Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

CalCounter~your DD sounds a lot like mine! You remember the terrible twos? Well we had the torrid threes and the furious fours! I remember one day she was particularly mad for any unknown reason and I'd had a bad day at work and only wanted to sit down, read the paper and relax with a glass of wine. Our house was set up with sliding doors in the living room and master bedroom and both were off the back patio. And my bedroom door locked. Since she refused to go to her room to calm down, I surreptitiously unlocked the living room slider, went to my room, locked the door, changed my clothes and then slipped out my slider and into the living room. All the while she furiously kicked at my bedroom door and wailed. As soon as she calmed down, I slipped back into my room and let her into the bedroom and it was as if nothing had happened. But had I confronted her with her bad mood she would have continued for the rest of the night.

Oh, and my son has already helped create a few Apple iPhone apps. He built a game by himself but never submitted it. He just wanted the practice. He's been a wiz at coding and such since middle school robotics class.

And Monterey is beautiful, but very cold (for me, the desert rat!).

Good luck on the interview, Jen! That would be a nice raise!

Tonight is Bogey's last obedience class and graduation. The transformation has been amazing. Last night and this morning I was able to get his food ready and feed him all the while he just sat and watched me. No more having to have DH hold his leash. No more tying his leash to the Jeep. No more of his jumping and trying to get to the food before I was done dishing. Next up is his e-collar training starting on Friday with the main goal to get him to stop wanting to chase the cats.

Last edited by alinnell; 03-11-2014 at 10:29 AM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good luck Jen! Let us know how it goes!!

CalCounter-- Monterrey is so nice! And yes, go to the aquarium! Carmel is nearby and it is gorgeous too. I'm very jealous. I'm a little over an hour away so you could always come and visit me!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

When in Monterey have lunch on the wharf and watch the otters play while you dine.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Back from the interview - I think it went really well - it was 4 people interviewing me and one guy on video conference.

It will be some time before they decide apparently - the state works SLOW.

Taking a job that I won't like nearly as well for 30,000 more a year (and in retirement)? Maybe I won't even need to make the decision, but my understanding is they only interviewed a few people....
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #20  

Just reading along. I hope dog graduation is great and the job interview works out.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #21  

Height: 5'7"

Wow! So many great tips for Monterey, thank you! I'm going to have to bookmark this page because in June I don't want to have to look through months of threads. Oh wait, there is a search feature!

Megan - She is a CS major (like her mom ) Yes, she is quite the traveler, and last summer she was in London and every weekend she went to different cities/countries. I was a nervous wreck because she had to do a lot of it alone, she was the only intern at her work and there were two guys but they never wanted to do anything. The internship is some type of programming job, no idea in what language or anything.

Bargoo- I can't wait to see the otters! They look so cute!

Alison - that's great that your son has already written apps! He should submit them, it just looks better. Who cares if there are not many downloads! It shows he can get something done! Oh yes, it was awful from 0-4.5 with DD. I remember days like you described. At two weeks the pediatrician said "oh this one has a temper!" And I thought, what?! How can you tell? Was he ever right!11 The first fit she had was 11 months and they continued for years. If that nanny show had been on back then, I would have been tempted for an intervention, ha ha. My DS was the opposite, aimed to please like our golden retriever. But I am so blessed with how they both turned out as adults.

Jen - good luck! Sounds like a hard decision. More $ is awesome but not liking the job... IDK. But, you never know, you may love it! Especially when you get paid!

Michele-thanks I will!
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyofsix View Post
Just reading along. I hope dog graduation is great and the job interview works out.
I love your quote about excuses. I may look for a poster of that for my classroom, high school students. They are great kids, but they do have excuses!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I have a very light day today - only 3 dogwalks. I'm so relieved that the nasty weather is happening today. Going to go and buy a small chest freezer this morning and then go to work. So strange not being rushed and trying to do 15 things at once this morning.

Kind of nice. I imagine retirement will be kinda like this. A small workday with a lot of time for all the other stuff.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #24  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Working from home today - we are getting slammed with more snow and wind. We have about 5" down already and it appears it is supposed to keep falling through the day. Good thing DS is home to shovel it.

I've been lurking, as nothing has been happening that's worth posting. I'm tired of winter and until I see a crocus bloom, it's not going to be "better".
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Bogey graduated last night!
The photo should be public on Facebook, but if you can't see it let me know and I'll put it on my photobucket for you to see.
https://www.facebook.com/DreamDogsDo...type=1&theater
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

OMG that is beyond AWESOME! Great job Bogey - Chakotay and Archer are barking claps of happiness you good boy!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #27  

Bogey looks so sweet! Love the picture!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Bogey graduated last night!
The photo should be public on Facebook, but if you can't see it let me know and I'll put it on my photobucket for you to see.
https://www.facebook.com/DreamDogsDo...type=1&theater
He looks so proud! Congrats to you and Bogey!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

In one of those weird small world things I might be walking the dog that now lives at my former family home. The people who bought the house from me are looking for a dogwalker and asked my realtors for a referral.

I am really interested to see their reno. I have always seen the house in my dad's old fashioned view - it would be really cool to see it updated and modernized.

Today was also weird in that I had to scrape ice off the INSIDE of my car windows. This winter has been most decidedly weird. I'm going to go to a big flower show this weekend to convince myself that spring really IS coming.

And that I really have to start to DIET!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #30  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Is every winter like this, and I just forget conveniently during the subsequent months?

I'm bundled up at my desk on my work from home day. No snow, but 40 mph winds and temperatures in the teens.

Just saying hi. Nothing much happening. I'm deeply itchy with the shingles, and sometimes aching, but the rash is getting smaller and the sores are scabbing over. Massive and extensive projects are coming my way at work. I've surely gained weight this week and feel unmotivated to restrict food, and it's been hard to drag myself to the gym. I think it will be easier if the weather relents and I'm feeling physically better.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote