Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #301  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Checking your pulse. Do you use the old two fingers method? Or something more sophisticated? If you're hooked up to your computer, building graphs and all that, what do you use?

Thanks.

Had a good walk today at a beautiful garden. Ate a quite horrible sandwich whilst there. Commercial sandwiches with disgusting bread give me a tummy ache, and I'd forgotten that. I can't imagine how I had forgotten but I had. Now I know again.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #302  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hi Maintainers!

I've been slowly gaining and eating too much - I'd say my average weight these days is about 123.

Some big news - BF and I are engaged as of this past Friday, and we are closing on our first house (a 2-family craftsman-type house, about 100 years old) Tuesday afternoon.

I'd like to trim back down to my "distance hiker" figure and fix my terrible skin before we marry. Historically only hormonal combination BC pills have had that effect on my skin, and that always makes me asexual, angry and prone to weight gain.

Dealing with some knee pain after running. I suspect it may be an IT band problem.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #303  
Workin' It

Krampus! Hey there! I'm glad to see you, though sorry about the weight gain for you. BUT - congrats on the engagement and the house! That is fabulous! I had IT band trouble off and on for two years on my right knee. I had to wear a strap on my knee and work on my hamstring and quad strength and flexibility. My stride was off balance. Yoga helped with it, too.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #304  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Congrats Krampus! How exciting! Hope your pain subsides and you have relatively stress free wedding planning and moving. Have you set a date?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #305  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Michele, maybe because it's an easier kill for a big dog. One sharp shake of the head could break the thing's neck. All the cats in my life have been mousers who liked to show off their kills.

Birchie, when I lived at my mother's as a refugee from the flood, I attended a spin class twice weekly in which we paused and checked our pulses. I put two fingers on my neck as everyone else did, and I stared intently at a wall chart indicating what the numbers meant. It was all just acting with me -- I never counted right and I rarely felt anything. Maybe I was dead inside.

Krampus, oh I like the sound of that Craftsman bungalow. They have great built-in bookcases next to the fireplace sometimes, and sometimes cool little geometric stained-glass windows. One thing I've got to do next time I'm in California is see the Greene & Greene stuff, as I don't know their work, only pictures of it. I was lucky to grow up in Central New York, the heart of the artisanal movement, still the home base for the Stickley Furniture Co. As the weight gain, well, I'm sorry we are seeing you again for that annoying reason, but I know you've done well with this kind of project before.

I'm at 149.9 this morning, and suffering from a cold which developed overnight seemingly from a bad sore throat. I'm sure my immune system was running on lower power than usual due to stress. I haven't got much energy today, and the rainy grayness doesn't help, but I need to go to meetings and run a staff meeting. I will not be a sparkling, insightful contributor today, but I'm here, I showed up, and that does count. I'll be glad when the day ends, though.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #306  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Birchie, when I lived at my mother's as a refugee from the flood, I attended a spin class twice weekly in which we paused and checked our pulses. I put two fingers on my neck as everyone else did, and I stared intently at a wall chart indicating what the numbers meant. It was all just acting with me -- I never counted right and I rarely felt anything. Maybe I was dead inside.
I'd never make it as a nurse! I do the same thing! The only reliable way I can get my pulse is by using a heart monitor or my blood pressure cuff.

Great news on the engagement and house, Krampus!

Good news--weight down almost a pound this week. Bad news--busy at work so I stayed late and didn't exercise as planned yesterday. Also, the electricity went out at dinner time and was out for two hours and then off and on thereafter. Too hot for exercise outdoors and too dark to do much inside and the treadmill does require electricity.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #307  
Girl Gone Strong

Oh and Krampus, yeah, congratulations on that wedding thing, too, not just the house. I'm pleased because I think you were posting here when you first met this guy and then on & off as the relationship developed. I feel like we've kind of seen it unfolding.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #308  
in development

Krampus, I agree, agree with all the others.

How did the jumpsuits in London wedding go?

Back to my taking your pulse query. What, no Fitbits here? I think Allison's Jawbone Up fell apart or am I confusing it with someone or something else? You all know how fashion forward I am. What should I be adopting early? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #309  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I can feel my pulse in my neck very clearly with one finger. Possibly aided by the fact that I have a skinny very muscular neck.

I find it difficult to locate it on other people's necks. Have had occasion to try 3 times and wasn't sure what I was feeling.

And no, I can't tickle or massage myself.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #310  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Who asked whether you could tickle or massage yourself? I see Dagmar's response above, but don't recall anyone asking. I do find that an interesting topic though, because I can do both, though it's not as satisfying as when someone else does it to me (less predictability). Dagmar, why doesn't it work if you do it yourself?

And Krampus, welcome back, though I realize you'd rather not be here. FWIW, I personally think 125 is a perfect weight for a 5'5" person, assuming you've got reasonable muscle mass. I know aesthetics are very individual, but I bet you look sleek and lovely.
...and, whatever did happen with the jumpsuit wedding?

As for me, weight is not budging from 132, so time to change my profile, and my attitude.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #311  
Girl Gone Strong

Weighed in at 148.9, and coughing up phlegm. I should not have gone to CT yesterday. But I went to bed early last night and that seems to have helped. Also my back seems to pretty much have recovered from the accident -- no stiffness anymore.

I have five meetings today between me and the start of the Labor Day weekend. I want to lie around. Maybe see some movies.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #312  

I wear a fitbit and love that I can see my heartrate at any given moment. Currently 70.... I'm usually in the 50s unless I'm moving around.

I also need to change my ticker but I'm waiting till tomorrow when I "weigh in". Dh leaves for Asia this morning for almost three weeks so "operation eat healthy, move more" begins in earnest. Weight is currently 127.4 with my redline being 125 and I so want to be back under that quickly.

Car is still at the dealership and now picking it up will be tricky. If they were able to get "the part", it will be ready today. Otherwise Tuesday. I'm driving dh's truck so the dealer can pick me up from work (if it's ready today) but then I have to figure out how to get the truck home....

Don't really have any weekend plans as dh will be gone so plenty of time to focus on being healthy I hope.... Monday off with no plans.... Any great weekend/ Labor Day plans out there I can drool over?
Old 09-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #313  
in development

Which fitbit have you got, Michele?

And this hurricane - Hermione? Is it near anyone we know here? I've been thinking about JayEll and Shannon, and do you remember Megan who posted here for ages?
Old 09-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #314  

I have the fitbit charge HR (heart rate). It's my 3rd one I think. The company is good about replacing them if they die within warranty (one year). They don't seem to last longer than a year (for me anyway).
Old 09-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #315  
Workin' It

Birchie - I have a Fitbit Blaze, a Charge HR and a Surge. I originally just had the Surge and the Charge - Surge for exercise, Charge HR for everyday. I have the Blaze now and tend to wear it all the time. It is big on my wrist though. I like that I can see my current heart rate, as well. It isn't always as accurate as it could be during exercise like weight lifting where the heart rate tends to spike and drop quickly. It is pretty accurate overall though.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote