Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #436  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
I've just come in from my Italian class and had a bowl of Armenian lentil soup. The SO had put a large bowl in to warm for me and I filled it with two ladlefuls. So far, so good. It was good (modestly, I must tell you that I made it). Then I thought that a medium-sized bowl would be quite full with two ladlefuls. On the whole, I think I prefer using the large bowl as there's lots of room to move things round. I also like a large plate for the same reason. What size of bowl or plate do you use?

Streak continues unabated. No butter or peanut butter on Monday. Streak is 41.

Dreadful, JayZeeJay. Get it cleaned professionally.

I'm on for Tassie. I hear it's a great place.
I've started using smaller plates/bowls/silverware. That way I feel like I have more food. If I have a half full big plate it feels like much less food than a full smaller plate.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #437  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

For soup I prefer a smaller bowl as my big bowls are huge! I prefer large plates, too, so more than half of it is taken up by salad.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #438  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
The only good bird I've seen during my sequestration is the gorgeous male Hooded Mergansers but I'm brining a chicken awaiting The Walking Dead.
There's more than one bird in that sentence.

Unnecessary words removed by BillRedPencil for clarity.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #439  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Am I changing from a pear to an apple? Is that even possible?
ARRRGH! So hard to eat salad and count calories when working in blizzards every week.
Dagmar
Interesting. I used to gain weight evenly throughout, and had huge boobs. Now every added pound seems to make its way to my thighs. My college biology textbook claimed that "hormones are stunningly powerful substances." Indeed; and the shifting of said hormones as I edge ever closer to menopause is causing some interesting changes. And I'm totally with you on the counting calories thing- I'm counting, but the daily total is not going to make me lose anything

JayZee - ewww. Can you afford to recarpet/retile the house?
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 AM   #440  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

JayZee "Nature's Miracle" stain and odor remover comes in a gallon jug. Spray it all over and leave it. Respray in a couple of days.

We use it on cat urine and it works. My DH also did a whole hardwood floor with it and it worked there too. He used it diluted with water - directions on bottle - and spread it with a mop.

If you have carpet better to remove and replace as pets can sometimes smell that which we think is gone. If you have/get pets in the future they will mark over other pet smell.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #441  

Took my measurements for the first time in several years. I have gained 2" on my waist and nothing on my hips. I got the "menopot" right after menopause 10 years ago but my waist still remained 26". Now it's 28".

Since fat around the abdomen is, according to lots of sources, more dangerous to gain than fat on the hips I'll have to start taking note of my measurements more often. And try to lose some weight.

Dagmar of winter
Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #442  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Second vote for Nature's Miracle. It even got my cat to stop spraying after we cleaned the "spray" room with it. However, I had a friend who bought a house that had urine soaked hardwood floors. I think she ended up having parts of the floor replaced.

At noon yesterday I got sick to my stomach and thought I was going to throw up. I could barely eat lunch. Went home and rested for 45 minutes. Had to run a few short errands. Came home, fixed dinner and then watched some TV. I was sore as if I had a fever. I was uncomfortable all night and barely slept. No fever this morning (did not ever throw up, but did have some diarrhea). I was hoping that my eating about 500 calories less than planned would have some impact on my weight this morning. Nope.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #443  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Streak today is 42. I'm not resting on my laurels although I am starting to forget about butter and peanut butter. They don't loom large in my life any more.

neurodoc Why should hormones make fat gather on your thighs, I wonder. Or Dagmar's tummy, come to that?

Feeling a bit philosophical tonight. It must be all the real and urgent life and death conversations I've had today. Plus an ill DB. Plus a looming storm.

Night, all. Glad you're here.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #444  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Birchie, our Egham office has been shut down for several days over the flooding.

But what's on my mind is, why am I fretting over my weight rather than being happy to be alive?

Because I got the news just a few hours ago: A woman in my dept., who was the same age as me, and whom I was just training at the end of August died today. A heavy smoker, within a month of her hiring by us, she developed bronchitis that wouldn't go away. And soon after was diagnosed with cancer and began treatment. She swore everyone to secrecy about it; I discovered it myself accidentally, when exchanging an email with her, and kept quiet about it afterward.

The minute my boss called today, sounding awkward, and mentioned this woman's name, I knew why she'd called & what she was going to tell me.

Look, this woman was my age, that's what I can't forget.

Last edited by saef; 02-11-2014 at 07:50 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #445  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Birchie, our Egham office has been shut down for several days over the flooding.

But what's on my mind is, why am I fretting over my weight rather than being happy to be alive?

Because I got the news just a few hours ago: A woman in my dept., who was the same age as me, and whom I was just training at the end of August died today. A heavy smoker, within a month of her hiring by us, she developed bronchitis that wouldn't go away. And soon after was diagnosed with cancer and began treatment. She swore everyone to secrecy about it; I discovered it myself accidentally, when exchanging an email with her, and kept quiet about it afterward.

The minute my boss called today, sounding awkward, and mentioned this woman's name, I knew why she'd called & what she was going to tell me.

Look, this woman was my age, that's what I can't forget.
When I was in radiation there was a lady there who was obviously very ill. While she was in treatment I spoke to her niece who had brought her, This lady has lung cancer and is still smoking. Her family is tearing their hair out
You just can't understand some people, I wonder about her sometimes, it is so sad.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #446  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Bargoo, I'm giving you a hug, and thinking of you.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:23 AM   #447  

saef Sometimes the real priorities - enjoying life, having fun, having love - get lost in all the noise created by the minutiae of life.

What we weigh and how we look ARE important to all of us but they shouldn't take precedence over all else. If we are up a lb. or 2 it shouldn't ruin a beautiful sunny day.

I go there too all the time though - get this done, cross that off the list, run, run, run - and now I weigh HOW much ? ARRRGH!

But I am so fortunate that I am surrounded by dogs (and some cats) all day. They truly embody "don't worry be happy" and they tend to take me there too.

Dagmar
Old 02-12-2014, 07:34 AM   #448  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Saef, sorry to hear about your co-worker.

With regard to smoking, by the time you actually have lung cancer past a certain point, whether you smoke anymore is a moot point. That train has left the station.

As some of you may remember, my partner is a cancer survivor. She is completely clear now, a year after she began treatment. She smoked and drank alcohol when she was younger--quit about 30 years ago!--and those are the factors correlated most strongly with throat cancer of the type she had. But no one knows for sure what the "cause" is of any individual's cancer. Her brother had throat cancer when he died, so perhaps genetics is involved as well.

The point I want to make is that my partner did everything "right" after she stopped smoking and drinking. She was mostly vegetarian, ate all the blueberries and other antioxidants, took extra vitamin C, followed all the medical and herbal lore, and so forth, for 30 years. But she developed cancer anyway. And so could any of us! For no reason at all that we can see or control!

If someone's scale number or clothing size is the most important thing to them, I think they are out of touch with reality. They have built themselves a monastic cell to live in where they whip themselves daily for "sinful" actions.

I am currently at a weight that I think most of you would rather die than see on your scales. That's sad, because I am happy right now. No, I don't like my weight this high, but my goodness, there are so many other things to be happy about. I let myself out of the cell.

P.S. My weight has gone down 3 pounds in the last month, and not because I'm dieting. I'm just being mindful of portions while eating what I want. Oh, and reducing my stress levels.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #449  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I'm just being mindful of portions while eating what I want. Oh, and reducing my stress levels.
Yes, that's what I'm doing.

N.B. I don't want to eat butter or peanut butter any more now as I've worked / am working on reducing my stress. I do believe that this is central.

Last edited by silverbirch; 02-12-2014 at 07:43 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #450  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I've been lurking. Haven't had anything worth saying publicly and I'm pretty tired of posting the same things over and over again about this new or old pound, or that bulge. The number on the scale hasn't been moving and I've come to the conclusion that more "discipline" is not going to permanently change that. I need a new headspace, so I have been working on that. I do pretty well with recognizing the scale number as more of a symptom metric than a personal value - it's just that I know that there is a lot more well-being to be had out there and I feel like I am ready to make some major attitude changes. I'm hungry ... and it has NOTHING to do with my stomach.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote