Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good news to both Sharon and Becky!

Sharon-- I'm sure that is a big relief to you. What is your dd's major? When my older dd was graduating, I was so stressed about her getting a job. She was in college in Washington State and wanted a job in Texas. She ended up with a great job and I'm very thankful! She does have major student loans though-- your dd doesn't?

I went to yoga last night and I'm not sure it was the best idea. My back isn't nearly as bad as it was, but it's certainly not feeling great. The rational part of me knows I should lay off for a while longer (and I probably will), but the irrational part of me wants to go tonight-- they are having a guest teacher tonight and I met him last night-- from France and HOT! It's the only night he'll be teaching and I'd HATE to miss. We will see how I progress during the day. My tummy isn't happy either but I think it's trying to get back on schedule after traveling and eating off plan somewhat.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #32  
Workin' It

Jay - sorry about Oscar. I know he had a great life, but that doesn't make this any easier.

Sharon - congrats to your daughter!

Becky - I just saw your post about walking like a zombie after your 5k. I'm laughing, because I pushed 5k really hard on Monday at the park and I can still barely walk downstairs. I'm glad your MIL is well, and I think eating out is the best idea.

Michele - be careful with your back!

It is cold here today, too. Though my high of 45 is probably warm compared to snow, ice and flurries.

I'm tired tired tired right now. I'm hoping that will turn and come back up with the stress off, just hasn't happened yet.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #33  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Oscar crossed the rainbow bridge this afternoon. It was a compassionate and peaceful transition. We're glad he is no longer suffering but we are heartbroken, of course.

Thanks to all of you for your kind wishes.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #34  

Height: 5'7"

JayEll,

Michele, her major is comp sci, just like mine. No loans unless something happens the last semester. My two adjunct professor jobs have helped with this.
DH is a financial advisor and hates debt. The first year we hardly had to pay anything because DS was in college. But then when he graduated we had to pay quite a bit, but supposedly it was what FAFSA says we can afford. Although I don't know how anyone could pay what they says if just working one job. If she hadn't worked her butt off while there we may have made her get loans but she really gave it her all. Even this semester she has a really tough load with extra classes to get a business minor. Idk how she's done it. But idk how I have worked three jobs either. I'm just so thankful and relieved she got the offer. When my DS graduated in May 2012 it took four months to find a job, but he ended up with a great job. He worked a very low paying job those four months.

I feel so bad for the students who graduated when the recession was at its peak. I have several former students who couldn't get anything and wouldn't take anything "beneath them" and they never have gotten into their field.

Did anyone see the movie Chef? I loved it.

Last edited by CalCounter1003; 11-13-2014 at 11:40 PM.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:57 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Very, very happy person here! Family has agreed to break with tradition and go out to eat for Thanksgiving. This will take a lot of stress off my MIL, who is recovering from a mastectomy a week and a half ago. By the way - thank you all for the good wishes ... all the nodes were clear and prognosis is pretty good. Anyhow, this way she doesn't have to worry about people in her house, going to someone else's house, figuring out what to bring ... she can just enjoy (hopefully) the family.
Best wishes to your MIL hope she will be well.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #36  
Workin' It

JayEl.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Just let it be known that I hate (loathe even) FAFSA.

DS called me yesterday to say he's thinking of changing his major. At first I kind of freaked (long story, his BFF goes to UCLA and was an engineering major and changed to polysci and DS "helps" him a LOT with his homework). Anyway, it isn't bad. He had met with his guidance counselor to make sure he's still on the 4-year track and because a professor suggested to him that he should do a double major (he's smart like that). He's computer science now and he's thinking of either changing to software engineering or doing both. The counselor said he's able to do both and still graduate in 4 years but he may need to take 4 classes some quarters rather than the 3 he's been doing. She also found out that no one had given him credit for all his AP stuff he did in high school so he's very happy she fixed that-- no more language courses to take. He has until Monday to decide what course of action to take.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Another loather of FAFSA. I love that we have to fill it out each year only to be told we don't qualify for any aid. Then why do we have to take out student loans to pay for college?

That's great Allison if ds can still graduate in 4 years. My younger dd changed her major and it will delay graduation by a semester. No biggie except her major is elementary education so it will be tricky to get a job mid year, so she may have to sub but she's not positive where she wants to live....

Loved Chef!

Hugs to you JayEll. I hope you are doing okay today. I'm still mourning Jozi, but it does get less painful.

I'm unsure about my back.... it was feeling better so I went back to yoga on Wednesday. Hurt yesterday so I didn't exercise. Still hurting today but better-- I want to try yoga again but I'm afraid. I'm not sure if I'm being overly cautious or not cautious enough. My weight is still up a bit from my Arizona trip and I'd really like it to be at least where it was last Saturday for my weigh in, but that would have me losing 1.5 pounds by tomorrow, so not too likely.

Next week is my "slingshot" week which is when you eat higher carb every day. My dd says she often sees a gain that week, followed by a big drop the following week as you are shaking things up.

Today's challenge is to avoid the pasta feast being provided by our 4th grade team for lunch. It's a low carb day for me so I need to stick with my planned meals....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #39  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Jay, sorry about your furry friend.

Allison, CS and software engineering are generally so close that it's probably not a big change to switch from one to the other.

Sharon, congrats on your DD's job!

Work has continued to be crazy. Basically I got moved from being the software lead of a very small project with two people to being the software lead of a very large project with 30 people, half of whom are in India. It is a huge vote of confidence in my abilities by the company so hopefully I can deliver on their expectations.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCounter1003 View Post

Michele, her major is comp sci, just like mine.
Given the flak about so few women in CS, she hopefully had her pick of high-paying jobs. Here in Seattle, much is written about the lack of women at Amazon and Microsoft. One wonders if it's really because few woman go into CS or because the companies are run by men in an "old boys' network" kind of manner. I really wish my DD would have taken after her software engineer father, only because it would be so much easier to pay back those student loans she took out.

Michele, our paper was saying just this morning that the school districts here are having a heck of a time finding subs, and they are paying them to be available for work as well as other incentives.

Last edited by Sheila53; 11-14-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

My condolences, JayEl,

Allison, sounds like your son and his GC are on top of things and weighing the right factors. Good for him if he can double major in 4 years!

Congrats, Becky. Such a relief! We eat out for a few get-togethers. I wish we did all our gatherings at restaurants.

Sharon, congrats to your DD! I hope she has enough money leftover after rent to enjoy living in NYC -- I love going there for the shows.

CC, I didn't see the movie Chef, but I loved the BBC series. Don't know if it's related.

Sheila, I was a comp sci major over thirty years ago. So far as I can tell, I didn't experience any problems with an "old boys' network" but I've remained technical. I suspect I might have had glass ceiling issues if I had wanted to be in high-level management, where the networking is probably more important.

DD has applied Early Decision to a college and it's hard for her to find motivation to work on other applications. She will have a few weeks after she finds out the ED result that she could use to cram on the other applications if she has to find a another option. She's done some of the up-front work and we've sent her scores to a few schools to show her interest. Fingers crossed that there won't be a mad scramble at the end of this year.

Last edited by yoyoma; 11-16-2014 at 08:22 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #42  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Some of you may not read the exercise thread (moving like supernovas through November). Saef has just posted there that she was knocked down by a car four or five days ago. She's just home from hospital, her mother is looking after her at present, she's got plates and screws in her knee.

I am quite shocked. This is the second time she's been knocked over.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #43  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Oh my goodness, Saef, wishing you rapid recovery.

(Thanks for the tip, silverbirch.)
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Saef!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

That's horrible! Hope you get up and around soon, Saef.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote