Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-07-2018, 02:16 AM   #466  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

The decluttering and organising business is moving along and it is hard work! I'm finding it difficult to fit in exercise and the D&O work + domestic duties and relaxing (essential, obviously). Dagmar, when do you do formal exercise? (AndI wouldn't have liked that ballgame either. Go community, go vintage, it's nicer.)

The pinched nerve sounds nasty, Alice.

Jessica, you are doing so well.

JayEll, on a roll and it certainly is hard work. Tell me again what approach you're taking.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:54 AM   #467  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Birchie Re formal exercise: I do 30 minutes of yoga 3X per week and 30 minutes of free weights 2X per week at 5 a.m. In the summer I try to get out on my SUP (stand up paddleboard) for an hour each weekend. In the winter I try to get to restorative yoga for 90 minutes 1X every 2 weeks.

It helps to have a cat who likes to persistently likes to wake me up @4:30 a.m.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #468  

Though I am loving the "Good Food" meal kits I'm going to have to start getting them less frequently. They are expensive and my income is plummeting for the next couple of months. It's hard to eat frozen food now though, after only a couple of weeks of everything being fresh. We're going to have to go to that though, or I'll have to win the lottery!

Dagmar
Old 07-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #469  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

That's the funny thing: It's not hard work. I hate to say it, but it seems to be eat less, move more. Go figure.

I had that attack of abdominal pain about five weeks ago, and until I got to the doc about a week later, I was mostly on a liquid diet. That broke my food habits and my feeling that I had to eat every X hours. The experience seemed to shift me. I now eat smaller portions but still feel satisfied. No food is a forbidden food, but I know which foods can be trouble (that much I have learned over the years).

My attitude toward food is just different. I'm not feeling deprived, and I don't feel as though I "deserve treats" because of the many excuses we all use (I'm tired, I'm sad, I'm lonely, something happened, something didn't happen).

I started an online senior exercise program, Grow Young Fitness. I do a 30-minute session five times a week. As one gets further into it, hand weights are involved, but not heavy ones. It has really helped, and it is not so strenuous that I end up in pain every other day.

I have no weight goal, and I don't count calories or weigh portions. No checklists here. I imagine that at some point, my weight and my intake will balance out, and I'll stop losing. I don't know where that will be. I know there are some weights that I'll never see again, of course, having gotten up so high. For example, 140 is fantasy land. But I'm getting closer to a "healthier" weight.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:06 AM   #470  

Default word of the day

I signed up for Merriam-Webster's "Word of the Day" on Friday. Much more fun than Fb.

Dagmar
Old 07-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #471  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Greetings! Long time no post - and not a whole lot of lurking. I'm getting all that travel I was looking for, LOL! I won't say the honeymoon is over, because it is absolutely not, but I am getting into a busy groove. I am in a weird place - very content with the job, happy to have every day be a little different ... yet ... This is new stuff and there is so much to learn. I have hit the wall in terms of how much I can do with the hours that I have in a day/week/month. Checking on how I was spending my time revealed some, uh, major issues with true time wasters that were also extremely sedentary. I am moving much much more due to my job, but still very stuck at my 2nd worst setpoint, just on the line between what's considered normal and overweight. More things have to change than just the job, clearly, to be at my best place.

When I do lurk, I see my tribe is still here, and still moving forward and wrestling with all the same issues I do. It's good to be home, and I won't be such a stranger - I promise! Well, I'm still pretty strange and that's not likely to change, LOL!

Weighing in at a not-great 164.4 this morning. I don't care so much about that number - it's the 31.7% fat number that I am extremely determined to move downward (I do know that scales are notoriously inaccurate for this, but it is a dandy relative reference). This chick needs to get strong again.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:11 AM   #472  

Becky! I'm following your travels on Fb - seems you go someplace different almost every day!

Dagmar
Old 07-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #473  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Becky!
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #474  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi Becky!

I'm back from the Alaska vacation. It went very smoothly, all things considered. My parents had a great time, my sister's group was pretty happy and my nephew turned down the teenager behaviors somewhat. I managed to get us to all of our connections and reservations on time - the biggest challenge was doing all of it without a car, it necessitated very early wake-up calls and long waits for connections. But everyone played nicely together despite those irritations. I'm exhausted and back to being a puppy mom, so catching up on sleep will be a challenge. Now I'm at work facing the inbox from hades - so I gave myself a 2 minute 3fc break OK, back to it.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #475  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Hi Becky!

I'm holding steady at 146 right now. Had some slip ups this weekend impeding forward progress, but I'm on track again now. I realized it's been almost a year since my dad passed away and I wonder how much that is subconsciously affecting me. Work is kind of stressing me out and I've been thinking about taking a step back and asking to be moved out of management and back into an individual contributor role. I don't like feeling like I'm responsible for things I don't have control over and I don't like the junk that comes with management like negotiating contractor paperwork. We shall see.

I haven't missed on my goal of running 3x/week in a long time and that feels good. I'd like to branch out to some other exercise but I'm not sure how or when.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #476  

Just lost 4 clients in 2 weeks. Trying to not panic/comfort eat tonite. Have to start hustling for new clients. I was hoping to have a somewhat leisurely summer. SIGH.

Dagmar
Old 07-10-2018, 01:34 AM   #477  
in development

Dagmar, that's a blow. Good luck finding some new ones. They are out there. (Thanks for telling me about your exercise regime. I'm still finding it difficult to squeeze in.)

Jessica, great to hear you're holding steady.

JayZeeJay, good to see you back!

Becky, also good to see you back! Stay around a bit and let's wrestle this stuff into submission together.

JayEll, good to hear you say your attitude to food has changed. That has to help.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:05 AM   #478  

I went to bed at 8 p.m. last night and read a book for an hour. Better than eating my face off!

Dagmar :
Old 07-11-2018, 02:15 AM   #479  
in development

My new routine is in bed, read a book for a bit and lights out by 10pm. Also half an hour's sleep when I get home in the afternoon. The aim is to prevent me eating to keep going.

Dagmar, comfort eating is no good, as we know. Whoever invented it made a mistake, and I shall tell them when I meet them.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #480  

Birchie I find the going to bed earlier and reading to be really good! I used to stay downstairs and watch an extra hour of TV with DH. That opened me up to overeating and I also resented that I never got a chance to read, which is the one hobby I have. I explained it to DH and he was (mostly) good with my leaving after the one hour of TV. now we play Scrabble on alternate nights and we're both liking that.

Dagmar