3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Winning the Battle of the Bulge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/290659-maintainers-winning-battle-bulge.html)

BillBlueEyes 01-01-2014 12:17 PM

Happy New Year to all.

The battle continues with small progress that should be celebrated with gusto but simmers under the expectation that three pounds a week would be faster. If I keep going at the pace I'm doing, the recent harm from too much snacking can be rolled back.

Marching on.

ICUwishing 01-01-2014 12:32 PM

December was a 5# gain. Ticker is adjusted, and we'll move forward from here.

traveling michele 01-01-2014 04:17 PM

Happy New Year all.

Time to reflect and set new goals. I definitely met my exercise goals last year but my weight isn't where I want it. I was 130 on January 1 last year and 130 today so I look like I maintained. However, my 130 last year was after an indulgent trip and it went down after. Today's weight is the weight I've been hovering around for months. Tonight is my one big splurge-- we are going to a very nice restaurant to celebrate dd's 23rd birthday. I'm worried I'll be over 135 tomorrow but hopefully it will be temporary.

My workout goals for the year will be to exercise 365 times with at least 250 of the workouts being bikram yoga. I'm going to work on several yoga goals for the year and also work on my strength through weights and other workouts.

I'm going to evaluate my food and try some different things this year to try to get back to my sweet spot or at least back below my redline!

silverbirch 01-01-2014 04:59 PM

Reporting that I did not make buttered sourdough toast.

I think I'll prioritise (gymn) exercise this year which should encourage the other priorities to fall into line as I'll have more energy and stamina. I am shocked and appalled that two (2) people gave up their seats for me on the London Underground in the last two days. The SO says that when I look wrecked, I really look wrecked. (He actually said "knackered" which is even worse.)

ICUwishing 01-01-2014 06:35 PM

silverbirch, well done with following through on your intentions! Perhaps the folks on the Underground had made late-year resolutions to stand more, based on recent publications about how "sitting is the new smoking"? I get the shock, though - I am almost ready to succumb to coloring my hair again, just because I've been treated so differently based on that single appearance item. :mad:

Michele, I am simply in awe of your exercise achievements and goals.

Bill, multiple small successes add up to big successes. :yes:

I need to look up our old resolutions thread from last year. I did start swimming and I am definitely moving more ... I think I will track my cumulative swimming and running activities this year and see how far I get.

Today, I ate like a sane person who wants to fit into her clothes and get a balanced level of various nutrients. :woohoo:

saef 01-01-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverbirch (Post 4908532)
The SO says that when I look wrecked, I really look wrecked. (He actually said "knackered" which is even worse.)

Birchie, you'll have to explain this one to us Americans. I'm going to guess at it. From reading 19th century novels, I know that the knacker was a tradesman who took away dying or dead horses for rendering. So if you looked "knackered," does that mean you looked as though you were ready for the slaughterhouse?

No idea what my weight is, as my weigh-in day is Friday, but I'm going to guess that I'm still around 150 or slightly less, as I haven't eaten anything particularly interesting or celebratory this week.

silverbirch 01-02-2014 02:29 AM

To knacker (vulg) - to tire something out, to damage severely

Thanks, saef, for raising the red flag and helping out. You're right, it's linked to the knacker's yard.

Good idea, Becky. I'll hang on to that thought. My sister also asked me if I've been in a fight as I've got a few red, scab-like things on my face as a result of ointment, treatment for sun damage.

Things can only get better. Going home today after more than two weeks on the road. I'm going to sleep on the train.

Shannon in ATL 01-02-2014 11:30 AM

Michele - great job on the exercise. I was doing really well until I got sick three weeks ago, and now I'm closing in on day 21 with no exercise at all. I'd rather have your record. :)

Birchie -good job avoiding the toast. I would have no problem giving up butter, as I eat it so seldom. Peanut butter, now that is another story.

I don't want to think about my weight. Today I was 10 pounds up from my low point in October. I know that a couple of pounds of that is from the salt and fast food yesterday, but not all. So need to change the ticker to reflect reality and start afresh. I'm considering buying a training plan by Nia Shanks, anyone heard of her? Realistically, I know what to do, but I would like someone to give me a plan to follow. I'll either buy Nia's or go back to my friend Steve to custom build me one.

I'm stiff and sore and can feel that I haven't exercised in weeks. The problem with getting sick the week before Christmas - I planned a week off at the time, and that week has since become three.

Shannon in ATL 01-02-2014 01:21 PM

I just bought the Nia Shanks 'Train to be Awesome' program. I'm already a little stressed, honestly. Step one says this "Say this out loud. "I am not flawed and therefore I don't need to be repaired." Say it, and MEAN IT." The rest are similar. That makes me nervous. I suspect that is a bad sign about my current mental health. LOL There is also a step where I have to get a notebook and write something in the log every day that I did to make me and my life even more awesome. As I've been pretty negative lately I think I need that.

There are six markers I have to track - four specific exercise performance markers and two subjective markers (how I feel, how my clothes fit) that I have to measure and log at the beginning and then measure and log at the end of the program. Those are the only things I track during this time, other than specific weights and reps for the exercise. For the sixteen weeks of the program I don't weigh myself. I don't count calories, unless I want to do so for the first few weeks to settle. I follow sensible eating habits, which are very similar to what I was doing before Christmas worked me into a free for all.

I can do the strength workouts either 3x per week or every other day. I'm going to pick 3x per week, M-W-F. I have three options for cardio in between, I'm going to have to work on that. Maybe run 2x, do some yoga in there.

I have to read the entire book before I start, hopefully I'll dive in on Monday.

traveling michele 01-02-2014 04:11 PM

Shannon.. Haven't heard of the program but it sounds interesting. Let us know how it goes.

I'm just ready for my girls to leave. They don't get along and seem to push each other's buttons on purpose. I'm taking them out tonight to a wine and painting class. I'm hoping they can get along for a few hours. Older dd leaves in the morning so we will start towards normalcy.

silverbirch 01-03-2014 05:40 AM

Reporting that I am not making buttered toast this morning. I do not need a two course breakfast because we don't have enough fruit in the house.

No butter yesterday. Streak is 2.

Interesting, Shannon. You're Awesome already, of course. The sub-editor in me makes this book's title Train to Be More Awesome. Please tell us how it's going, won't you?

Michele :hug:

ETA Mid-afternoon here with very little to eat for a snack and I'm waiting for someone to come to mend the electricity cable which is swinging dangerously in the wind. Shannon, you're dead right about peanut butter so I'm going to stop eating that as well. Perhaps I should stop eating anything called 'butter'.

I'll give myself a little flexibility here. Despite having eaten some peanut butter just now, if I eat no more today I'll call my streak 3 tomorrow, and move on from there.

krampus 01-03-2014 12:17 PM

No bulge this holiday season. I had a stomach bug or something from Dec 26 until yesterday. No violent illness or serious malaise, but I was ahem "going" quite a lot.

Thanks immune system for this blessing in disguise - no sitting on the toilet vomiting into the sink for me.

neurodoc 01-03-2014 01:46 PM

133.4 yesterday and today. I'm officially declaring defeat on the experiment of eating more food in order to increase my metabolism. I can only hope that at least 1-2 pounds of the gain is actually muscle, since I've been "lifting heavy" the last month (up to 135 pounds for deadlifts and squats, up to 95 pounds for bench presses). But no matter what my BodyMedia Fit device (or the health-calc.com site) claims is my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (1900-2300 cal/day), I continue to gain weight at the rate of ~1/2 pound per week when eating between 1600 and 2000 cal/day. I am very sad but clearly need to get over it, or I will bust out of my remaining clothes in another month or so. So, along with a legion of red-blooded Americans in January, I am going back to restricting, and pray it doesn't lead to the kind of binging/dissociative eating that was the ultimate cause of this whole problem to begin with. I am telling myself that I did not binge for the many months it took me to get from 160s down to 120 the first time, and that it is clearly not an inevitable byproduct of a low-cal. way of life. So, back to 1400-1600 cal/day. The one change I will make from prior efforts is to plan a 300 cal/day late-evening (4th) meal, to consist of the fat and carbs I always crave at that hour, making dinner much lighter than I have in the past. That will mean 300/300/600/300, aiming for at least 100 gm protein. I CAN DO THIS.

krampus 01-03-2014 02:24 PM

Those are impressive lifts. You can pull more than your own weight!

BillBlueEyes 01-03-2014 03:13 PM

Ouch for that stomach bug, krampus, despite its silver lining of preventing holiday weight gain.

I, too, am impressed with the weights you're lifting, neurodoc. Wish you well in finding the specific path you're looking for.

All our eating occasions are done; I survived with a small loss instead of a gain so I'm pleased. The current goal is to take a break from shoveling snow without having an extra snack to compensate for having done some minor work.

It's cold around here. Minus 2 Fahrenheit is cold to me.