3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Springing Loose those last few @*lbs@*kgs@*! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/292906-maintainers-springing-loose-those-last-few-%40%2Albs%40%2Akgs%40%2A.html)

ICUwishing 02-21-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverbirch (Post 4947847)
Thanks! I am finding it all quite amazing, actually. I can see three things which are contributing.

a) My perennial problems with my SI joint and just about everything even vaguely related to it seem to be practically under control.

b) My work has changed in nature somehow and I have more brain space to work out plans of attack.

c) The SO and I have somehow managed to change things round so I'm not doing so much of things which drive me up the wall.

Silverbirch, you've given me a lot to think about. While you are focusing with your streak on foods that historically have been issues for you, the other 3 items seem to be removal of "noise". :chin:

Jen, :lol3:

alinnell 02-21-2014 10:14 AM

I have not experienced a weight drop this week. I sure hope next week is better. I was lazy last night and didn't want to cook a healthy meal, so I did a 10 minute non-healthy meal, but with a smaller portion than I usually eat. No spike in weight despite all the extra calories. I won't mention what I made as it came from a box and a can and I'm sure had thousands of grams more salt than I need.

traveling michele 02-21-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverbirch (Post 4947834)
Streaking to 51.

And I did not say, "Yes! Nine pounds through determined effort since the beginning of January. I am on an incredible no butter or peanut butter streak. Don't you think I am fantastic?"

Friends, this is perfectly excellent. I'm keeping this up. Thanks for being here. :grouphug:

This is excellent! I had to laugh because I read it wrong at first and thought you said the above!!

Becky-- you finish the top 6 in the state at your meets?!?! Are you super fast!? I know that I am no longer a fast swimmer. It tires me out tremendously. There is a pool at my gym but it's an indoor pool which I really don't like. Maybe I'll be inspired to get in there and try some laps one of these days. I could never swim the backstroke-- I always went crooked and hit the ropes. Not fast enough at freestyle. I was decent at breaststroke. Guess I would need some good googles too.... hmmmm... food for thought....

Also, I only have bikinis as swimsuits. Is that tacky to wear to the gym to swim laps?? They aren't teeny tiny bikinis...

ICUwishing 02-21-2014 01:27 PM

Michele, no, I've never been a superstar. It's just with Masters swimming, age groups are broken up every 5 years, and depending on where they have the meet, there might only be 6 (or fewer) in the age group swimming. I never qualified for state meets as a kid, except in the occasional relay. With the exception of breaststroke, I'm just one of those all-purpose swimmers who's reasonably competent in everything. I swim because I love the sensation of swimming. If my personality were such that I were internally "driven" to be the best, I probably have the natural ability to go there. It's not that I'm lazy - it's just that I don't want my life to be one-dimensional (same goes for dieting and weight loss!). I've seen plenty of swimmers in the pool with the fitness bikinis - they look really comfortable! For goggles, I have to say that the best pair I've ever had are ones I got as a gift at Christmas - they are the ones in the Hammacher Schlemmer catalog. They fit divinely; whatever the gasket material is, it's heaven. I don't get either a headache or raccoon eyes, and the optics are terrific. I've already swiped the pair my mom gave my son -figured since he's not swimming, he won't miss them. ;)

Allison, not likely that one meal will stall you too much. It'll just make for a more impressive drop when you get it!

I'm back at 153 again after a few days of better behavior. Now if I can string together a few more days ...

silverbirch 02-21-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICUwishing (Post 4948251)
Silverbirch, you've given me a lot to think about. While you are focusing with your streak on foods that historically have been issues for you, the other 3 items seem to be removal of "noise". :chin:

Becky, you're exactly right. I hate "noise", I like space between things and I can't multi-task without getting a headache. I like to concentrate.

I think that's why I'm letting my gymn membership lapse at the end of the month. I want to be able to concentrate on my exercise and there's too much noise going on to be able to. I'm already finding myself much more tired after working out like this at home so I think I'm more effective.

I'm in a less is more phase and I wouldn't mind if it went on for ever. Less exercise for better results. Less food for better digestion and lower weight. Less work for more mental space.

Allison, salt! It'll go away and you'll have a whoosh.

Streaking to 52.

neurodoc 02-22-2014 02:18 AM

Well, insomnia s*cks, but it does have a few advantages, such as finding the time to post on this thread despite a very busy day.

Saef, I too have to keep relearning the maxim that you can't out-exercise bad eating habits, although I must say that I bet neither one of us has truly bad eating, just a "sluggish" metabolism coupled with a few extra handfuls of good-for-you food.

Silverbirch- what is your occupation? And now you've intrigued me with your statement about "doing so much of things that drive you up a wall." What sort of things? And what is allowing you to not do them?

Meanwhile, I am endlessly bouncing between 131 and 133. My food logging is now reliable enough that I can see my maintenance, with exercise is somewhere around 1800. So I eat 1500-1600 cals a few days in a row, drop 1/2 pound of "real" weight, then lose my discipline, get hungry and eat 2000 cals one day (or two) and back it comes. <Sigh>. I can't seem to remember how to eat at a deficit for weeks at a time, the way I did when losing my weight to begin with.

Mudpie 02-22-2014 07:02 AM

I think I have reached the point where I have to give up all the excuses :o for why I'm overindulging in everything. And I have to go back to my no :no: alcohol policy - that's where all the trouble starts. I managed just fine with no booze for 10 years and can do so for the next 20 or how ever many I have left. Drinking alcohol :hat: is a very self-destructive act :barf: for me and I've slipped back into using it to "cure" what ails me.

But it doesn't help. Just like overeating doesn't help. Being healthy helps.

Dagmar :(

silverbirch 02-22-2014 07:24 AM

Caution - lengthy post

Quote:

The SO and I have somehow managed to change things round so I'm not doing so much of things which drive me up the wall.
I suppose what I meant here with “things which drive me up the wall” comes down to planning, shopping for and making the evening meal and lunches at the weekend. There are other things which have to be done which I don’t like but they’re not so pressing so I don’t feel so terrible about them. Some of them I just don’t do (for example, I’m not very good at vacuuming although I am getting a bit better at it lately. The SO is a very good vacuumer, courtesy of his parents, I think.)

We both cook but recently the SO has had more concerted work than me so I’ve been doing all the meals in the week, and he’s been doing them at the weekend. He also eats very much more than me and likes different things. I’ve been flagging at thinking of what to feed him and the DB to keep them going whilst also pleasing me. That lead to misery on my part and the butter/peanut butter thing in the late afternoon as, once again, I had to contemplate this daily conundrum. For his part, he found himself eating food he wasn’t particularly keen on, and probably not enough of it. This wasn’t good on a number of levels, especially because he bikes five miles to work and five miles back in what can be, at this time of year, some fairly hostile weather.

I’ve tended to do most of the shopping, in the past once a week and recently twice a week. This is because I drive and he doesn’t. I also don’t like having groceries delivered because I see the people picking the goods in the store and they are fairly rough and ready, and because the service costs a certain amount (although this is still less than if the SO went to the shops by bus and back).

The new plan is that we sit down on Saturday morning to talk through and write a menu for the week ahead. The SO writes it down. I write the shopping list to ensure we have the things we need. The menu includes at least one large meal which will feed us for two or three meals, and he usually makes this on a Wednesday when he’s working from home.

On Sunday morning, he and I go shopping. (I used to go with the DB but he’s gone off that idea recently.) The SO and I are able to do this as he’s no longer working flat out on Sundays. I also go shopping elsewhere on Wednesday. We both pick up the unusual stuff as we can, when we’re out and about.

The result is that (when it's my turn) I can look at the weekly menu in the morning, take anything required out of the freezer and know what we’re having that night when I come home in the afternoon. It’s quite relaxing, we’re eating a wider range of things and everyone is feeling nourished and loved.

I’ve been an independent research consultant since 1987, after a number of jobs in the public sector. I work across a number of fields. There was plenty of work in the beginning, then it began to tail off following a number of political changes and since 2008 it’s been much more scarce. There are many more people in the market than when I started, following a lot of redundancies over the years.

I’ve recently been able to make a mental shift about my work situation. I decided around 1990 not to take on work with people I don’t like, and I still don’t. This is for my mental health (life’s too short etc) and it cuts out quite a range of stressful situations. Now I do take on those research contracts which come along and fit the bill but I’m also doing much more work across different languages and which are writing jobs. This is terrific, I really enjoy it and new doors are opening. It’s fun and I seem to have more time.

You should know that we have very low outgoings, in the main, and the SO’s work is looking stable at the moment. :crossed:

saef 02-22-2014 08:21 AM

This is what I do: I face a task that daunts me. Either I doubt I'll do it very well, or doubt my ability to do it at all, or I've got to interact with a person and I think they're going to be critical or dismissive of me, or I have to tell someone something that I know will pain them to hear, or it's an interaction that's going to require some strong emotion from me and I'm trying to muster it up.

I try to feint away from it or delay it, yes, escape, though not for good -- I am dutiful, after all. Or I feel so bleak, like life is just a series of unending tasks, that I feel like I need a momentary break, a few minutes of pleasure. I want to stop time, take a breather within a kind of parenthesis.

That's when I wander into the kitchen or try very hard to conjure up something on the Internet that gives me a kind of fix. It can be a moment of mental engagement or delight, like from an interesting article, or a post on this site -- it doesn't have to be physical.

After that, I make myself do or confront what needs to be done.

I'm like a dog who needs her treat BEFORE completing the task.

It feels like procrastination, too.

Oh, and it helps if the thing crunches. Gum was my go-to, but the sorbitol in that stuff plays havoc with my digestive system, so I'm trying to avoid it. This week it was handfuls of plain organic cacao nibs. Which similarly has some laxative effect, but only by virtue of adding a lot of fiber to one's diet, I think -- it's not as gaseous-making as sugarfree gum.

This is what's getting to me lately.

Mudpie 02-22-2014 10:28 AM

a day off

Does anyone else never have a day off - not just from work but from all other things like work - cooking, cleaning, etc.? I tend to find I never seem to get an entire day to just enjoy myself, unless I'm away on vacation in another city.

That has been most stressful in my life lately. There are a lot of other things too but I think that tops the list.

I am kind of taking a day off today in that I'm doing pet care, banking, and a couple of small work emails. Oh and I made the bed as DH is working from home.

I wish I were feeling less hungover (see my earlier post) so I could enjoy the day more. :barf:. I must do this on a monthly basis - take a day for mostly me. Much better than the "alcoholiday". :p

Dagmar :tired:

alinnell 02-22-2014 10:42 AM

Silverbirch~I, too, plan out our meals a week in advance. I try to put out the things needed for that evening's meal but sometimes forget. I like variety and I like a good meal. But lately I don't feel like cooking so much. I think it has to do with the fact that is is just me and DH. I'll go all out on Sunday's meal when my in-laws are here but the rest of the week sometimes we just have a sandwich (however, these are not "just" sandwiches). On occasion, especially if we've gone out for lunch, we have snacks for dinner instead of a real meal. Snacks mean assorted cheeses and meats served on assorted crackers and some fruit (or dried fruit) on the side.

My menu for the week is:
stuffed acorn squash (stuffed with a chicken and grain mixture)
avocado, tomato and mozzarella grilled cheese sandwich (and if we're really hungry I'll add a small bowl of soup or a salad with this)
grilled salmon with salad
buffalo shrimp tacos
southwest chicken corn pudding (probably the "worst" in the eye of the dieter)

And in a couple of hours I'll be doing my weekly grocery trip for everything needed for these meals.

Dagmar~I hear you on the alcohol front. Part of my plan is to abstain from alcohol during the week and have moderate amounts on the weekend. So far it's worked well although I did slide this week and didn't abstain like I should have (but didn't go overboard so no weight gain). I really think my weight gain is due to all the stupid calories in alcohol because I really do eat quite healthy portions of good foods.

traveling michele 02-22-2014 09:29 PM

Dagmar...good luck with the no alcohol! You can join us into the streak free zone. I've lost track on my days without grapes but I think it's been four weeks.

I did well with my food today. I had my Scentsy party today and no one ate any snacks! Glad I didn't really make anything. When they left, I put everything away without eating anything : goldfish, cookies, nuts, m and m's! I'll save everything for dh and if he doesn't want it, I'll put it in the break room at school.

Mudpie 02-23-2014 05:38 AM

Michele Great job with the snax! What is a "Scentsy party" please? I don't really want to google it as I'm sure 20 ads will follow.

Thanks!
Dagmar :dizzy:

traveling michele 02-23-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudpie (Post 4949443)
Michele Great job with the snax! What is a "Scentsy party" please? I don't really want to google it as I'm sure 20 ads will follow.

Thanks!
Dagmar :dizzy:

Scentsy is a company that sells decorative wax warmers with amazing scents. It's like having wonderful smelling candles without the flame. You plug them in. I love the products so I signed up to sell them. If you're interested, pm me and I'll send you my website so you can see the products.

alinnell 02-23-2014 11:18 AM

I had a good day with food apparently as I weighed in a little less this morning!

We're off to see Book of Mormon today. That'll entail several hours in the car, so not much exercise today--just a lot of sitting.