I have a 25 ft. that I love which is connected to another older hose that I hate. The join leaks constantly and the older hose has now sprung a couple of leaks. Watering the yards will be a whole lot easier now!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Welcome, Defining!

Got back from Japan yesterday and went about in a fog (almost zero sleep on plane-- maybe one quick snooze)-- trying to wash clothes, get some groceries, deal with pets, etc....
Today I'm back to work and hoping jetlag doesn't set in. I slept decently for me last night, so hoping it will be minimal.

Trying to be smart about the scale for a change. I used to come back from trips and weigh myself, then berate myself for gaining. My goal is to stay off the scale for at least a week-- get back to nutrition, drink lots of water, resume workouts and then see. I did workout on my trip but food was way off. My clothes do not fit at all and my abs are gone. I have 1 month until dd's wedding, so hoping I can get it off before then!

Back to work today and first food challenge already. We have a staff retreat with lunch. I brought my own and hope to stick to what I brought. Uh oh. Getting sleepy.... better get up and move around!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote