Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #466  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

At my last doctor's visit he told me to stop taking calcium supplements and to eat more yogurt, cottage cheese, and dark leafy vegetables. So for the past couple of weeks I've been having cottage cheese and fruit for my breakfasts. Last week I bought a carton of cottage cheese and it was simply inedible. I've never tasted anything so tasteless. When I hear of people saying something tastes like eating cardboard I can totally understand now. It was a brand carried by several grocery stores here so I figured it was a good brand. I always get either low or non-fat and this was low fat. I had to throw it out! I'm eating a different brand today (and one I've never bought before) and it is normal tasting. I wonder if the batch I got on the other brand had omitted the salt. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause it to be tasteless.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #467  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
At my last doctor's visit he told me to stop taking calcium supplements and to eat more yogurt, cottage cheese, and dark leafy vegetables. So for the past couple of weeks I've been having cottage cheese and fruit for my breakfasts. Last week I bought a carton of cottage cheese and it was simply inedible. I've never tasted anything so tasteless. When I hear of people saying something tastes like eating cardboard I can totally understand now. It was a brand carried by several grocery stores here so I figured it was a good brand. I always get either low or non-fat and this was low fat. I had to throw it out! I'm eating a different brand today (and one I've never bought before) and it is normal tasting. I wonder if the batch I got on the other brand had omitted the salt. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause it to be tasteless.
I actually prefer the low salt cottage cheese-- the regular tastes way too salty to me. Did the doc say why you should stop the supplements? I'm sure real food is always preferable, but what if you don't get enough?
Old 05-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #468  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

JayZeeJay, that's very interesting. Please keep us posted as you deal with it.

Allison, I've eaten cottage cheese, fruit and a little muesli & wheatgerm + milk for breakfast for years - until last week. I stayed in a B&B in London and had breakfast with a Swiss German both mornings. She, of course, ate muesli the Swiss way: cut up an apple finely, add a little muesli and mix round with yoghurt. Like the good Dr Bircher-Benner said originally. I'm doing this now and I'm very full. I don't really need a mid-morning snack so I'm discussing with myself whether I need to keep my metabolism revved or whether I need protein to build muscle or what I should do. In the meantime, my tummy remains too large.

(Bit rambly that, I know. I'm on the phone and Rather Over-Tasked).
Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #469  

Michele~he wanted me to stop the supplements because of new studies that link heart disease with calcium supplements. It's better to get the calcium naturally.

I just checked the carton on the icky cottage cheese. It was actually 2% milkfat. The one I like is 1%. I wonder if that is the difference.

Silver~I love muesli and yogurt, but I usually add berries. I'll have to try apples.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #470  
Workin' It

Funny - I was just talking about cortisol to a friend offline and she said 'Hey, that is what they are talking about on 3FC right now.' I've been working like crazy the last few weeks and have been popping in to read but haven't commented, haven't read since last week when I was reading about fodmaps.

So here is where I am. I've been on a great exercise program since 1/8. I've followed the program religiously with two breaks - I was sick for 10 days during Phase One, I missed a week while on the road for work during Phase Two. My strength has increased, I can tell that. My calories have averaged 1850-1900 for this time period, with some higher days and some lower days. My weight is exactly the same and my clothes actually fit worse than when I started. My belly feels huge. I have been bloated and icky for months, I have IBS symptoms. I've been tested several times in the last few years, as recently as lat October, and have no ulcer, celiac or gluten insensitivity, no hpylori misbalance, nothing. I was fussing to my friend about this and she says "I think you are discounting the effects of cortisol." I've been reading all morning and I think she is right. What I don't know is how to fix it. I worry and fret and stress all the time. I made a 47 out of 56 on a perceived stress test. Which makes me stressed. LOL I need to learn how to not worry all the time and see if that helps.

I read Andrea and JayZeeJay's posts and they resonate so strongly in my head. Are we all in about the same place?

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 05-27-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #471  

I'm probably in the same boat, too, Shannon. I'll do some extra reading on it to be sure. But stress is huge for me and I don't foresee it getting better for the next couple of months. This weekend was stress-free and I managed to get over 8 hours of sleep each night. If I woke, I fell back to sleep fairly quickly. And then there was last night. Every work night this happens--I wake around 2 or 3 AM and lie awake worrying about this or that, sometimes falling back to sleep just before my alarm goes off. It totally sucks and makes the rest of the day horrible.

While I admit my exercise hasn't been optimal my diet has been pretty good. But no weight is coming off and that spare tire around my mid section drives me up the wall. I can't wear form fitting shirts at all.

DD thinks I might benefit from IF. She's been doing it, one day on (500 calories) and one day off (unlimited calories) and after a week she was down 5 pounds. Of course she's out of school right now and spends a couple hours at the gym each day (lifting mostly).
Old 05-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #472  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

FWIW, I think that if someone is already stressed, restricting calories too much just adds more stress. The same goes for exercise--too much exercise no longer reduces stress, but just adds to it.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #473  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hey there guys. I think I'm getting ready to join you over here, even though I'm not springing loose "those last few lbs" but instead about 30lbs of baby weight. I'm trying to wean off my one last daytime pump session this week, so next week I will have my lunch break back at work and I will no longer have an excuse to not work out. I told myself this week I would suck it up and not eat any junk food Tues-Thurs, but then already today I broke down and ate an entire bag of trail mix which had M&M's in it.......which was 6 servings of 150 calories apiece.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #474  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Jessica! You'll get back in the groove. I hear you about the trail mix - I have been there, done that too!

I have a good friend who just was diagnosed with hypophysitis - she's actually on cortisol replacement therapy! Hard to imagine; I wish I could donate mine! Currently, I don't think of myself as among the stressed. I finally have a job I really like and I am gradually learning to let stuff go. Unfortunately, the "manana" attitude has oozed into my fat loss project.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #475  
Workin' It

Allison - I've tried IF. It didn't help me a bit. I was doing 2-3 days a week super low with a 24 cycle of no food, the other days as normal. Didn't do anything but make me grouchy.

Jay - I'n beginning to agree with that.

Welcome, Jessica! The trail mix will kill you, man. BTDT myself.

Becky - I wish I could give your friend some of mine.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #476  
in development

Allison, Bircher-Benner recommended grating apple and mixing it all the night before. I haven't done this but may do when I'm back at home. I usually have berries too but the apple could have lots more fibre (hence the full feeling). Will check.

I like to think I'm fairly relaxed but my eating pattern indicates otherwise. I keep moving relaxing things into my life and annoying things out (as much as possible). I'm also delegating where I can. But the fact remains that there's a lot to do which only I can do.

Currently on a week's tour of duty with two people in their late 80s, two houses and gardens and a sick 14 y o. Springboarding from a return business trip to London of a few days and an urgent proposal which materialised to fill the relaxation period I'd allowed.

I know that when my head starts to buzz all is not well. It's a good system and I pay full attention and act on it. It's gone off a few times recently.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #477  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

IBS flare is definitely over now, but weight is parked at 128 since last week.

I'm not sure what I think about the whole stress/cortisol/weight gain issue. It seems to me that we almost define stress in reverse: "that state of mind which leads to negative consequences." If we have exactly the same situation (bad job review, too many demands on our time, fights with spouse, etc) but we maintain inner equanimity, then it's not a stressful situation. If you take that one step further, we sometimes blame external circumstances on negative physical phenomena, whether or not they are in reality related: migraine headaches this week? Must have been the bad job review. IBS flare? Too many things due at the office. Weight up a few pounds? Clearly from the family infighting. I know elevated cortisol is a Real Thing, and it can lead to all kinds of physical badness. Trouble is, so can a lot of other things.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:28 AM   #478  
in development

By early mid-morning I'd got petrol, gone to market in the rain to get a dozen eggs and bought a bedside lamp in a charity shop. Plus quite a lot of talking about logistics. Called into a cafe for a cup of coffee and this is why I'm posting. Did not look at or buy or eat any of the cakes and pastries freshly baked there in front of my eyes. Just said "white coffee, please" and went to a table. Win.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:21 AM   #479  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Kudos, Silverbirch, for enjoying a cafe without falling into their fresh pastries. I used to think that caffeine was the addictive draw to Starbucks, but have shifted to think the coffee is just the entry drug to get one to their scones.

By-the-by, prepare yourself to be SHOCKED. The number one news feed on my computer this morning reported that a Murdoch Aussie newspaper printed a picture of Princess Kate's bottom. Perhaps it's worthy of celebration that there's no news of greater import in the world.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #480  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc
If we have exactly the same situation (bad job review, too many demands on our time, fights with spouse, etc) but we maintain inner equanimity, then it's not a stressful situation.
That seems like it could be right-- but no one gets to equanimity through wishful thinking or internal pep talks. An active meditation practice can get you there, but it means a change in attitude.

As long as someone is doing the same things over and over--working long hours, taking on more than they can handle, running the treadmill of achievement in the eyes of others--they haven't really changed their attitude, and their stress isn't going to be anything else but stress.

Last edited by JayEll; 05-28-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Closed Thread