Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #76  
Workin' It

The number of participants in a thread probably has something to do with it. Also, I agree that some people reach goal and pop in for a little, are content with their maintenance and pop back out. The same reasons already mentioned - some may not need the support, some may not feel inspired by the fact that several of us are above goal and working our way back down, maybe some regain and don't feel comfortable admitting it. Dunno. I always thought that 3FC would be transitional during the losing process and I would then wander away, but I've been here for years now.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #77  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Shannon, I wandered away from 3FC for a while after reaching my goal, but came back when I was starting to have trouble being motivated to keep up the work.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Sending supportive thoughts to Bargoo - and condolences that your horse didn't win the Triple Crown. "Coward.
We are not gong to discuss that, are we , Bill ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

I find there's a core group on each forum, at least for the two forums I've been with. Sometimes one of them leaves permanently (Meg here as far as I know) and sometimes people drift away and then reappear. I tend to pick one group and stick with it if that's where I am re weight. Since I have been maintaining (with a small regain) I stay here. And will stay here as this is the stage I'll be at for a long time I think.

Kinda like a little family. AWW

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #80  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I'm getting my toes wet, soon, in open-water lake swimming. My coach is a formidable personality and loooooves to push people beyond what they think they can do. So I'm going to be a "swim angel", which is sorta like a pacer in a road race, for the half-mile swim in August. Much as I love to swim, lakes are my least favorite place to do it. Between seaweed and muck and andandandand ... thank goodness I have til August to desensitize. I am wondering what the heck I've gotten myself into.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I think it's a comfort zone thing. A while back I joined a challenge and tried to fit in there but it wasn't as comfortable as here, so here I stay.

Becky, I'm not too familiar with natural lakes as we're more used to reservoirs but I agree with the muck statement. And for those down south where the waters become warmer I'd be afraid of those amoebas.

I'm making strides in my sodium reduction, potassium increase and other stuff related to DASH. I'm weaning myself off of caffeine. I've bought a BP monitor and check my BP at least once a day. After a little over a week I am noticing a slight reduction in my BP so my changes must be working!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #82  
slow and steady

I feel accomplished today because I WENT TO THE GYM for the first time since my first trimester of pregnancy over a year ago. I clearly have a long way to go to get back in shape. Also a little more uncomfortable disrobing in the locker room since I have this ridiculous big saggy belly now. I need to do some research on the best exercises for diastasis recti.

Becky, the hardest thing for me about lake swimming is not being able to see anything underwater. In the triathlons I did a few years back I did one swim in a reservoir and two swims in a canal. I feel like training in a pool didn't quite prepare me properly for not being able to see where I was going.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hooray Jessica! That's awesome!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #84  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Jessica: http://inspiredrd.com/2013/11/5-exer...diastasis.html
My OB-GYN friend recommends this too: http://www.diastasisrehab.com/what-is-tupler-technique but I'm always a bit wary of sites that want to sell you something.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #85  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

You'll remember that no butter and peanut butter streak I had a few months ago. Well, I'm pleased to report that the no peanut butter part has stuck. In fact, I don't buy it any more. This is linked to two things: I don't eat it anymore and the particular 'only peanuts' brand comes from a wholefood shop I don't have time to get to at the present point in my busy life. I hadn't realised that until this morning when the SO said he was getting his hair cut tomorrow and might go to this shop to buy some peanut butter.

Yes, life is very busy.

And that means that the butter part of the streak has made a reappearance in my life. Not so good. To streak or not to streak? This is one of the variables I'm juggling with.

I went to see my trainer yesterday. I'm very pleased with the weights programme which is working well and having a good effect on my body. And it's also indicating the areas which are made, frankly, of too much fat. So, as I'm feeling fairly strong and injury-free, I'm thinking of taking up formal cardio again. As I gave up my gymn-membership and have no access to a rower (my favourite cardio), and I have a dodgy recent history of running and I'm pressed for time, I'm thinking of hill climbing. We've got any number of classic hill climbs round here but I'm busy so it would be up and down a track in a park in the town I take the DB to every morning until mid July. Say eight times. I haven't gone firm on this so it's another variable.

Whilst I'm listing them, I'll tell you about a fairly large piece of work I'm doing across all the 32 boroughs in London (I don't live there), that the builders are coming tomorrow for a week or so (no kitchen), that several field walls are to be rebuilt from Monday, that the DB's exams start shortly, that I'm a bit concerned about the elderly wing of the fam, that the SO is a bit short of sleep.

My new dress is wonderful, though. And I've just bought another in the same style which is, probably not coincidentally, the same style as my school summer uniform 1966-1971. It's a style which anyone can wear.

ETA: Jessica, that's just wonderful news!

Last edited by silverbirch; 06-11-2014 at 08:13 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #86  
slow and steady

Thanks for the links Andrea!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #87  

Becky Wetsuit. Easier to swim in a "shortie" but the "longies" physically and mentally protect against anything "yucky" in open water. I have done some unexpected swimming (kayaks tip quite regularly) and was much less put off by having that layer of neoprene on. Weeds fall right off it without leaving slime on your body etc.

Dagmar
Old 06-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #88  
Just watch me ...

Well, I've been back to work for about a year & regained my losses and then some. If I get on the scale I won't want to leave the house!

Lost the weight by: no work stress, ate at home, pilates , walking. Now I 'm up at 5:15 am and home 7:30 pm. Eat bad, no exercise, exhausted during the week. Glad I'm back to work , like the office, but really looking & feeling a mess.

I felt so good back then, now

Starting a ballet class this weekend. Hoping to get my mojo back
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Dang, that's a long day Exhale15! I'm up at 5, at work by 7, but usually leave the office between 3 and 4. But having motivational issues trying to get myself to work out.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:26 AM   #90  

Exhale We all lose our motivation at one time or another. You're taking a ballet class? Cool!

Dagmar