Maintainers Winning the Battle of the Bulge

You're on Page 15 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: We are planning a cruise in April. Same exact one we did last year as it works schedule wise with my spring break. I tend to gain a LOT on a cruise so my strategy is usually to try to have some wiggle room before going. I'm not sure that I'll be able to get to have any wiggle room by then so I may have to be much more strict about my eating on the cruise. We'll see if I can make some serious headway by then.
    I didn't have any wiggle room before my last cruise but I didn't gain a lot on the cruise (I think due to the amount of walking we did most every day on tours). I did gain once we were home. And then more over the holidays. ((sigh))

But don't let the weight deter you from having a fabulous time on your cruise!!!
  • Quote: I didn't have any wiggle room before my last cruise but I didn't gain a lot on the cruise (I think due to the amount of walking we did most every day on tours). I did gain once we were home. And then more over the holidays. ((sigh))

But don't let the weight deter you from having a fabulous time on your cruise!!!
    I know... I will have a great time. We are very active when we cruise-- going to the gym each day, doing active excursions, etc. But I also indulge more-- allow myself a few treats and the scale definitely shows for it.

I forgot to mention that I got a call yesterday from the the leader I used to work with at Weight Watchers. She asked me to come talk on Sunday to the group about my "success". I felt like calling her back and saying NO because my weight is up. Then I decided I should go because in most people's eyes I look good and they'd be happy to be at my weight. I have to dig out my "fat pants" to bring so hopefully they'll show my grouchy mind that I haven't gained ALL my weight back.

So, I actually have a pretty busy weekend (for me). Tonight is the usual-- bikram and a quiet evening-- I need to pick back up on my Breaking Bad-- I had stopped watching while everyone was home. Tomorrow, I'm weighing at Weight Watchers and meeting a friend for breakfast. Then, the plan is to go to bikram (maybe two classes to offset dinner). Have a few errands to squeeze in and then I've got my dinner with my new book group. Sunday will be the meeting that I'll talk at, workout out, etc. Monday I've got two doctor appointments and other stuff to do!
  • I thought I had a "good week" until yesterday, when I was hungry all day, and tired.

Problem was, I woke up at 2 AM, I mean I came fully awake, adrenalin running high, lots of noise in my head, fragments of music, lots of to-do lists, worries, etc., ravenously hungry, too -- and after lying there knowing it wasn't going to get better, I got up & had breakfast at 2:45 AM. Went to the gym around 5:45 AM, as usual, and then spent the day getting hungry hours before I should've, because my biological clock was off, and fighting sleeping upright at the laptop. So no surprise that I was again really hungry at 5 PM, and eating roasted unsalted nuts from a can while standing up in the kitchen. Yes, binge behavior. Which freaks me out. I really do revert sometimes, after months of being okay and thinking I've kicked it.

So I'm up .2 pounds this morning over last Friday, in spite of my good week, and my adding a leg day this past Sunday. I was so damn smug about that new leg day all week. Like any newbie here, thinking: "I was so good, I worked out differently, the scale should reward me." I really should know better by now.
  • Well, I'm about five pounds up from Halloween, which was my lowest point in months. I'm a little over that point today, which I'm going to credit to my weight workouts the last two weeks. Hopefully.

On my positive side, I assembled my cabinet from Ikea all by myself yesterday. Woo!

Saef - it was good to add the leg day. The weight will settle out.
  • No butter or peanut butter on Thursday. Streak is 16.

I'm weighing myself every day and noting it on a spreadsheet. I may even make a graph!
  • Quote: Problem was, I woke up at 2 AM, I mean I came fully awake, adrenalin running high, lots of noise in my head, fragments of music, lots of to-do lists, worries, etc., ravenously hungry, too -- and after lying there knowing it wasn't going to get better, I got up & had breakfast at 2:45 AM.
    This happens to me also. My SO thinks I'm slightly crazy - I'll wake up in the middle of the night suddenly wide awake, with strange songs (ones I don't even like) and fragments of conversations cycling nonstop in my brain. It's a strange and unpleasant feeling. I usually get up and either read or do work for an hour or two, then reassess. Half the time I can get a few more hours of sleep, but the other times I can't and end up starting my day 6 hours early, with the biological clock repercussions as you described. One time I came home from work so tired that I suddenly realized I was mindlessly stuffing rye crisp crackers into my mouth one at a time. I must have eaten at least 6 while totally zoned out. I don't even like those crackers.

Down to 139.5 today. I missed dinner due to a long workday, so I suspect the slight weight loss is just less food weight in my system. But I'll take it, being back in the 130's (even slightly) relieves a bit of anxiety.
  • Count me in as another one who wakes early and stresses about all sorts of things that are out of my control yet keep me awake anyway. The more I stress the worse it gets, too. And while I don't often think of songs then, I will wake up with a lyric in my head and then I go crazy trying to think just what that song is so I can listen to the whole thing! Sometimes I appreciate when the cat decides to sleep with/on me at these times. I usually toss and turn when I stress out--just trying to get back to sleep. With the cat there, I don't want to disrupt him so I lie in one position longer and usually fall back to sleep thinking more about not moving rather than they myriad of other things on my mind at the time.
  • Quote: No butter or peanut butter on Thursday. Streak is 16.

I'm weighing myself every day and noting it on a spreadsheet. I may even make a graph!
    I use www.weightchart.com and it graphs it for me!
  • Jen, thank you very much! I've been using the hideous Excel which I'm slowly coming to terms with but it is so ugly and clunky. I may give weightchart a whirl.

Does anyone else use anything different?
  • Quote: I'm weighing myself every day and noting it on a spreadsheet. I may even make a graph!
    I have a graph. I'm crazy like that.

I made my own in Excel years ago and just copied it over and over to have a chart for each month. Now I have a Withings scale and it tracks it for me.
  • Shannon, yes, I know! I've been asking myself whether you should be my role model but I can't afford one of those scales! I have to stick with the old rusty one.

So you have a graph for every month? I think I want a graph to go down and down and down and then along and along and along. (I am actually trained in this, kind of thing. I was telling someone today about how we used to use computer punch cards in the olden days. He looked at me as though I were a Martian.)

Anyway, today's result was good.
  • I have a landscape page, I log the weights by day down the left column, then generate a graph for each month next to the list. I have a 'to date' on a second tab that updates as I add more dates in, with one chart for year to date, then one cumulative that is way too cramped from the beginning of the chart so I should really change the range.

Ah, I remember punch cards. I used one at my first job, and we still have some in storage from our oldest location.
  • Quote: I use www.weightchart.com and it graphs it for me!
    Thanks for posting this! I just signed up. Now I can see myself not lose weight

I put in my weight loss goal for the month and it said it was "difficult" meaning I need to reevaluate my goals.
  • I like it because it also trends how you are feeling and how you rate your exercise, not just your weight. You could also customize with anything else you wanted, I think!

Actually for me - a NON concrete, graph type person, it helps me to see the wild swings ad how it seems to all even out...
  • I like my Excel with the weekly average and moving control limits. It depersonalizes it the whole weight thing. I'm motivated to check the other one out and see what it might do better.

Oh, I had a hard time talking myself out of bed at 6:30 to go swimming - the bed is so warm and soft ... and where the skidders came on is where I realized with a start that yes, I too am warm and SOFT. So off I went. 2 hours, 4400 yards. I won't say it was awesome, because it wasn't. I spent so much time thinking about doing my turns correctly that I tended to get too close to the wall. My back is very tired, now that I am beholden to gravity again. My mom let me scope out her somewhat frightening pharmaceutical stores earlier in the week - I chose the Motrin 600s and will periodically ice things down today instead of last week's wrong strategy of heating pads.