I Am The One Thing In Life I Can Control! Maintainers Fall and Winter Chat

You're on Page 3 of 36
Go to
  • So my doctor visit went sort of strangely. How do you tell your gyn that he's off his rocker? Several years ago, he recommended a book to me by Steven Gundry (a cardiologist) called The New Diet Revolution or something like that. I bought it (this was in the age before e-books). I tried to like it, but I just couldn't. The book was one of those that touted gluten intolerance and suggested we not eat grains. Ok, so I tried to modify my diet somewhat--I started spiralizing more, eating more vegetables, etc. Fast forward to yesterday and he gave me "required reading" in the form of this doctor's new book The Plant Paradox which basically says something along the lines of "plants defend themselves against humans." So basically he's saying no to wheat and all other grains, most vegetables and fruits, dairy and nuts. What does that leave? Meat. Oh, and cheese but it has to come from sort of "different" cow--so only cheese from Italy or France can be consumed. All other dairy is a no-go. And you should peel all fruits and vegetables that are on his "ok" list because that's where the plants store the "poison". He claims eating the bad stuff is akin to eating a teaspoon of Roundup daily (thus he says all food that is on his good list has to be organic and free range. What a crack pot!

So basically, the dinner we had the night before my visit was totally poison: a baked potato stuffed with a mixture of black beans, fire roasted tomatoes and corn, with a little sour cream on top. Whereas I gave myself kudos for a vegetarian and fairly low calorie dinner, he said it was just the opposite of what I should have eaten. My bowl of cereal for breakfast was also wrong, I should have had Canadian bacon and eggs (which I do like). But damnit! I want my vegetables!

Other than that, the visit was okay. Very long--2 hours! I had to have a transvaginal ultrasound and an endometrial biopsy. Ick. Hopefully something will come of this to see what the heck is going on with my body (tl,dr: 2 years into menopause and for the past 4 months, almost constant bleeding).
  • Gosh, don't you wonder how humans have survived for thousands of years eating all the "wrong" foods??

It's true that many plants put "disincentive" chemicals in the coating of their seeds. This is to discourage plant predators, not just humans. For example, quinoa seeds have high levels of saponins (soaplike compounds) in their seed coat, and they must be treated before being eaten to remove these compounds. But some people are sensitive to them, even after treatment. (I'm one of them.) Tea plants have caffeine and alkaloids in their leaves to discourage browsers--but people have decided they like them, and so they grow these plants. It's to the plants' advantage.

Anyway, the list could go on. My ancestors did not eat a lot of quinoa, rice, or even wheat. They did eat a lot of milk, cheese, fish, and red meat (I suspect reindeer!). And I probably would not be so heavy if I were still following the reindeer herds from place to place up in northern Europe.

That said, there are good reasons now for choosing organically raised foods and pesticide-free foods.

I think it's pretty funny when doctors, who get very little formal training in nutrition, dietetics, or food science, start making pronouncements.
  • Allison I too was given reading material homework a long time ago by a doctor who was treating me for Plantar's warts. It was a book about loving oneself - can't remember the title - and i could not figure out how it was supposed to cure a virus that was giving me a big painful clump of warts on the bottom of my foot.

I went to a different doctor and he gave salicylic acid to paint on the wart and gradually dissolve it.

It sounds like you should probably get a second opinion. IMHO. Not sure how your medical system works so not sure if that works for you.

Dagmar
  • Allison - I've looked more at that author since you mentioned him earlier, I'd not change my life based on his work.

I'm tired and frustrated today. I feel bloated and grouchy, work is driving me a little nutty, the boy is so very 12, I can't stop sneezing. I'm still exercising though - I realized today I've let myself work up to 75-90 minutes of cardio and no time for even the 15 mins of yoga I used to try for on many days. Every muscle in my body seems to ache today. I'm going to work on getting the yoga back in place and scaling the cardio back down - I started at 50 minutes with 15 mins of yoga, and was meeting my goals just fine there. I don't remember feeling so achey then, either.
  • DH and I are going to see Bladerunner 2049 today - so excited!

I am feeling a bit old though. We ordered reserved seats for a matinee and DH requested aisle seats. He said that we both knew we'd have to go to the bathroom at least once during the movie - it's a looong one - and aisle seats were easier for that.

Dagmar
  • Can't wait to hear how you like Bladerunner 2049. I want to go - especially if I can get DW excited. But I'm willing to go alone if necessary.
  • Sunday morning, at 159.3.

Yesterday began well but then dwindled down into unproductive brooding.

Horrified by the wildfires in California. I feel as if earthquakes, hurricanes and fires, alt-right rallies and mass shootings, insane edicts and legislation and the threat of war, are always swirling around in my head, and I don't remember life being like this before.
  • Bill - we saw Blade Runner 2049 last weekend and we loved it. DH is a bigger fan of the original than I am, but we both thought this new one was fantastic.
  • Last night, on our way to a history museum in another city for a dinner event, we drove past a house that had recently burned. Total loss, but not burned to the ground. Being that we had the top down on our car, we could smell the pungent smoke smell. This morning, I googled the fire to see when it had happened (assumed by the smell that it was as recent as a few days ago). July 1. July 1 and it was still that pungent. I can only imagine what Santa Rosa, Napa and Sonoma smell like.
  • Quote: Can't wait to hear how you like Bladerunner 2049. I want to go - especially if I can get DW excited. But I'm willing to go alone if necessary.
    I have gone alone to movies that I knew DH would just squirm through. I really enjoyed it - sitting there with my popcorn and cola and just being in the dark with a bunch of other people.

Dagmar
  • Bill Bladerunner 2049 was AMAZING! I was riveted and at the edge of my seat for almost the whole film. The visuals were astonishing and the 3D was flawless. I had no sense of it being manufactured and it added to the story in subtle ways.

I'll admit I was as confused at times watching this one as I was back watching the original. But it didn't matter. There was very definitely a story and, though it got a bit murky at times, most of it follows well.

Not giving anything away but so glad it ended the way it did.

Dagmar
  • Ok, I'm dragging myself, figuratively kicking and screaming, back to the active posters. Or so I say, yet again. I have so completely lost motivation to eat carefully that I just want to go hide my head in shame. Every evening I end up consoling myself with food. I DESERVE peanut butter, chocolate and graham crackers, right?

I just finished a rather stressful week of hospital duty, with 10-15 consults per day Mon-Fri, but a thankfully lighter weekend. The hard part is that I got roped into co-writing a huge grant proposal in late August (a Center grant, which has 4 "cores" plus the overall project aims and description). I have a 12 page section to finish by October 20th, and wrote almost nothing this past week while I was working at the hospital from 7-7 every day. This puts me way behind everyone else, who are now perceiving me as "the rate limiting enzyme" even though I warned them this was coming and tried to work ahead. But of course, there were many things I couldn't start on until others had completed descriptions or sent me info that I needed to incorporate into my section. And of course, none of my clinical work is taken away from me when I need to write, so while I'm working at the hospital 12 hours a day, I still have 3-5 clinic patient issues per day to address when I get home. UGH.

I'm trying to get better at feeling grateful and noticing the small positives in each day. As you all know by now, I am a naturally pessimistic person. I will take the title of this new thread to heart. Thanks Shannon.
  • Monday morning at 161.1.

Decided not to go to CT as I'll head in tomorrow instead for the Health Fair, which I'm not looking forward to. At least I'll get a free flu shot.
  • Andrea Sounds like you have a lot of frustration and stress.

Dagmar
  • On the one hand, yes, it's a victory that I haven't gained weight. On the other hand, that's been my default state for the past four years. It's not very difficult for me to maintain 150+lbs. The problem is that every time I lose some weight, which I have to work really hard at (my calorie allowance for weight loss is much lower now than it was when I was younger), I immediately go right back to 150-155 as soon as I slack off even the slightest amount. Sigh.

I need to set some mini-goals I think. I haven't been logging my food, but I have been logging my weight at least. Goal for this week: no snacking after dinner.