Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #376  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
Alinnell: dog shopping!! The very best shopping in the world.

We are moving this weekend, and the stress of that on top of the sick/dying kitty was really getting to me yesterday. I was trapped at work, as one of the few people who was there (why does everyone take vacation day on the same day??). I really wanted to leave to work on packing, and be with Tinker, but I had three peoples' work to do.

My unfortunate coping mechanism: one coworker keeps a GIANT bowl of cheap candy on her desk. I'm never tempted by it usually, it's total kids' stuff like skittles, jellybeans, etc. but yesterday I took some candy nearly everytime I passed it. It made me angrier with myself everytime but I kept doing it.

Sigh... Today there will be no more of that. I WILL get in a morning run then pack like a mad woman.
Good luck with the move!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #377  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good luck with the move, JayZee. And good wishes for your kitty.

I contacted my adoption coordinator to see if I needed to fill out another application. She said it wasn't really necessary unless things have changed. Well the only thing that changed was the dogs, so I filled out another just in case. I didn't have to pay the fee, however. The dog I'm looking at is new to the rescue and so far isn't in foster care so it gives me a greater opportunity to get him. I may know something this weekend.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #378  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Good luck with the move, JayZee. And good wishes for your kitty.

I contacted my adoption coordinator to see if I needed to fill out another application. She said it wasn't really necessary unless things have changed. Well the only thing that changed was the dogs, so I filled out another just in case. I didn't have to pay the fee, however. The dog I'm looking at is new to the rescue and so far isn't in foster care so it gives me a greater opportunity to get him. I may know something this weekend.
What kind of dog are you looking at ? No one hit pay dirt the way my neighbor did,We would often talk about dogs as we were both looking, One day she squeals I 've got a dog,I wanted details of course. This is what she got, a pure bred French Poodle and he is a beauty all white, and she got him free !!!!How do you get a pure bred French Poodle free ? The owner of this dog raises show dogs and this particular dog is is one inch too tall to be shown in the ring,am I jealous? well a little bit.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #379  

You can often get a retired dog from a breeder for free, too. Although I don't know any breeders well enough to do that. I'm looking at a Lab or perhaps Lab mix. He's 18 months old and fairly new to the same rescue that I got Misty from. And rescue dogs are not free. They cost $350 from this rescue. All the money goes back into the rescue to pay for boarding/food/medical costs for other dogs.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #380  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
You can often get a retired dog from a breeder for free, too. Although I don't know any breeders well enough to do that. I'm looking at a Lab or perhaps Lab mix. He's 18 months old and fairly new to the same rescue that I got Misty from. And rescue dogs are not free. They cost $350 from this rescue. All the money goes back into the rescue to pay for boarding/food/medical costs for other dogs.
Northern Ca has a fee for rescue dog as well, It bis only right in my opinion.I like to think this little boy is thinking, they need someone to love and I"m it,
Good luck.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #381  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

No butter or peanut butter on Saturday or Sunday or Monday. Streak is 34. I'm very pleased with this.

On Saturday high tide was very high indeed, combined with very strong winds. I had to go out with the DB to get new school shoes. We managed this and decided to go for fish and chips (I planned just a piece of fish) but the shop was closed for a refurb. The weather was awful and we'd already been diverted because of floods so we ended up in a perfectly pleasant fish and chip and ice-cream place on the front in a small seaside town. The sea was very high and very lumpy just outside and I decided to have fish, chips and peas. It wasn't very nice and I only ate half of a perfectly reasonable portion.

The next part of the story I've heard from so many of you so many times. On Sunday my weight was up and it was up this morning too. Interesting. I haven't seen that happen very often because I hardly ever eat out.

Tonight I had to rush out to a meeting. I was exhausted before I went (hard gymn session this morning) and I ate before I went (to keep going) and now I've come in. My tummy feels so much fuller than normal.

So what are the bets on my weight in the morning? Who knows? It could be up and up and up. It could be freakily down. What I do know is that I shan't be eating at that restaurant again.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #382  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

We started our move at 7:30 yesterday morning. It started pouring about 7:35 and it rained for the next seven hours. There were several unfortunate rain casualties, including a quilted and upholstered headboard that took me months to make, as well as a vase that my mom brought me from Florence. It fell out the side of a soaked cardboard box that rolled off the cart onto a rock. We were soaking wet all day and most of the night.

On the plus side, CA is desperate for rain.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #383  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
We started our move at 7:30 yesterday morning. It started pouring about 7:35 and it rained for the next seven hours. There were several unfortunate rain casualties, including a quilted and upholstered headboard that took me months to make, as well as a vase that my mom brought me from Florence. It fell out the side of a soaked cardboard box that rolled off the cart onto a rock. We were soaking wet all day and most of the night.

On the plus side, CA is desperate for rain.
We surely need the rain, but talk about Murphy's Law...It's a shame about the casualties. Hope you are enjoying getting settled in to your new place.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #384  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

PMS bloat. Grouch. 'Nuff said. I will be in a much better mood in a few days; in the meantime, I'm going to lie low and NOT eat the 10oz bag of Ghiridelli dark chocolate chips in the pantry. As long as the bag is unopened, it is safe.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #385  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Yep, the weight piled right back on, now that I am home and working again. Back up to 150.4, after being as low as 148.8 on the morning after driving back from my mother's.

Consequently I'm in a low mood.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #386  

My Sunday off plan is still sticking to me. Ugh. Perfect yesterday so I thought all was well, but apparently not.

Yes, we certainly do need rain here. Golf courses are scaling back on watering already as our desert aquifer is in peril. They say we're in year 14 of a drought here, although just a few years back we had a really rainy winter and filled some reservoirs back up. I'm so afraid of what this year's fire season will be like.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #387  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Alinnell: any update in dog news??

I've lost my scale in the moving madness, so on the bright side I can't be depressed by my weight!
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #388  

Quote:
Alinnell: any update in dog news??

I've lost my scale in the moving madness, so on the bright side I can't be depressed by my weight!
Not really. I spoke to someone from the rescue on #1 choice Duke. He is about 18 months old, not leash trained, a counter surfer and kind of wild but likes to play with other dogs including chihuahuas so perhaps he'd be okay with cats. Then she told me about #2 choice, Cham, who is 5 years old and was raised with cats. My adoption coordinator will try to get me to see both this week but this morning she is out sick, so I don't know what will happen.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #389  

Need to start over on the no snacking streak. Depressing.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #390  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

allison, good luck with the dog search! I can relate to wanting another dogso soon; when our first bunny died I thought I would never want another one. I was a mess of tears. But in a week, I realized how much having a rabbit in the house made life better ... and once I discovered that there are bunny rescues, well, we came home with two!

JayZeeJay, misplacing a scale can't be a bad thing. Whatever it wants to tell you will wait.

saef, I hope your vacation refreshed you, in spite of the scale!

silverbirch, sorry you had to join us in the world of temporary bloat. Treat it as a curiosity and the body doing what it feels it must in order to keep you safe from whatever awful stuff you ate.

PMS bloat is off ... leaving just the same extra pounds. Today I feel up to the fight. I'm trying to be more aware of my low moods; I was never much for PMS, but it is becoming very clear that for the 3 days before TOM, I am really prone to negative head talk. So now I need to figure out if the bloat is hormonal, or if it's merely eating crap I shouldn't eat because I don't give a ...
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote