Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-24-2015, 02:36 AM   #1  

Lightbulb How do you transition to maintenance ?

Hello guys! ,
I've posted a thread before and had some great answers. On this thread i want to specificly get some answers on this question " how do i transition from weightloss calories to maintenance ? " how slowly do i need to increase my calories? 100 per week? I've read that i will gain temporary weight and that it will go away, is that true? or even still lose while figuring my maintenance calories? Im moderate-very active i workout 5-6 days a week 1 hour ( cardio, resistance , strength , yoga stretch )
Btw: when i increase my calories i increase them with fruits/vegetables/some type of nuts since im a flexitarian so im mostly vegan all the time and have some chicken like once a week.
Thanks for the answers guys!
finestcxde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

There is no "one size fits all" answer. If you polled 100 of us maintainers, we'd probably have at least a dozen different answers. Much depends on your activity (you are active), your age, your gender, how much weight you lost, etc.

For me, I slowly increased-- I wasn't counting calories so I'm not sure by what. The problem for some (me included) was loosening my reins some.... till I eventually gained and had to go back to weight loss mode. I feel like I'm on a teeter totter most of the time-- gaining and losing the same 5-10 pounds. Yes, it can be frustrating, but it also keeps me in check because I know I don't want to go back to being obese.

So, I guess my answer is SLOWLY and CAREFULLY. You can always start adding more in if you lose too much. 100 calories a DAY not week sound reasonable to me. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences.

These forums are a great place to stay focused and motivated so keep posting.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I just ate more of the same types of stuff I used to lose weight. And then a lot more as I started working out more. A lot lot more.

For me, maintenance is much more about the "what" I eat than the "how much".

How much is on the loss side of the equation.

What is on the gain side.

At least for me.

Put another way, I eat small portions of healthy stuff to lose (fat and muscle). I eat massive portions of healthy stuff to maintain or gain (muscle) - I don't seem to gain fat no matter how much I eat.

I eat unhealthy stuff to gain (fat). And I eat a lot unhealthy stuff to gain (fat) really fast.

That's how my body works.

Last edited by IanG; 03-24-2015 at 11:20 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote