June Journaling of Moving Maintainers

You're on Page 5 of 6
Go to
  • June 24: 1 mile in 8:19 on treadmill. DB bench press, tricep extensions, Smith machine shoulder press, glute bridges w/45# plaet, lat pulldowns w/facing grip. Exhausting since I donated blood yesterday.
  • Quote: June 21: went to a new to me bikram yoga studio here. Unbelievably hot! I sweat soooooooo much!
    100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
    21 workouts
    2010 minutes
    June 22: went with dd to her gym and got half a workout as they were showing me the equipment while giving me a sales pitch. About 30 minutes of cardio and machines. Went home and walked for another 30 minutes in the heat and humidity.

June 23: 100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
    23 workouts
    2170 minutes
  • June 23, MuTu System w1d1
    - mutu core phase 1 x 2
    - 30 min brisk walk pushing the stroller
    - 1819 calories
    - carb/fat/protein 63/20/17%
    - no desserts or sugary drinks
  • Tuesday, June 24th:

NROLW 3B workout for the first time, chugging along, only to become disoriented when I realized I'd lost count of reps. It asks for 3x6 twice over. It's easy to forget this while intent on spelling out "YTWL" lying on an inclined bench. And then on the treadmill, I bonked. I didn't have it in me, not even for 12 minutes. Not the best workout today, not at all. Feeling today like maybe this program is beyond me in its intricacy.
  • June 25: 4 mile awful laborious jog in humidity, at reduced cardio capacity due to blood donation Monday evening. 6 min stair stepper at gym and 100 kettlebell swings, planks.
  • Wednesday, June 25th:

45 minute spin class, thank goodness for air-conditioning, and feeling badly for Krampus
  • Saef, you will get the hang of YTNB!

June 24, MuTu w1d2
    - mutu core phase 1 x 2
    - 20 min walk
    - 1789 calories
    - carb/fat/protein 71/14/15%
    - no desserts or sugary drinks
  • Now I am remembering, since I was a new member then: Jessica, you did NROLW, didn't you? What did you think?

Thursday, June 26th:

60 minutes elliptical, random intervals, resistance at nine, sweat oozing, pooling & dripping. Amazing how humidity still comes through somehow, even in an air-conditioned room.
    60 minute Pilates mat class, which NROLW is helping with, and it is helping NROLW
  • Thanks saef! Glad you survived this morning's sweat session.

June 26: arc trainer warmup, Smith machine squats and calf raises, DB shoulder presses, KB deadlifts
  • Saef, yes, I did NROLW! It was hard but I definitely saw results from doing it. I think when I was finishing it up was the only time in my life I ever saw definition in the muscles on my calves and thighs.

June 25, MuTu w1d3
    - mutu core phase 1 x 2
    - 20 min walk
    - 1507 calories
    - carb/fat/protein 69/15/16%
    - no desserts or sugary drinks, protein at breakfast
  • Jessica, I understand that completely, because this program's leg work has been a revelation. I have never really trained my legs, thinking that my cardio took care of that, but from these routines, I am learning the error of my ways. I'd probably be seeing definition, too, if I were eating differently, but I am so NOT in the mood to restrict, so I remain overweight by BMI standards. One benefit: My butt is getting a slightly better shape on it from all the hamstring and posterior chain work.

Krampus, I always meant to ask you, what determines what exercises you do at the gym? Is there a method to your madness? Equipment availability, split days, impulse, a program? I think what I'm envying is that by working a program, I've essentially committed myself for six months with NROLW so of course I envy anyone who's doing anything free-form or spontaneous.

Friday, June 27th:

NROLW 3A workout, for the second time, adding some weight to Sunday's session. Let tell you, it is possible to suffer physically while being bored to death while holding three consecutive 90-second planks. Again, no desire to do cardio and particularly not the StairMaster after the body weight matrix at the end of this workout.
  • Quote: Now I am remembering, since I was a new member then: Jessica, you did NROLW, didn't you? What did you think?

Thursday, June 26th:

60 minutes elliptical, random intervals, resistance at nine, sweat oozing, pooling & dripping. Amazing how humidity still comes through somehow, even in an air-conditioned room. Hahaha, bold print statement is why it's humid indoors, lol.
    60 minute Pilates mat class, which NROLW is helping with, and it is helping NROLW
    For me... NROLW - too many stages, A/B, weeks switch off A2 B1, whatever Reminds me of Rubik's cube... looked at it a couple times and just thought nah, there are better things to do... I will get my muscle building done in a simpler way,
    Cheers, all!
  • Stiff and sore from yesterday's workout, which took a lot out of me. Going to the gym definitely limbered me up, though I do have some lingering soreness in my butt, hamstrings and the small of my back.

Saturday, June 28th

60 minute spin class
    60 minute Pilates mat class
  • Sunday, June 29th:

This program has now gotten me in the habit of doing some warmup stretching. I need it. When I first try it, I cannot sit down on my heels in hero pose, as my quads are always way too tight. After some work with pigeon, I am able to do it. I can also go lower in my squat. I can't believe how inflexible and creaky my body has become.

NROLW 3B workout, finally getting the moves down, even for YTWL. In this stage, you just do each of the workouts four times, which means just when I feel competent and fairly confident in executing each exercise, I'll be onto the next stage. Also I had a better time on the treadmill intervals. I backed off a little and did 6.8, 7.0, 6.9. 6.9 and 6.8.
  • Monday, June 30th:

45 minute spin class, just two of us, led by a disappointed spin instructor, who's young and new, and not yet popular. Partly because she's into serious road riding, without the jumps and moving around on the bike that some instructors do to make class lively. But also it's because of her indie music playlist, which isn't as energetic and urban as some attendees would like it to be, or as nostalgic and upbeat and pop-centric as other attendees would like it to be.