Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #31  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Dagmar, very glad you're not in pain. So interesting that you're taking it as a great opportunity to explore!

Shannon, PN coaching is going quite well. I don't always 'get' some of the ... I think it's probably language and attitudes all mixed up into one, and it takes me some time to translate it. I know you people have had me on an immersion course in NAm Engl for some time but, for me, some things just don't cross the pond. PN lingo is a bit hip so that makes me laugh and serves to jog me out of the diet/exercise rut I'm probably in.

PN is working to develop 'habits' and has a nice way of encouraging small and effective changes. The first habit was 'taking a 5-minute action' which wasn't explained very well but I think means doing something, anything that will roll things forward in the right direction. Wash the lettuce, plan the meal, do a few squats because it all adds up. The second habit is 'eat really, really slowly'. I do eat slowly but this is helping me make it into an art form and I think my digestion has benefitted.

Most of the programme is automated but the coach is there when I need her, and we seem to be building a good relationship. Some of the more standard responses are from an assistant coach who is less good, but I suppose she's in training and that's why she's not a full coach yet. We all start somewhere.

I am doing a more varied exercise programme which is good. Even though it's a bit challenging to set up and learn in our tiny house I've made a commitment to do the best I can. And that is good enough at present.

So I'm pleased so far. It was a good investment to make and is giving me a different approach to try out.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:55 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Birchie Your program sounds like a very adaptive, tailored to you sort of thing, which, from what you've said in the past, is a good approach for you. Glad you're enjoying it!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:59 AM   #33  

Doctor's appointment tomorrow. There will be nothing new - never is. He spends about 10 minutes with me, most of which is typing into his laptop. He used to at least do a blood draw but now he's delegated that to me as well. I have to go to a lab for it. And I tell him my current weight though he does have a scale in the hallway. SIGH. Health care here is not what it used to be.

Dagmar
Old 02-09-2018, 07:00 AM   #34  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Checking in briefly on Friday morning, a planned day off, at 163.4. That's a high for me.

Have worked from home all week. I lied & said I was sick, but I just couldn't make myself commute in. I just feel so tired and discouraged overall.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #35  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Saef, good to hear from you even though you're not feeling so good.

What I can tell from Noom so far is that it's a combo logging, recipe, and coaching app, based on volumetrics. Which is fine, except I need a good way to tell it "I must eat high-fiber grains for breakfast or I will completely fail at all of this" when it's complaining at me that raisin bran is too calorie-dense. Tweak my lunch and dinner and snacks however, but I'm keeping my raisin bran for breakfast.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #36  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

paperclippy, it's probably the high sugar in regular branded Raisin Bran. There are some good alternatives out there that at least have less sugar.

saef, have you considered signing up with a professional-level job search agency? I can't believe that you're stuck with that company forever. You would be a valued contributor in any company.

dagmar, docs here don't draw blood usually, and that's a good thing. The pros are far better at it, in my experience.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Glad to see you checking in Saef, but sorry you're not in a better place. Take care!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:26 AM   #38  

YAY! Did my first yoga workout since breaking my foot. Modified a few of the exercises and added a few different poses and subtracted others but it worked!

Going to take Trixie for a walk this morning too - just a couple of blocks as freezing rain is coming.

My DH is largely inactive so he really doesn't understand my need to MOVE! I was out on the deck shovelling snow yesterday and he was sitting inside with the remote, staring at me and shaking his head. He did walk the dog and he used the snowblower for over an hour and he was totally exhausted at the end of it.

I think my recovery for this accident is going so quickly because I am in good health and in excellent physical shape. There is a payoff for all those hours I put in working out.

Dagmar
Old 02-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Hello all! I'm back from Arizona where the weather was perfect and the hiking was great. I did well with food planning and didn't overeat on the 9 hour drive to Arizona, but can't say the same for the drive home. I'm staying away from the scale for a few days. Back to my normal eating pattern today.

JayZeeJay, I'm so sorry to hear about what you went through with your dog. What a hard decision, but the right one. I've had a couple of dogs over the years that I euthanized due to mental issues. Hope you are okay now.

Saef, good to hear from you and I hope you will feel more positive in the next few days.

Dagmar, I'm proud of you for not letting your injury stop you from exercising! That's what I try to do also - concentrate on what I can do rather than what I can't.

Birchie, glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. The PN program is effective for many people. My friend did it - she did not have much to lose - but the program didn't get her weight down at all even though she did everything they asked of her. I think sometimes PN is too reluctant to tell you to eat less and they insist that you should not track calories. She got her money back for the entire year, no problem, which made me feel good about the company.

Five days away is wonderful, but not all the things I have to catch up on now.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:28 AM   #40  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Monday morning at 162.4.

I worked over the weekend again to get stuff done for the week ahead: Finished off a 45-page doc pulling together the contents of an outdated Wiki into a linear process description. And reviewed & briefly commented on 24 docs by newly hired analysts in the onboarding class which I'll be teaching in for a day & a half this week. That class is going to eat up my week. And I get stage nerves beforehand, no matter how many times I've taught in it. I'm going through that now.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:18 AM   #41  

Alice Glad to hear your hiking went well. As did your eating on the trip there.

I am venturing out in a world of ice today. Part of me is quite scared but I work outside all year and I have to get used to being out there again in bad winter conditions. I'm going to be very cautious. I literally can't afford to fail.

Dagmar :
Old 02-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Dagmar, glad to hear you are rocking your recovery! I understand your fear of ice. I slipped and wrenched my knee badly some years ago and I am still terrified of it now.

Alice, I'h happy you had such a great (and healthy-sounding) trip!

This morning my weight was up to 132.2 (!%*$&#). This stinks.

I was going to get my blood test last Friday, but I didn't realize the doctor had ordered a fasting test. =( I will get it this Friday but now I am concerned the numbers will be high because I've been gaining weight, even though most of my food is supposed to be cholesterol lowering (I am still eating animal-based protein so I can't claim that part has any blood lipid benefits).

The fact is, I can't maintain a stable weight on 3 meals a day, even walking 15K steps religiously.

Last edited by yoyoma; 02-12-2018 at 06:45 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:43 AM   #43  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

dagmar, do you have ice cleats to wear? When I lived in Mass. one could get these ice cleats that slipped on over shoes or boots.

yoyoma, do you have high cholesterol normally?

Good luck on your presentations, saef.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #44  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Well, the Noom app kept me on track over the weekend so I guess it's working? I'm on day 5 of my 14 day trial. 155.4 this morning. Planning to do some sort of exercise on my lunch break today now that I'm over that cold from last week, but not sure what. I'd like to go walk outside but it's very cold and it was icy yesterday, so the path around the lake at work is probably still iced over. Elliptical it is, I suppose.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Alice-- your trip sounds fun! My daughter lives in Gilbert now. Were you near her? No wonder you have so many Fitbit steps!

Be careful, Dagmar!! Extra super duper careful!

I finished phase one of my 80 day program this weekend and weighed, took measurements and photos. I was surprised I was so nervous to weigh myself-- I have been a daily weigher forever and had put away the scale. Even though I felt (and looked) good, part of me was paranoid that I'd somehow gained a bunch of weight. I'm happy to report in the 4 weeks, I lost 1.8 pounds (was 124.4), and almost 8 inches! Most of the inches were from my hips! Started phase 2 yesterday and excited to see where I am when I finish.

Dh is in Rome! He leaves tomorrow for business in Europe but he went there to see our niece get baptized (he is the Godfather). My in-laws are there, as are the other grandparents-- I can't believe my brother-in-law has had all 3 of his daughters baptized in Rome but very cool. I'm getting a tad jealous hearing how amazing Rome seems-- I've been to Italy but not Rome (yet).
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote