Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:52 AM   #496  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Birchie I am taking an introductory online course in behavioural genetics. This week's module is on the mapping of the human genome. Each human being has 3.2 billion genes and we all share 99.9% of those genes. The other .01% accounts for a variable of just over 6 million genes.

From what I've seen in a very simplistic model we either have a "regular" gene pattern or we don't. If genes are missing, copied extra times, switched around or mutated we are born with various syndromes or preconditions that can lead to such. It IS getting easier for geneticists to diagnose these syndromes. And, though I'm not finished the course yet, my comprehension so far indicates that it doesn't seem that individuals can do much to affect their genetic profile or the behaviours that result from non-regular genetic patterns.

We are looking at a genetic disorder this week - Prader Willi syndrome - in which individuals can't control how much they eat. This video is about one such individual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZgz_09eLw4

I have been a member of 3FC for 7 years now. I've read all sorts of people's stories and I think a lot of us have disordered patterns of eating/overeating.

Please remember that I am working with a grossly simplified chunk of information - 8 weeks of a course - so don't anyone take this the wrong way. IMO (don't throw those tomatoes) disordered eating is more of a reaction to all sorts of environmental cues like stress, emotional reactions, depictions in the media of "the perfect life", the "perfect body", etc., rather than a result of genetics.

Dagmar
Old 05-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #497  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Dagmar and everyone - I probably wasn't clear in what I said this morning. Was trying to say that, in some cases, despite a genetic predisposition to something, one needn't actually get/suffer from that thing as one can behave in a way that minimises its chances of developing.

Apols if still not clear. On phone which is not conducive to clear expression, don't you know.

Have bodyswerved morning snack (at uncle's and tip) and now off to sports massage. Must watch that I eat enough at lunchtime.

Feeling good about how yesterday worked out.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #498  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Birchie, congrats on dodging those flapjacks and getting through a trying day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Do I understand that you don't eat ANYTHING before 6 pm? Or did I misunderstand your plan??
That is the plan. I sometimes make a social exception to eat lunch, but those are rare. I drink coffee w/NFPM and stevia (I also drink tea but usually black; in either case, I turn off the caffeine in the PM). If I feel like having something salty, I can drink a mug of broth (usu reduced sodium).

I do sometimes allow myself to pop the last bite my daughter leaves behind, but other times it goes to the dog, the birds outside, or I wrap it up and eat it as part of my dinner.

Even eating just once a day, and starting with a fresh veggie course, weight loss is pretty slow and the ride is bumpy. But it's working well for me psychologically and I feel I can maintain this lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
From Martha Washington, circa 1779: "I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition."

<sigh> So, the key to weight loss and generally cortisol-free living is to cultivate resilience and equanimity in the face of adversity. Got it. Couldn't have asked for a more difficult challenge for this perfectionistic, type-A person.
I agree completely and I fail totally at mitigating my stress reaction. DH is a remarkable person. He decided to be a happy person at age 11. He is one of the happiest, if not the happiest, person I've ever met. While that works well for him, it can have repercussions for me. I feel he doesn't worry enough, and I have to pick up the slack. Seriously! My friends and I have discussed this at times: we call it the theory of "conservation of worry" in a marriage. It happens in many domains... from finance and auto service to house cleanliness and childcare issues.

Last edited by yoyoma; 05-29-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #499  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Dagmar and everyone - I probably wasn't clear in what I said this morning. Was trying to say that, in some cases, despite a genetic predisposition to something, one needn't actually get/suffer from that thing as one can behave in a way that minimises its chances of developing.

Apols if still not clear. On phone which is not conducive to clear expression, don't you know.
You were perfectly clear Birchie. I think you were expressing an opinion and so was I, now that I have a tiny bit of knowledge (though biased in one particular direction) about the subject.

Dagmar
Old 05-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #500  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

thanks, Dagmar. #lifeontherun
Old 05-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #501  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Good heavens. That was the #500th post, Silverbirch! Time for a June theme?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #502  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Birchie, Type A and Type B personalities were originally defined in terms of heart attack risk in middle aged men. Here is how they have been described (from Wikipedia entry):

- Type A: Ambitious, rigidly organized, highly status-conscious, sensitive, truthful, impatient, always try to help others, take on more than they can handle, want other people to get to the point, proactive, and obsessed with time management. People with Type A personalities are often high-achieving "workaholics" who multi-task, push themselves with deadlines, and hate both delays and ambivalence.

- Type B: Generally live at a lower stress level and typically work steadily, enjoying achievement but not becoming stressed when they do not achieve. When faced with competition, they do not mind losing and either enjoy the game or back down. They may be creative and enjoy exploring ideas and concepts. They are often reflective, thinking about the outer and inner worlds.

I think social conditioning or the lack thereof plays a big role in how a person acts and reacts. I think Type A behavior is a learned behavior, reinforced from early childhood. Type B is often labeled as "slacker" in our current competition- and achievement-oriented culture. Type Bs could be seen as people who "don't care enough" about "important things" by Type As.

Whether these terms have any real validity in scientific terms isn't clear--but a lot of people see themselves in the descriptions. I'm sure there are more than two types, myself.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #503  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I need to weigh myself. I haven't weighed in a long time. Last time I did I was at 172 I believe so that's probably where I still am (I had been weighing daily but it always came out the same). Yesterday I did okay at eating well during the work day with the exception of one cookie, but then I went to our twins club meeting in the evening and proceeded to eat two cookies and a handful of chocolate pretzels. Oops.

Today will be a challenge too because the lunch I brought from home is pretty minimal (DH made kale soup for dinner last night so I have leftovers), and I've already devoured all the snacks I brought as of 9:30am. I need to remind myself that I have a bag of baby carrots in the office fridge for when I get the munchies.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #504  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Birchie, Type A and Type B personalities were originally defined in terms of heart attack risk in middle aged men. Here is how they have been described (from Wikipedia entry):

- Type A: Ambitious, rigidly organized, highly status-conscious, sensitive, truthful, impatient, always try to help others, take on more than they can handle, want other people to get to the point, proactive, and obsessed with time management. People with Type A personalities are often high-achieving "workaholics" who multi-task, push themselves with deadlines, and hate both delays and ambivalence.

- Type B: Generally live at a lower stress level and typically work steadily, enjoying achievement but not becoming stressed when they do not achieve. When faced with competition, they do not mind losing and either enjoy the game or back down. They may be creative and enjoy exploring ideas and concepts. They are often reflective, thinking about the outer and inner worlds.

I think social conditioning or the lack thereof plays a big role in how a person acts and reacts. I think Type A behavior is a learned behavior, reinforced from early childhood. Type B is often labeled as "slacker" in our current competition- and achievement-oriented culture. Type Bs could be seen as people who "don't care enough" about "important things" by Type As.

Whether these terms have any real validity in scientific terms isn't clear--but a lot of people see themselves in the descriptions. I'm sure there are more than two types, myself.
I am a combination of both types.

Dagmar
Old 05-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #505  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

The initial start is the hardest Jessica. Hang in there.

What type would you all consider yourself? I'm definitely a type A and I think most of us here are, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I was so mad at dh in my dream last night. He is almost bald and uses a shaver to buzz his own hair so he never gets a hair cut. In my dream, he went to SuperCuts to get his bangs trimmed and they charged him $70! Then, he tipped another $10! I was furious and telling him I rarely get my hair cut and I never spend over $35-- I was calling Super Cuts to complain and he didn't want me to. Too funny!
Old 05-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #506  
Workin' It

I am so Type A. And Jay, I agree that a lot of it is probably learned. I don't know that I'm genetically predisposed to be that way, as I look at my grandmother who I am a lot like in many other ways and she is so laid back, yet always in control. She isn't like me at all. My mother on the other hand, is totally who I learned it from.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #507  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
From Martha Washington, circa 1779: "I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition."

<sigh> So, the key to weight loss and generally cortisol-free living is to cultivate resilience and equanimity in the face of adversity. Got it. Couldn't have asked for a more difficult challenge for this perfectionistic, type-A person.
Certainly not an easy challenge. But worth the effort, I think. I used to be a stubborn perfectionist until recently. Circumstances have forced me to change - my previously successful research program is mired in experimental failure that is without end, and the core lab that I am in charge of is suffering from several horrible decisions by upper-level administrators. I am learning that so much of this is out of my control, and to strive for "perfection" is a total farce. I need to own this new reality.

My new theme song is "Let it go" from Frozen.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #508  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've always thought I was more of a Type B but after reading that wiki description I'm more Type A. This morning, while really multi-tasking (which I'm good at but rarely need to do it any longer) I could feel the stress building and imagined my blood pressure rising. That's not good.

One thing that I always say is that things work out in the end. Meaning, I shouldn't stress about it because it'll end up all right. But in reality, I have inner turmoil and conflict that goes against that thought. So basically I'm lying to myself.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #509  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Along with "recovering pantry pest", I consider myself a recovering Type A. What drove my turnaround was thinking about how I want to live the hopefully long next half of my life. My perfectionism and worry was making NO ONE happy or accomplishing a dang thing except for wrecking my mental and physical health and almost my marriage. I've since worked very hard at learning to see perfection in the IMperfections in life and to cut off most of the dialogue in my head. I think I'm better for it.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #510  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I think I'm a mix of Type A and B. I am organized, time sensitive, impatient, stubborn, and an overachiever, but I am NOT a perfectionist or workaholic and I don't take on more than I can handle.
Closed Thread