Maintainers Moving Their Feet Through the Heat of July

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Phew! That's a relief. I know you're keen on exercise but I didn't think even you would do that!
  • July 10: rest day

July 11: 20 min treadmill run, 10 min rowing machine, lat pulldowns, planks, Roman chair leg raises. About 2 miles hiking in evening.

July 12: Music festival = dancing a lot

July 13: Vegetable recovery day

July 14: 18 min on treadmill, 2.17 miles.
  • July 15: 15 min stair stepper, 100 KB swings, 50 KB deadlifts, planks.
  • Tuesday, July 15th:

NROLW 4B, first workout in this sequence, welcome back to the deficit deadlift, which I am pretty sure I am doing wrong. This was so wearying, in the humidity, but I felt surprisingly snappy on the treadmill sprints.
  • Wednesday, July 16th:

45 minute spin class, with confirmation that I am definitely doing the deficit deadlift with bad form, as my lower back is sore. The humidity today was punishing, like wading through soup to get to the gym.
  • Thursday, July 17th:

60 minutes elliptical, still setting resistance at nine, but finally, after a few years, this is getting routine -- it's doing weight-bearing stuff with my legs that made this change, not incessantly using the machine.
    60 minute Pilates mat class, slightly less punishing than usual, could it be because of also doing ab sequence in NROLW as well as two weekly Pilates classes? Hmmm.
  • Friday, July 18th:

NROLW 4A workout for the second time, upping the weights but dropping the height of the step for the step-ups. I have a sore left hip flexor, or maybe it's sciatica, which made the lateral leg work feel uneven today, much harder for the sore side than the okay side.

15 minutes StairMaster, as this is about all I can do.
  • Saturday, July 19th:

60 minute spin class, with a couple women bringing their daughters to their exercise class with them today
    60 minute Pilates mat class, in which I can feel myself getting better & better, ever since NROLW starting incorporating an abs sequence, so now I am working abs five days a week
  • Ok Krampus, I'm biting: what on earth is "vegetable recovery day"?
  • Quote: July 10: back to back bikram!
    100 minutes bikram yoga x 2

July 11: back to back bikram third day running!
    100 minutes bikram yoga x 2

Totals:
    13 workouts
    1260 minutes
    So behind in posting...

July 12: Pilates 60 minutes

July 13: hike 150 minutes

July 14: Pilates 60 minutes, bikram yoga 100 minutes

July 15: bikram yoga back to back classes 2@100 minutes each

July 16: bikram yoga 100 minutes

July 17: two bikram yoga classes, 2@100 minutes each

July 18: bikram yoga 100 minutes, 105 minute walk

July 19: Pilates 60 minutes

Totals:
    25 workouts
    2395 minutes
  • I'm still imprisoned at the excessively well-airconditioned Ritz Carlton Hotel in Orlando, spending my days in ballrooms, which sounds romantic but means cloth-covered dividing walls, skirted tables with piles of pens in the middle and brainstorming on white boards. Also watching dynamic speakers using words like EBITDA while holding a clicker in their hands to advance enormous PowerPoint presentations overhead. This event has disrupted my ordinarily well-regulated life, leading to:

Sunday, July 20th:

An incomplete NROLw4B workout without the ab sequence or HIIT sprints, because I had to finish packing and drive to the Park-and-Fly near the airport.

Monday, July 21st:

At the really nice hotel gym, 30 minutes elliptical, resistance at nine, very tough going, and then finishing off the ab sequence left from yesterday

Tuesday, July 22nd:

After maybe four hours of sleep, an unsatisfactory NROLW 4A workout, because of competing with colleagues and guests from the adjacent Marriott for scarce weight-lifting resources. I could see my weakness from lack of sleep in the low weights I was using and also because I got ravenously hungry. I am not someone who can handle fasted workouts.

I have a 7 AM breakfast meeting tomorrow to take my manager and co-team-leader through draft PowerPoint, so I'm not sure about the gym ...
  • Quote: So behind in posting...

July 12: Pilates 60 minutes

July 13: hike 150 minutes

July 14: Pilates 60 minutes, bikram yoga 100 minutes

July 15: bikram yoga back to back classes 2@100 minutes each

July 16: bikram yoga 100 minutes

July 17: two bikram yoga classes, 2@100 minutes each

July 18: bikram yoga 100 minutes, 105 minute walk

July 19: Pilates 60 minutes

Totals:
    25 workouts
    2395 minutes
    July 20: 100 minutes bikram yoga

July 21:100 minutes bikram yoga, 60 minutes Pilates class

July 22: 100 minutes bikram yoga, 30 minute walk to gym and 23 minutes stair master there. Last workout before I leave for London!

Totals:
    30 workouts
    2808 minutes
  • Wednesday, July 23:

No gym, struggling with this decision (oh the guilt, the second thoughts) as I try to catch up with work in my hotel room before that 7 AM breakfast meeting.

I will not get home tonight from the airport till 10 PM so it's likely I have missed out on any chance for exercise today.
  • Quote: Ok Krampus, I'm biting: what on earth is "vegetable recovery day"?
    Haha, sorry for getting back so late: that translates to "exhausted/feeling poorly to the extent that the day was spent in a nearly vegetative state."

July 18: went to the gym, can't remember what exactly I did, usual stuff
    July 19: wedding day for friends. rest day
    July 20: ran 3.5 miles on treadmill, DB bench press, DB shoulder press, seated cable row, planks. In the evening went for a walk about 3 miles.
    July 21: rest day
    July 22: Ran about 2 miles on treadmill, seated leg press, Bulgarian split squats, KB deadlifts, glute bridges, planks, cooldown treadmill
    July 23: Ran 1.3 miles on treadmill in 10:00, stair stepper for 5 minutes, DB bench press, DB shoulder press, DB lying triceps extension, Roman chair leg raises
  • *sneaks in* I followed Krampus.... I miss the "Featherweight" chat! Seems like you all are a pretty cool community and really have your stuff together when it comes to being accountable to a routine.

Don't know if I'd call myself a maintainer yet (I'm about halfway to my gw) but I'm looking to set up sustainable behaviors I can follow that will carry me to the next phase of my weight loss targets. I've lost about 15 lbs since this time last summer and am planning the same for this time next summer. The one rule I've followed pretty consistently is "no eating after 8PM" and it's gotten me this far, but I'm pretty sure that I'll need some kind of an exercise to get me to goal.

I don't belong to a gym, but that's no excuse! Hoping I can still post in for what I can accomplish with a yoga mat, treadmill, youtube videos, and the outdoors.