3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Winning the Battle of the Bulge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/290659-maintainers-winning-battle-bulge.html)

traveling michele 01-08-2014 12:38 PM

I want to voice my displeasure with some food manufacturers and their deceptive labeling-- in particular Orowheat. I wanted to change up my lunches so thought I would try tunafish (I had been eating salads everyday). I studied all of my bread options closely and settled on a Pita Pocket. I quite enjoyed them and was happy with my choice until I went to pack today's lunch and looked again at the label. It is 100 calories for half a small pita. I was eating two halves so 200 calories just for my bread! I never would have bought it. I find this type of advertising misleading. Trader Joes also does it with some of their ready to eat salads. Most are 1 serving but there are a few that trickily are two. I think they put that they are two servings on the label just because label readers wouldn't buy a salad with 500 calories, but they will buy one with 250. Grrrrr..... Back to the drawing board. I brought a wrap today instead that is 60 calories for the whole wrap!

We've talked before about not realizing how many calories we eat for various reasons and I wonder how often this type of thing is the culprit?

Saef-- You'll be down quickly. If I recall, it was an evening appointment and you always weigh more in the evening than the morning-- not to mention the extra clothes! Did you check to see if the recommended doctor is in your network?

Shannon in ATL 01-08-2014 01:33 PM

Michele - try FlatOut wraps.

silverbirch 01-08-2014 02:32 PM

No butter or peanut butter on Tuesday. No cakes, biscuits or pastries. Streak is 7.

New battery in the scales = horrifying figure on the display. Not 'Lo', not at all. I'm telling myself that I'm doing harder and more regular workouts all of a sudden. I'm re-establishing excellent eating habits (and a temporary side-effect is a little bit of bonkers, off-piste eating). I'm keeping going.

Quote:

Neatening up and sharpening generally good habits and choices.
Thanks, saef. That's what I'm doing too but I think that my eating has become a bit blowsy rather than ragged. (Get rid of that doctor of yours as soon as you can, won't you?)

Saw my trainer this morning and he worked hard on my feet which had become rather tense and knotted over the last six weeks, with associated aches and pains in the lower body. We discussed it and decided that the probable culprits were hard concrete pavements in London and/or a new pair of boots. I'd put a pair of heel supports in the boots as a temporary measure as my feet hurt so much but they aren't going to be any good long term so I'll take them out and see where I get. Lots more ankle-twirling in my future, I think.

I like nutritional info per 100g better than serving sizes.

Mudpie 01-08-2014 03:37 PM

I always check the label carefully now. I once bought a CASE of what I thought was super healthy carrot/veggie juice, and to find that its was 130 cals per 3/4 cup, rather than per 750 ml. bottle.

We Canadians enjoy having both metric and imperial, and French and English, on our labels. We are very well-read :lol3:. The cereal box alone can take up an entire breakfast's worth of time.

My beef is that the servings never come out even. There aren't 3 servings in a box - there are 2 and 5/8. We also do a lot of arithmetic here. :rofl:

Dagmar :dizzy:

silverbirch 01-08-2014 04:41 PM

Impressive, Dagmar. I like the sound of your country.

CherryPie99 01-08-2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL (Post 4914399)
Michele - try FlatOut wraps.

Or LaTortilla Factory makes a 90 calorie wrap which is DELICIOUS! (and big LOL)

Mudpie 01-09-2014 05:19 AM

I reminded myself this morning why I don't weight more than 2X per week. :stress:

|Yesterday I was 138.8 lbs. This morning I am 137.6 lbs. :woohoo: right?

Except I ate close to 1600 cals yesterday and I know I didn't expend around 4000 cals (if we accept that 1 lb. is 3500 cals). So, even though the weight today is :goodscale: it is not accurate.

I am going to step on the scale every day until and including next Monday, just to give myself an added push in a downward direction. But the actual numbers will not "make or break" me. Too many other variables.

Dagmar :coolsnow:

silverbirch 01-09-2014 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudpie (Post 4914863)
the actual numbers will not "make or break" me. Too many other variables.

Oh I do so agree!

No butter or peanut butter on Tuesday. No cakes, biscuits or pastries. Streak is 8.

Just back from the gymn. Rowing (how I love it!) and stretching. I can feel my trainer's work yesterday in my left foot so I'm hopeful that everything will get back to its correct place and stop jamming up.

ICUwishing 01-09-2014 09:18 AM

Michele, I think your idea about calorie miscounting is spot-on. Information on a label is a great thing, but not when the facts are manipulated. I am starting to wonder, too, exactly who gets to make the determination about what a serving size actually is; I have run across a few foods where a stated single serving is obscenely small. Example - a prepared coleslaw where 1 serving was 1/4 cup. Seriously???

silverbirch - thumbs up on 8 days! I am glad you have someone who can help your sore feet.

Dagmar, I love the idea of bilingual labels - just getting familiar with how other languages look is still a step toward cognizance that the world is a pretty big place. Imperial measurement, though, needs to go the way of the dodo. I saw a map recently that shows which countries are still on the English system - it's rather embarassing. Why are you so sure that today's measurement is wrong? ;) It could have been that yesterday's was unusually low. That's why I try to weigh every day - just to get a sense of the variation. I forgot to mention I love your suggestion for February's thread title. :D

saef, you nailed it with the "neatening up and sharpening." That's exactly where I need to put my head for the rest of this winter.

I am going back to logging and tracking my weekly weight averages. I am solidly in the mid 150's and I don't like it here at all. :(

saef 01-09-2014 10:04 AM

My gym's manager was getting her resume in order and asked me to look over it, as she's not comfortable with writing and business matters. I reworked some of it for her and explained why. In return, this morning she spent a couple minutes with me talking about lunges -- which I have never done, not having a "leg day" in my training routine -- and showing me the leg press machine. I'm amazed how this perked up my interest in gym-going.

Now the issue will be getting over a psychological hump. That is, changing up my routine. Let me name my fear here, which will perhaps rob it of some of its power: That change will result in loss & deterioration & regrets, rather than improvement. That I will somehow lose what was hard-won. Changing my routine will not mean that I'll regress or lose the benefit of what I was doing, right? And it may help me with running, which has been difficult for me.

And I do want to change my routine, not simply add more & more. I know the answer is not adding more hours per week, which I don't want to do & can't afford to do.

I'm supposed to be so good at change, at work. "Who Moved My Cheese?" & all of that s&^%t. So I hope I can be that way with this, too.

traveling michele 01-09-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryPie99 (Post 4914692)
Or LaTortilla Factory makes a 90 calorie wrap which is DELICIOUS! (and big LOL)

Yes, I've had this one too-- yummy!

Saef-- lunges and squats are excellent in my opinion... Squats are all the rage in getting a nice looking booty. Does your gym offer a class like body pump? I take it sometimes-- it is an hour of lifting weights to music-- you work everything from chest to back to biceps to legs....

Shannon in ATL 01-09-2014 10:53 AM

I've now done the first two of my workouts in my plan, plus the assessment. Yesterday was a no workout day, I'm supposed to do something fun and active on those days - some days I'll run, yesterday I took down half of the yard decorations, ran up and down the stairs doing six loads of laundry, brought in our new wine cooler and set it up, other misc activities. None of those were what I would actually call 'fun', but they were active. Well, the wine chiller will be fun. That is good. :)

CherryPie99 01-09-2014 02:21 PM

saef - I HATE HATE HATE leg days (I do have one once per week). Squats and lunges are the DEVIL'S work :dizzy:

That being said, they are MUCH more functional fitness then most arm and other upper body exercises. They engage your core more which is a good thing. AND - when I first started reading your message I was going to point out, but you already hit on it - if you are looking to improve your running, lunges and squats will DEFINITELY do that.

silverbirch - I am attributing my weight being up directly to my love of peanut butter. I don't know HOW you are living without it!!

Jen

bargoo 01-09-2014 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=traveling michele;4914356]I want to voice my displeasure with some food manufacturers and their deceptive labeling-- in particular Orowheat. I wanted to change up my lunches so thought I would try tunafish (I had been eating salads everyday). I studied all of my bread options closely and settled on a Pita Pocket. I quite enjoyed them and was happy with my choice until I went to pack today's lunch and looked again at the label. It is 100 calories for half a small pita. I was eating two halves so 200 calories just for my bread! I never would have bought it. I find this type of advertising misleading. Trader Joes also does it with some of their ready to eat salads. Most are 1 serving but there are a few that trickily are two. I think they put that they are two servings on the label just because label readers wouldn't buy a salad with 500 calories, but they will buy one with 250. Grrrrr..... Back to the drawing board. I brought a wrap today instead that is 60 calories for the whole wrap!

We've talked before about not realizing how many calories we eat for various reasons and I wonder how often this type of thing is the culprit?

Saef-- You'll be down quickly. If I recall, it was an evening appointment and you always weigh more in the evening than the morning-- not to mention the extra clothes! Did you check to see if the recommended doctor is in your network?[/

I love Oroweat Bread it is my favorite

Mudpie 01-09-2014 07:17 PM

Lunges completely changed my butt. I would do "walking lunges" in the park when taking out my 2 old codgers and I (and DH - the *ss man) could see a visible difference in 3 weeks!

Dagmar :dizzy: