Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post

The other interesting tidbit from the behaviorist: apparently the whining is characteristic of German Shepherds.
I've found this out myself! Bogey whines quite a bit but I've gotten him to quiet down easily. Now that he's settled in with us he rarely whines at home. The office is a little different.

I hope the thundershirt will help his anxiety in places like the vet. He's not afraid of anything (he'll sleep through thunderstorms and fireworks) but in an environment with scents of other animals (whether present or not) he'll get super whiney and bark a bit and won't listen to my commands at all. At the pet store where I took him to get his nails done he totally ignored the other dogs but jumped on the counter to sniff the merchandise, whined and barked and then tried to bite the groomer. I should get the shirt today but don't know when I'll have a chance to put it to use.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #17  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

My apartment is as dark as dusk because of a thunderstorm, I'm trying to relax after speaking to a camera for 12 minutes during a lengthy WebEx meeting, during which I'm sure it was obvious I was reading from notes -- and I'm rewriting four pages of sentences that go like this:

Quote:
This vision, which describes the assumed future technology trend in globe and [company name's]’s directions, can be evaluated valuable.
At the end of this day is a facial at a day spa in our village, but right now, the prospect of that is also stressing me, as I need to get this document rewritten before I can walk off to the appointment at 5:30 PM, and this feels like a job that will take me until 7 PM at least.

Sheila, so your kid went to school with the actor Aaron Paul? Not surprised he was a dork. You know the reputation that theater kids have, because they are openly enthusiastic about something, and many kids feel enthusiasm is just not cool. You're not supposed to look like you care. Thank goodness we have the rest of our lives to overcome high school. Do you know how often I tried to get out of gym, way back then? How I hated even changing into gym clothes, because the other girls would see me doing it? And now I am a gym rat. Talk about overcompensation.

Last edited by saef; 07-15-2014 at 03:22 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:35 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

DH is making dinner all this and next week. We had a really good vegetarian pizza last night that he made from scratch. I hope these two weeks inspire him to cook more. He is quite inventive in the kitchen and combines things in ways I would never think to do.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #19  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar, he sounds like he's a creative guy and gets bored easily. If he has the lightbulb moments in the kitchen, all you may need to do is stock the pantry. My spouse's interest in food led to all sorts of kitchen mastery, and then to a huge garden (because nothing tastes as good as fresh), bees, beer brewing, and I fully expect once he retires there will be chickens and possibly a goat.

saef, you are so right about enthusiasm! And high school. Yuck. I wouldn't take a million dollars to go back to that time and relive it. Double yuck. Sympathies on the Japanese rewriting, if that sentence is representative of the whole document.

My living room is a wispy white mess. Alcide, my white mutt of Lionhead and Jersey Wooly, is SHEDDING. Shedding like I've never seen - shedding great globs of heavy undercoat, so thick and fine it literally is like wool. This stuff is so fine it welds to the carpet (very dark green) and requires multiple passes of a Kirby vacuum to pick up. He is getting smaller by the day from the shoulders rearward and man, is he ever crabby. I can't imagine how itchy that must be. DS and I are brushing him about 6 times a day.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #20  

Becky You can save all of Alcide's wool and make him a small pillow on which to lay his now considerably less plushy body.

Mudpie sheds a little every day. It's consistent so no cat hair blizzards. Best cat ever!

Dagmar
Old 07-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Poor puppy! And poor you Becky! I know my dd says her lab is blowing out his coat.

Luckily we don't have carpet and I just swiffer the hair up. Lots of cat hair in the bed though!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #22  

Can you use a Furminator on Alcide, Becky?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #23  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Allison, we can as long as we are exceptionally careful. Rabbit skin is really thin and fragile, plus they squirm a lot. I've so far had the best luck with petting him around the shoulders with one hand, and plucking wads of fur out of his butt with the other. Furminators are terrific devices and it will probably be okay to use after we get through the worst of this.

Dagmar, I usually just put it outside. Certain birds LOVE the stuff for nest building!

Michele, I threaten them both with hardwood floors. I haven't mentioned yet that the other one, Jamie, has been eating holes in my carpet (which was due for replacement anyway). Hard floors are a bear for bunnies - they don't have pads on their feet for gripping; it's all fur on the bottom. Thus, they do NOT like slippery surfaces. Sure would be easier to keep up with the hair, though ...
Old 07-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #24  

Most of you know my saga with my office assistant, right? Well once again she called in sick (dizzy, ran out of the meds they prescribed her for the dizzinesss--didn't she think to have it renewed?). And yeah, I have a hair appointment today to get gussied up for the wedding.

And she is also my pet sitter. I'm terrified that she's going to not be able to feed the six animals! I'm going next door tonight to ask the guys there (we've taken care of their dogs) to be on standby if she can't make it.

Meanwhile, my Chewy (pet food) order was supposed to ship Monday for delivery Friday and it still has not shipped. I'm going to have to go out for emergency rations that will hold everybody over until we get back from vacation.

Stress? No, I have to stress in my life. (And I still can't submit my contractor's license request as my insurance guy has not found the proper bond.)
Old 07-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #25  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Allison, yikes on the stress! Hope the neighbors agreed to back you up - it looks like from the list that that might be the only element you have any chance of controlling. Sometimes it all comes down at once, doesn't it?

Loving this cooler weather! Mid July is generally not like this. The only downside is it does make the outdoor swimming and beach activities less enjoyable.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Allison, yikes on the stress! Hope the neighbors agreed to back you up - it looks like from the list that that might be the only element you have any chance of controlling. Sometimes it all comes down at once, doesn't it?

Loving this cooler weather! Mid July is generally not like this. The only downside is it does make the outdoor swimming and beach activities less enjoyable.
I too am loving the cooler weather. I have to wear my jacket for the first walk but hey! it sure beats getting up and finding out it's already 80+ outside. If the sun is out here it's t shirt for the second and remaining walks - a bit chilly if the wind is blowing. The dogs are crazy for this kind of weather!

Dagmar
Old 07-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Becky- we have laminate floors rather than real food. Maybe they are a tad less slippery?

I'm not building in my vacation buffer! My weight went up a few and it's stubbornly staying there. I'm throwing a baby shower today. It's at a tea room so I'll have high tea and all that entails so I know my weight won't be down tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Off to an early bikram class with my least favorite instructor but it's the only class I can squeeze in today.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #28  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Becky- we have laminate floors rather than real food.
Love this typo!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #29  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Less calories, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #30  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

You're right, Bill, but you have to pick the bits out of your teeth. That's the one thing I don't like about them.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote