Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My heart is sad.

You all know the trials and tribulations we've been going through with Chico. We have good days and bad days and just when we think the bad is as bad as it can get he springs back and has numerous good days in a row. We're currently on a good day streak (thus not mentioning much lately).

Well, last night a good friend posted on FB that they had put down their aging Golden Retriever yesterday. And this morning a friend from my Lab Chat board said she had put down her dog who had been suffering from liver disease after eating tainted dog food 20 months ago. Her dog and mine have been sick almost the same amount of time. Also another friend from the Lab board had to put down her lab after a very short, but bad, illness.

It just makes me wonder when my time to post this bad news will be.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm sorry you are sad Allison. Yes, your time is coming unfortunately but it isn't yet. Give your fur baby some extra hugs and kisses. I worry about my Jozi too. The average life span for a Great Dane is 8-10 and she just turned 10. She has started wanting extra kisses and pets in the morning before breakfast-- she won't start eating until I give them too her. While I think it's sweet, I really think it's because she doesn't feel all that much like eating and needs the encouragement.

Jen-- that's amazing! Love it!!!!Not too many people can say they've made a huge difference in people's lives due to their work (your job) and personally (encouraging others due to your weight loss). Give yourself a big pat on the back!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Allison, that's the hard part of owning pets - they always seem to leave us too soon. From what I have seen you have given Chico an outstanding life. He is happy and is doing well now - please just revel in that.

His time will come and when it does, you will know that he was a beloved family member who brought joy into your life.

My DH is still not recovered from the loss of our cat before Xmas and now our oldest cat - who he found SEALED in a cardboard box thrown in a field near our house as a impossibly tiny kitten years ago - is starting to fail. I tell him that this is just the circle of life and when he does pass on, it will open our homes to another kitten who needs a loving home!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I believe I was watching it snow on New York state all the time I was out dogwalking today. Big puffy grey clouds with snow streaming out of them. We had beautiful clear skies and sun - but it was bl**dy cold. Kinda weird and schizoid but really amazing at the same time.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #35  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
I believe I was watching it snow on New York state all the time I was out dogwalking today. Big puffy grey clouds with snow streaming out of them. We had beautiful clear skies and sun - but it was bl**dy cold. Kinda weird and schizoid but really amazing at the same time.

Dagmar
If it's clear at night, maybe you can see the northern lights. I read it's a good year for them. I'm so impressed you actually went outside and walked your dog in the Weather!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #36  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Dagmar, you'd better tell Mars all about it!

Interesting weather observation. I'm doing a clouds project (name that cloud and what it does) at the moment.

Mars, I'd heard that about the Aurora as well. We're slightly too far south here.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Mars I walk dogs for a living - I'm a commercial dogwalker. I'm out there from 8 a.m. to around 3:30 p.m. every day, walking small groups of dogs.

BTW we also saw a halo of huge proportions around the sun this afternoon. An interesting but kinda spooky weird weather day.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post

Jen-- that's amazing! Love it!!!!Not too many people can say they've made a huge difference in people's lives due to their work (your job) and personally (encouraging others due to your weight loss). Give yourself a big pat on the back!
Thanks Michele! I have to admit - while I think I'm pretty good at my job, it's a whole other thing to lecture a group of professionals! And to have them ask me questions related to my opinion on things and how to improve systems? It was a little surreal...

Unlike the last artic blast, we have been spared the snowfall. So looking out the window it looks gorgeous - you could almost believe it was spring! -37 at our house this morning! The HIGH today was -2.

Dagmar I thought about you all day. I seriously don't know how you do it!!!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #39  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Mars I walk dogs for a living - I'm a commercial dogwalker. I'm out there from 8 a.m. to around 3:30 p.m. every day, walking small groups of dogs.

BTW we also saw a halo of huge proportions around the sun this afternoon. An interesting but kinda spooky weird weather day.

Dagmar
Well then I'm really impressed!!! What great exercise. We're having eerie weather too--record drought. Easier to dress for than what you're having but unsettling nevertheless.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:44 AM   #40  

Good luck Chico!
Hope you're all surviving the cold OK. Here in Denver it hit 63 degrees a couple days ago when the big winter storm hit the Northeast. But we have our share of cold at other times.
I'm doing OK losing weight again. Don't know why I was able to get back on the wagon after a big weight gain in December. But right at the New Year I just stopped overeating. I'm temporarily back in dieting mode and look forward to the relatively relaxed mazintenance realm in a couple months.
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:15 AM   #41  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

It's been mild, wet and windy here so far this winter. Lots of floods and some people are thinking of growing webbed feet. Forecast today is 4C-5C, 39F-41F.

Allison, it's a hard time.

Last edited by silverbirch; 01-23-2014 at 01:17 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #42  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

from me too, Allison. I don't think it would have been possible for him to have more love or a better life.

Chris, I've been wondering how you're doing! How are you doing with figuring out what dream to fulfill next, after the wedding chapel business?

All I can say about our winter is that I've been having college flashbacks from my years at Michigan Tech - recently voted #1 snowiest college in the country. It's been deep and it's been cold, with far less of the "normal" breaks of nice weather. I was looking at my credit card the other day and thinking about heading to the airport. Escapism fantasies ...
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #43  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,
I'm happy to see the pre-holiday weight again on the scale today. I've once again confirmed for myself after going to yoga twice this week that the Wed class/instructor is the best. The Mon/Th class is in a better location driving-wise but it's worth a few extra miles. It's chilly and tonight we have another hard freeze, which I only mention bc of the PITA of cracking the faucets on not only our home but BF will have to make the rounds yet again for some out-of-towners. Did I mention that for our last freeze 2 weeks ago a pipe in our house actually froze, despite cracking the faucets? Luckily it didn't burst and BF got it thawed out, before we made his neighborhood rounds thawing out everyone else's pipes too, but we had a few burst at work (again, despite running faucets). Silly FL builders. I hope we don't get anymore cold-stunned sea turtles.

I made chicken tortilla soup (minus tortillas - so maybe it was more of a chicken southwest soup) last night, froze several jars for future lunches, and we have a big batch in the fridge for lunches and dinners to come. I plan to take the dog for a wog tonight, and then eat leftovers and spend the night doing course work. Tomorrow I have to go to my city office for work and often get home late from that, so I want to get ahead.

Silver, it's been unusually wet here, too, and I live on a dirt(mud) road. Add me to the webbed feet list. I wish I could teach the dog to wipe her paws...

Chris, even though I would be the first to tell you it's hard for me to let my body "eat intuitively" whatever that means - I will always try to get extra BLTs - somehow after the holidays I have no trouble swinging back to healthier eating. It's a reflex after all of the junk and overindulgence for the holiday season, and after lots of travels I get home and get in my own kitchen and can be "normal" again. Maybe we can trust our bodies a little bit to know what they need.

Dagmar, your dog-walking view sounds lovely and surreal.

Jen, glad your lecture went so well! It's nice to get some respect. Sorry your cat isn't doing well.

Allison . Did Chico eat his chicken today?

Stay warm everyone.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #44  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Jen, glad your lecture went well!

Allison & Michele, sending good thoughts to Chico and Jozi.

We had an incident with Carter and baby A this morning (don't worry, nobody was hurt!). I feel responsible because I was watching C and didn't notice what was going on with Carter and A so I don't know exactly what happened. As far as I can tell he came over to sniff her and maybe lick her (her hair was slicked into a cowlick afterward) and she probably flailed her arm at him or grabbed at him, and he barked and she started crying. I don't think he snapped, and he definitely didn't bite, but still. We told him no and chased him off but I feel like that's probably not the best way to teach him anything. A while back I contacted a local animal behavior group for advice and they recommended going to our vet as the first step but I never got around to making an appointment. DH is convinced that the only thing the vet will say is that we should give Carter away but I think DH is being ridiculous and that the vet will at least refer us to a behaviorist first, or possibly even try doggie anxiety medication. It makes me really sad when DH says things like that because I feel like he's angry at Carter all the time and like he wants to get rid of him, even though he says that's not true.

Really Carter needs to learn that if he doesn't want the babies touching him he should just walk away. They can't follow him. They can't chase him. They can only touch him if he comes close enough. So if he doesn't want them to touch him, why doesn't he just walk away? I don't understand and I'm not sure how to teach him that. I think we are going to have to just start gating the babies in a separate room where he can't get to them if we can't resolve this. Unfortunately with two infants DH and I honestly do not have the time or energy for any intensive training with Carter so separation is the best we can do right now.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #45  

Hi all,

Megan I have the same ambivalence about listening to my body. I try to listen to what it needs, not necessarily what it craves. Not to be too authoritarian and self-denying but not too indulgent of my love of chocolate either. But I will say that after December's indulgences, it's easier this year at least to listen to what my body needs, because it really needs a break from the indulgences!

ICU wishing, I've been a little afraid to admit to my maintenance community what we are doing next. I'm still performing weddings, funerals, baptisms at other locations now that we sold our chapel. We also bought two condos to use as rental property. That still left a gap, so our new venture will be (gulp) Choctoberfest Colorado. If all goes as planned, on October 17-18 we're renting out the grand ballroom at the Marriott in southeast Denver Tech Center area and having 80-100 chocolate booths and thousands of people to come by and sample chocolates!

I actually asked myself, will this mean me blowing my maintenance plan completely? Not at all. In fact, I will be the guy who does most of the announcements and maybe even some presentations (I've been a professional classical radio announcer since the late 1970s). So if I'm standing up at a Chocolate Festival in front of thousands of people, my goal is to be the very model of a guy who can be slender, handsome, clear-skinned and healthy whille still enjoying chocolate. I notice too that most of the true chocolatiers (here in Colorado at least) are amazingly slender! Plus not one of them has offered me a free sample of their products.

It's a very scary time, lots of stress as money flies out the window and not enough $$ is coming in. Somehow the stress is not seeming to drive me to overindulge tho. Can't figure out why this is working this year. Last year we worried like crazy as our chapel was going under. Now it's gone, over, kaput, and we worry even more that our new venture may fail. But it's a different kind of stress. Last year I had huge problems with self-control, this year it's easier again in spite of everything.
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote