3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Winning the Battle of the Bulge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/290659-maintainers-winning-battle-bulge.html)

ICUwishing 01-06-2014 03:18 PM

Getting some good interval training today, LOL. The snow on the driveway is taller than the output chute of our medium-sized snowblower. It's taking a long time to move; I'm only about 2/3 of the way through the top part, and still have 150' of driveway to clear so I can go to work tomorrow. Two good things - I have an ankle-length LLBean down coat that even this wind can't blow through, and my all-time favorite Christmas gift EVER: rechargeable heated mittens. :D

neurodoc 01-06-2014 10:21 PM

I too got a little exercise today (and yesterday) by shoveling snow. We have gotten about 18 inches in the last 36 hours, with a bit more slated for later tonight. It's amazing how much hard work it is to pick up a shovel-full of snow 200 times.

Kids are getting 2 bonus snow days tacked onto their winter break, and they even closed Michigan State U. today (my workplace) so I got one too :>) Would be more exciting if it weren't currently -10F. Dagmar, how do you get your dogs to poop outside when it's this cold out? Mine doesn't want to stay outside long enough to "go."

Mudpie 01-07-2014 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neurodoc (Post 4912974)
I too got a little exercise today (and yesterday) by shoveling snow. We have gotten about 18 inches in the last 36 hours, with a bit more slated for later tonight. It's amazing how much hard work it is to pick up a shovel-full of snow 200 times.

Kids are getting 2 bonus snow days tacked onto their winter break, and they even closed Michigan State U. today (my workplace) so I got one too :>) Would be more exciting if it weren't currently -10F. Dagmar, how do you get your dogs to poop outside when it's this cold out? Mine doesn't want to stay outside long enough to "go."

My guys all love the weather and they have no problem being outside. I'm having to use all sorts of strategies to keep them all out of the lake!

For your dog Andrea I would shut the door and watch the dog until he/she goes and then offer a small treat reward and let the dog back in. Gradually wean off the treat by offering it at random times and then just use praise. There's also more chance of the dog "going" if you consistently feed it at the same times and then let it out about 30 minutes after that.

Dagmar :dizzy:

silverbirch 01-07-2014 09:25 AM

No butter or peanut butter on Monday. Streak is 6.

I’m thinking about adding no cakes, biscuits (cookies) or pastries. They don’t play a large part in my life so it would be possible fairly easily. And having taken the decision once would take away any faint possibility when waiting in a queue somewhere. I’m very keen on streamlining and automating things at the moment. I don’t have enough brain cells to go squandering them on unnecessary footling about.

OK. That’s what I’ll do. No cakes, biscuits (cookies) or pastries.

Gymn today – just a little recreational rowing plus a little stretching.

Keep shovelling that snow, everyone. You’re doing well!

Allison, I’m thinking of you and your sister and all your family. :hug:

ICUwishing 01-07-2014 09:43 AM

DH and I made the trip to work today, leaving DH to enjoy his last day of sleeping in. His geometry teacher emailed a 13-page packet of review materials yesterday which was of course not at all appreciated. ;)

Pools are shut down with the schools that house them; it appears it will be Wednesday before I am able to get back in. I saw a scale number that was quite horrifying this morning. I'll call it a blip and a reminder to be vigilant with the foodstuffs ... it's time to embrace the routine again.

alinnell 01-07-2014 10:50 AM

I'm (finally) on my last day of leftovers for lunch. I think leftovers, that are typically higher in calories than my diet entree lunches, are one of the main problems with my weight gain this time of year.

Shannon in ATL 01-07-2014 12:22 PM

I think I need to throw away the upwards of 6 pounds of candy that I still have in my house.

I'm having a hard time with the positive points about myself that I'm supposed to be making in my awesome journal. I've been working on the question 'what do you like about your appearance' for three days.

We just bought a load of on sale furniture for the downstairs, putting in a lot of things we have put off for years. Sofa and loveseat, coffee and side table, wine chiller, sideboard, shelves to scatter around. We are building a bar in the dining room, putting in shelves to display curios, hanging small floating shelves around for knickkacks that have been put away for years, putting in a lot of led candles that run on timer to come on every day. We want to make our home more complete and peaceful, and I hope that will help with the positive speak. :)

High five on day 6, Birchie!

silverbirch 01-07-2014 12:48 PM

Thanks, Shannon!

6lbs of candy? Unless you get rid of it you won't have room for all that new furniture.

Re. awesome appearance: I like my hair and skin. I've just started noticing my hands again. They are developing very fine wrinkles which go away when I clench my fists. I think they look amazing.

Allison, that's a very interesting point about leftovers. Almost all of ours are sent to work with the SO who seems to need huge amounts of food.

Becky, safe journey home! Sorry about your personal horror ... which reminds me to investigate the battery in my scales. It said 'Lo' yesterday morning which cannot have been a comment on my weight. Thanks, I'll go and do it now.

Mudpie 01-07-2014 06:05 PM

Shannon Maybe you could try substituting "nice" or "good" for "awesome".

I have nice shiny hair, good muscle definition in my arms and legs, a nice butt (according to DH :lol:), and good strong hands.

Birchie I too have tiny wrinkles on my hands that disappear when I clench my fists. Too bad I can't do a similar thing with my face. :rofl:

Dagmar :dizzy:

Mudpie 01-08-2014 05:31 AM

First post-holiday weigh in, along with the live-in and extreme cold weather eating :lol3: and it's about as bad :yikes: as I thought.

138.8 lbs.

I guess there's some advantage to social isolation - less eating. :dizzy:

Time to start seeing these :goodscale|: again. First step is to throw away the little bits of candy that are left and the cashew butter and handful of nuts/dried fruit. Late afternoon snack will now be mint tea and a bit of cottage cheese or rinsed tuna.

DH will now be preparing dinner about 3 nights a week. Don't know how I'll sidestep that but I'll figure it out.

Dagmar :sumo:

BillBlueEyes 01-08-2014 05:51 AM

Loving the thought that 'Lo' on silverbirch's scale is a comment on her weight. Reminds me that I once lost two pounds by putting a fresh battery in my scale. As you, no doubt, have immediately guessed, it cost me a few batteries to learn that that only works once, LOL. I thought I had found the magic solution.

We're surviving the Polar Vortex. The warm days and rain just before removed much of the snow so maneuvering, walking, and parking aren't the big issues they can be.

Mudpie 01-08-2014 09:30 AM

For February's thread can we incorporate "love handles" somehow? You know, for Valentine's :love:

Dagmar :p

ICUwishing 01-08-2014 09:42 AM

I joined a challenge at work that runs until March 9. Most of the challenge just involves remembering to track, but I will need to log my steps and minutes of exercise. I can also set a weight goal if I choose. It's not a bad system; at least it forces some awareness. :) I am going to shoot for 150, I think.

This is supposed to be the last day of the cold blast. It was -11 at 5:30am and it's already above 0. I'm working from home today to "supervise" DS prepping to go back to school tomorrow (planner, assignments, etc), and because the commute is still so messy it's just not worth the stress. Most of my department is doing the same thing. Of course, that means way too many opportunities to, uh ... to be GOOD with the meals and snacking. :angel:

traveling michele 01-08-2014 10:22 AM

Yes, Birchie-- I loved your scale's comment too!

Becky-- I may be joining a challenge online but I haven't gotten all the details yet. Anything to keep us accountable!

My scale was rude this morning but I know it's a combination of zero exercise yesterday (took Jozi to the vet) and dd talking me into Chipotle for dinner. Though I choose very wisely there-- no rice-- bowl not burrito-- no cheese, guacamole or sour cream-- I know the sodium is sky high. My rings are super tight today!!

saef 01-08-2014 11:25 AM

My doctor's scale said I was 160. I'm always four to five pounds higher on his scale than on mine at home, even without wearing winter-weight clothing during a cold snap, but this was a big shock.

I'm guessing a gain from this past weekend of working resentfully on my laptop and snacking, and so I'm hoping for something more like 153 this Friday when I step on the scale again -- which will have wiped out all of my work in November.

I need to shake off my fatigue with long-term restriction and think of ways to make my eating less ragged around the edges. That's what I think of it as: A neatening up & sharpening of generally good habits & choices.