Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #121  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Back up to 153. Probably that was yesterday's lunch with the fresh hummus and also roasted chickpeas on salad.

I went to bed raging at the contractor. Since the kitchen was gutted, I wanted what's called a farmhouse sink or an apron sink. The contractor told me that I needed a 30-inch sink. I purchased one on eBay for about $799. The eBay seller thanked me and got ready to ship. Late in the day, another email from the contractor: After all, I need a 26-inch sink. The 30-inch sink won't work. i reached out to the eBay seller but haven't heard back. It was long past the one-hour-after-purchase that you get for canceling deals due to buyer's remorse. I may be stuck with it. I told the contractor, "If you want me to do the procurement here, you had better give me correct measurements." I really want to cut $799 out of my payment to him.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good luck with the sink saga, Saef! Hope you aren't stuck with it.

We had our feast at work yesterday. I did overeat but luckily they gave us very small plates so I was somewhat limited. Weight is up 3 pounds despite working out and eating a small dinner. Oh well. The challenge today will be to avoid the copious leftovers like the plague. I really don't want to weigh what I do (or more) come the beginning of the year.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #123  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Saef, I'm so sorry. That type of thing really gets me - how some people can get away with being carelessly incompetent at their jobs with no remorse, while so many of us strive for total perfection (either by necessity of our work and/or personality type).

Andrea, I confess that I'd have done the same thing. I absolutely love Ethiopian food and it's so vegan friendly, on top of the fun of eating with your hands. We're now stuck in a small town with no decent ethnic food for many miles - one of the few things I miss about urban-ish living.

I'm in the hyperaccelerated period of work that happens this time of year, due to the confluence of a huge professional meeting and other deadlines. Two years ago, I managed to gain 12 pounds during 2 months of dire stress (you all remember that series of disheartened posts, I'm sure). Most of that weight is off and I'd like to keep it that way. It's hard with the looming dread of lots of public speaking coupled with 60-hr work weeks and not nearly enough time to analyze data and put together the long scientific presentations I will be giving. On the plus side, it's the last year I am obligated to do most of this - hooray!!
Old 11-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

saef If you mess around with payment the job will only take that much longer. You don't pay they hold your kitchen hostage. Yes I am speaking from experience.

Always best to make the contractor do the actual shopping though they usually don't want to do it. Send them a link to the items and make them pay up front and then reimburse. So if a mistake is made they are on the hook, not you.

Dagmar
Old 11-18-2016, 05:15 AM   #125  
Girl Gone Strong

That's good advice, Dagmar. I am giving the contractor a partial payment today. The co-op management company finally refunded three months of maintenance payments. They are not supposed to collect that if the apartment is not habitable, and mine has not been. They still collected it and I had to argue and complain and it's taken this long for them to refund the money. I'm sad to see the money come in & then instantly go out, plus some of my own earnings -- not to mention the outlay for the light fixture, sink and faucet.

I'm at 152.4 this morning with a long ways to go today. This Friday is not an easy downhill slide, it's a slog upward through a peak of work, including my year-end self-assessment.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #126  

My last day of work before a week off. Excited yet always a tad nervous with family coming in, and all that entails. Dd is driving from Arizona to Utah with friends so I'll worry about that too. Older dd flies home tomorrow and she's an anxious traveler so that's always fun.

One of the three pounds that arrived yesterday have left. I'd like the other 2 (plus 10) to leave quickly.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I have family coming next week for Thanksgiving, too. But possibly not my sister. I feel bad for her. Her husband, who has Parkinson's, fell a few weeks ago and at the ER they convinced her to admit him to a rehab hospital for a week or so so they could work on his gait, stability, and strength. Apparently, they did none of that and it seems, instead, they kept him in bed or strapped to a wheelchair for most of his stay. The day before discharge, they wanted to insert a feeding tube (which my sister didn't allow). When discharged, he could no longer walk, let alone get out of a chair unassisted--both things that he was able to do before going in. Now, his chronic heart failure is getting worse and she feels he is in a downward spiral. The cardiologist doubled his lasix in an attempt to rid his body of excess fluid, and if that doesn't work, they'll have home health come in and administer iv lasix. If that doesn't work, the cardiologist doesn't advise air travel. Thankfully, she bought travel insurance so she won't be out any money except for the deposit on the rental house, but I said I'd pay for that because if she doesn't come, I'll have DD and SIL stay there next week. The only good news is that since getting out of the hospital, my BIL is getting better and stronger every day, but my sister is really berating herself for allowing them to convince her that it would be good for him as it obviously was not.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:44 AM   #128  
Girl Gone Strong

Up to 152.9, worrying about snowstorms in the Upstate NY forecast for Sunday, when I'll be driving for much of the daylight hours. Also disappointed in what I didn't get done yesterday, and wanted to, like my self-assessment for year-end and a big load of laundry. If I'd made some headway there, I might have left a day earlier.

Looks like the faucet arrived at the apartment yesterday and the sink is on its way. Now what would be great would be finding the check from the insurance company in my mailbox today or, at latest, tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #129  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I have family coming next week for Thanksgiving, too. But possibly not my sister. I feel bad for her. Her husband, who has Parkinson's, fell a few weeks ago and at the ER they convinced her to admit him to a rehab hospital for a week or so so they could work on his gait, stability, and strength. Apparently, they did none of that and it seems, instead, they kept him in bed or strapped to a wheelchair for most of his stay. The day before discharge, they wanted to insert a feeding tube (which my sister didn't allow). When discharged, he could no longer walk, let alone get out of a chair unassisted--both things that he was able to do before going in. Now, his chronic heart failure is getting worse and she feels he is in a downward spiral. The cardiologist doubled his lasix in an attempt to rid his body of excess fluid, and if that doesn't work, they'll have home health come in and administer iv lasix. If that doesn't work, the cardiologist doesn't advise air travel. Thankfully, she bought travel insurance so she won't be out any money except for the deposit on the rental house, but I said I'd pay for that because if she doesn't come, I'll have DD and SIL stay there next week. The only good news is that since getting out of the hospital, my BIL is getting better and stronger every day, but my sister is really berating herself for allowing them to convince her that it would be good for him as it obviously was not.
So sorry. Thank god he's improving now.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:57 AM   #130  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Only just read this, Allison. I would be so angry with the rehab hospital. Just irresponsible of them if the recommendation was to work on gait etc. Glad he's getting stronger now.

saef, Sunday has started here. We have reasonable weather but lots of the country doesn't. Fingers crossed for your Upstate trip (there and back).

I'm adopting Howlin's 'Diligence is key' as my motto for the day. The SO and I went out for lunch yesterday and ate a bit too much. And the previous day I took myself out for lunch and ate a bit too much. I'm out of practice at finding a way through menus that don't immediately offer something I want to eat (that's most menus, if truth be told).

Last edited by silverbirch; 11-20-2016 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #131  
Girl Gone Strong

Down to 151.7. The word that came to mind as I stared at the number between my toes was, "Hallelujah!" This is too good to last, but let's see what I can do today.

Unfortunately I have had to postpone my trip Upstate. The forecast for my mother's area shifted to a warning starting at 1 AM, rather than later on Sunday, with eight to 12 inches of snow expected. Because I'm working for the next three days, but had hoped to do it from grandmother's desk in her living room, if I can't go today, it has to wait until Thanksgiving Day itself. So I will plan to go then.

So I must scramble a little for some food in the hotel room to tide me over, though not much. Fresh vegetables are a necessity, and a little protein on the side.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #132  
Girl Gone Strong

Monday: Back up to 152.9. Last Monday, I was 153.

Suddenly, it's winter, and I'm sad and frustrated, thinking that I was displaced from my apartment at the end of August, when it was still summer. But eating over this problem won't help.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #133  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Allison, that really stinks - I know from our experiences with my FIL that the void between the good intentions of medical personnel/facilities and what they are able to actually provide can be vast.

Saef, you have had some rotten luck with housing disasters. It's ok to be upset about it, and maybe feel some self-pity because it's justified. Not "food pity" of course But self pity that leads to self care.

I had to cancel our trip home over the Thanksgiving long weekend. I'm pretty sad about it, I've been homesick since we moved up here and left family/friends behind. But I'm too far behind on these presentations and half of the data will only be sent to me this week, so there was no other option. Ugh, grownup life. I didn't eat my feelings over it, that was a small victory. I grudgingly went to the gym both mornings this weekend since the rain was too heavy for running.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #134  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Oh dear, have just forgotten about Diligence. I put it down to getting soaking wet and the back door is leaking. I know, a poor excuse. I've posted here, though, so Diligence should not be forgotten.

Quote:
Diligence
Old 11-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 138/132/130

Well its dark here until after 9, We are getting less and less daylight. The temperature dropped this week after it snowed last week. Im low in a valley so we are seeing -25 here this morning... And this is the beginning of winter. I end up being in more and doing more exercise DVDs during the winter. I'm happy about thanksgiving, its the first time we've had family up here in years. I've been thinking about doing a cleanse from sugar Dec 1 or Jan 1. No sugar for 21 days or so...
Closed Thread