Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #31  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

LOL Dagmar, I'm with you except I'm going to bed at 7:30 and getting up at 5, with 3+ wakings in between to deal with babies. Daylight savings time means nothing to them! This morning after getting them back to bed from their 4am feeding, I woke up at 5:15 to A's high-pitched squealing. Went into the nursery, and she was laying there with a huge smile on her face, screeching and squealing as loudly as possible. Better than waking up to crying! On the plus side I'm getting in to work by 7am which means I get to leave at 4.

Michele, do you keep a food diary? I had a time when I had gained about 15lbs back, and I thought I was keeping to plan, but when I logged my food I discovered I was actually eating way more than I thought I was. Mostly because I was eyeballing portions and the portions had been gradually creeping larger and larger. Not that I'm one to talk right now as I sit here 30lbs above my goal weight.

Having my mom here has been such a big help that I'm almost afraid to let her leave! Thanks guys for encouraging me to accept her offer.

We bought booster chairs the other day -- like high chairs except you just strap them on to your regular dining chairs. I can't imagine why anyone would spend $200 on a high chair when you can get a booster seat for $20! It's a single piece of molded plastic so no nooks and crannies to clean up. We tried putting the girls in them yesterday and they seemed to like it -- grabbed their teething rings, banged them on the tray to make a loud noise, then threw the rings on the floor over and over and over. They seemed to be enjoying it.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #32  
Maintaining

S/C/G: 173/118

Height: 5ft, 6in

Have any other maintainers had trouble getting their weight to stabilize in the months transitioning into maintenance? I am really struggling, and hit another new low today (by a whole pound ouch!). My bmi is now 19.0, which is getting uncomfortably close to the underweight range.

I started walking (and now some running and strength training exercises) after I started transitioning, so I think that's part of the my issue. I also totally changed up my diet and now eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet. I'm eating up to 40 grams of fiber a day with veggies, whole grains etc, and that makes me feel fuller, on less calories. So I got the idea to start tracking WW points, to make sure I'm eating enough (I HATE counting calories but points are simple), and darn it, after two days of doing that I've lost that pound

Since calling goal this past spring I've been all over the place-

tried eating intuitively-lost weight
tried a non-calorie restricted version of IF -lost weight (did a calorie restricted IF plan as my weight loss plan)
tried primal/paleo-lost weight
tried counting calories/macros-lost weight
now eating a mostly whole foods, plant based diet (for health reasons), and continue to lose weight, even paired with WW points/higher points at that!

Last edited by justjaynee; 11-06-2013 at 07:57 AM.
justjaynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #33  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

I took the day off yesterday to work on my set with my stage manager and set designer. We painted our base coat on all the walls. This is supposed to be an old, decrepit Victorian mansion and I got it in my head I wanted stripes on the walls to look sort of like wallpaper. I'm painting flat sage green 1' wide stripes with 1' wide glossy stripes a shade darker. We have a joke that our set walls are always "masking tape colored" because it's easy to touch up when you tape the seams between the panels with - you guessed it - masking tape, to make your walls look like one continuous wall. I hate masking tape color walls! The sage green should match the deep red Victorian sofa and goldish yellow chairs and curtains. What do you think, Saef, sort of Victorian? This is certainly the most thought and effort I've put into a set, because I think this set really contributes to the mood of this show.

Justjaynee, have you had a physical recently and/or had your hormone and thyroid levels checked? It sounds like your more recent dietary & exercise changes could be the cause of your continuing to lose, but it's always good to make sure you're everything's alright medically. Several maintainers here were diagnosed with thyroid problems after their losses. I might also suggest trying to eat nutrient dense foods like avocado, nuts, a little extra olive oil on your salads, etc. to add more calories and healthy fats to your diet to get more calories in. How many WW points are you eating a day? How far/long are you exercising for?

Michele, add me to the list of maintainers who maintained without too much trouble for about 2 years and then my weight also started to creep up. It felt like a desperate losing battle for about 5 years until this year, when I've finally started to make some headway over here without having to kill myself in the process. I did have to evaluate whether I was really eating what I thought I was/how many treats and meals out I was really having, and that was part of why I gained weight. I truly believe a big component for me was hormones - I'm not sure if they contributed to my gain, but at this point I really believe they made it a heckuva lot harder to lose weight. I finally got off hormonal BC and dropped 5 lbs over the next 4 months, and have lost a few more lbs since then. When was your last physical? How is your thyroid and hormones? When was the last time you tracked your calories over a month or so? From your descriptions it seems you eat very differently when your DH is home versus away.

One of my goals this year was to be kinder to myself, and to try to accept myself and love myself no matter what weight - because after so many years of trying to lose this 18 lb regain, I decided it might not go anywhere, and I can't go through life feeling worthless because of 20 lbs. And I disagree with Dagmar's use of the term resignation because it has such a negative connotation. If you "resign" yourself to your current weight, you're never going to feel good about it. I feel I've made some progress, though I can't tell you how exactly I did it. Even if it makes me feel like a crazy person, I talk to myself. When I have a mean thought about myself, I literally started stopping and made me give myself a compliment about something - anything. And I've started saying those things to those around me, too. I certainly still have negative thoughts but perhaps they are less frequent and I'm less bothered by them. I've spent a lot less time tracking, obsessing, and my exercise regime has changed. It makes me less crazy. It seems really ironic to me that I've finally started to lose again when I've tracked less, exercised less, though perhaps finally dare I say it gotten better at eating intuitively.

I will say I was terrified to finally admit I wasn't going to track - terrified to give up my gym membership, even if I didn't get there very often - terrified I would gain. There is fear in giving up habits I've kept for so long. But they clearly weren't working.

I'm posting this to see if any bit of my experience could help you, not because I like to hear myself talk.

And also s. Because I have been there and felt that frustration, and really felt like there was no light at the end of the tunnel.

I think I've posted enough for this morning. Have a good Wednesday all. (Everyone in my office has latched onto the "hump daaaaaay!" commercial and someone says it every Wednesday now.)

Last edited by Megan1982; 11-06-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #34  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Happy Wednesday, everyone! I love how much I'm learning about maintenance by reading your posts this morning. Maintenance for me has been going up 5 or 10 pounds every few months and then clawing my way back down. I'm hoping to find a path that's more even, that keeps me in my declared maintenance range of 165-170 pounds. We'll see.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Hi all!

I had the last 2 days off work and spent a long time trying frantically to cross items off my "to do" list.

I was contacted last week by a guy who is trying to start up his own internet based business involving physical fitness and weight loss. He asked to interview me for a podcast he is doing on success stories. He told me the interview would take about 30 minutes and we ended up talking for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. He hopes to have the interview posted next week.

I am trying to come to my "happy place" with my weight - and on some days I can almost get there.

I happened to run across this yesterday - it was taken in November of 2009 when my boy Chakotay was just a pup

And then this is us from Monday.

Putting that in perspective - am I really freaking out over 3-4 pounds?

Jen

Last edited by CherryPie99; 11-06-2013 at 10:17 AM.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #36  
Maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Morning all,

Justjaynee, have you had a physical recently and/or had your hormone and thyroid levels checked? It sounds like your more recent dietary & exercise changes could be the cause of your continuing to lose, but it's always good to make sure you're everything's alright medically. Several maintainers here were diagnosed with thyroid problems after their losses. I might also suggest trying to eat nutrient dense foods like avocado, nuts, a little extra olive oil on your salads, etc. to add more calories and healthy fats to your diet to get more calories in. How many WW points are you eating a day? How far/long are you exercising for?

I had a physical this spring, as I was winding down on weight loss (my dr. weigh in was 141lbs and I called goal at 135lbs). Everything looked good at that time. I have no idea what a thyroid does, will do some googling! As far as food goes, that's what's messing me up, because I am eating higher fat, nutrient dense foods. For example, here's what I ate yesterday-

-large sweet potato, sliced and baked with canola oil and cinnamon sugar
-large, dinner plate sized salad with lettuce, bell peppers, black olives, a whole roma tomato, mushrooms, ground flax seed, hemp seeds, 2 servings of refried black beans (1 cup), full fat regular ranch dressing, hot sauce, croutons and onion crunchies (and I use a lot of croutons and onion crunchies lol).
-green smoothie with kale, swiss chard, turnip and mustard greens, spinach, a kiwi, a banana and blueberries. Plus water/ice (fills a large canning jar)
-serving of oatmeal with 1/8 cup sunflower seeds and then a serving of homemade apple blueberry crisp mixed in (which has around 250 calories, per the recipe).

I ate a lot of food yesterday! Points wise, it worked out to be around 39pts. Exercise yesterday was 2 miles of walking/running, with 60 modified pushups mixed in (used the top rail of trail fence posts for hands, with body at a slant). On Monday I used 47 WW points and did no exercise

I think I'm going to up my Points to 45 (approximately 1,800 calories), plus not count the points in veggies/fruit and see if that works better. That would be around 2,000 calories, give or take a few. If I still keep losing on that, then I think I will make an appointment with my doctor.

Last edited by justjaynee; 11-06-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #37  
Maintaining

Jen- those are awesome before/after pictures!

Last edited by justjaynee; 11-06-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Justjaynee-- I think that sounds like a good plan for you. I lost my weight on WW and I do still track (sometimes-- I've been tracking lately because of my weight creep). I'm trying to eat 26 points and I'm even below that most days (though I'm not counting my fruits or veggies and I eat a lot of both).

Thanks all for your thoughts.
I did just have my thyroid and hormone levels checked as I have thyroid issues. They are all in check for now.

I am keeping a food log with WW points. At some point, I may go to tracking calories to be more precise but I don't want to take the time at the moment for that.

I'm going to visit dd in Arizona this weekend and I'm kinda freaking out because I know my food will be way off plan and I likely won't get any real exercise in. Saturday we are going on a 90 minute horseback ride in the desert so that counts, but Friday and Sunday won't have any planned exercise. I fly back Monday so hopefully I can hit the gym or yoga. I'm kinda afraid of horses even though I love animals and was a vet tech. I've ridden before but it's been several years. Hopefully I get a calm, sweet horse to ride.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #39  
Maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Justjaynee-- I think that sounds like a good plan for you. I lost my weight on WW and I do still track (sometimes-- I've been tracking lately because of my weight creep). I'm trying to eat 26 points and I'm even below that most days (though I'm not counting my fruits or veggies and I eat a lot of both).

Thanks all for your thoughts.
I did just have my thyroid and hormone levels checked as I have thyroid issues. They are all in check for now.

I am keeping a food log with WW points. At some point, I may go to tracking calories to be more precise but I don't want to take the time at the moment for that.

I'm going to visit dd in Arizona this weekend and I'm kinda freaking out because I know my food will be way off plan and I likely won't get any real exercise in. Saturday we are going on a 90 minute horseback ride in the desert so that counts, but Friday and Sunday won't have any planned exercise. I fly back Monday so hopefully I can hit the gym or yoga. I'm kinda afraid of horses even though I love animals and was a vet tech. I've ridden before but it's been several years. Hopefully I get a calm, sweet horse to ride.
I'm also afraid of horses-I fell off of one as a kid and highly dislike them now lol. Have fun with your visit!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #40  
Workin' It

Lots to reply to.

Jaynee - I had a hard time stabilizing in the first six months. I dropped down to 115 pounds and was under a healthy BMI. It shifted back eventually. Too far back I guess. LOL I think yours will balance out, too. The 2000 calorie will be a good test.

Michele - big hugs to you. You've said before that it seems like we fight the same battles at the same time, and I agree with that. I totally feel where you are - and am working on being kind to myself also. I started to lose again for the last few months, got down 12 pounds from July actually, but have overeaten again with the salt and carb the last week and have 6 of those back in water retention. I know this, and am trying hard not to beat myself up knowing I'll eat more stuff next week on vacation. I have found myself getting better with the intuitive eating, when I don't fight it. My instinct says 'I need 100 more calories, I need to eat' when sometimes I really don't. We can do this. Enjoy your visit with DD and don't worry about the food so much. I hate that we drive ourselves crazy on these trips worrying so much over every detail, does it damage our enjoyment of the moment?

Jessica - we had to get a high chair because the strap on booster chair just didn't work long term with our dining chair and table. The height never worked, the dining chair had a seat cushion we couldn't remove, etc etc. If they work for you guys though go with it!

Dagmar has curtains! Woo! Did I ever tell you guys about my neighbors across the street who never put up curtains in a single room? They were living there when I moved in and just moved out a year or so ago, so five years of husband, wife and two teenage daughters and their boyfriends with no curtains. We saw a lot of things we never wanted to see, let me tell you.

Jen - you look fabulous. Seriously. I see why those two pics make you wonder why the 3-4 pounds freaks you out. I don't know how to keep those 3-4 from freaking you out, but in your pic on Monday I sure couldn't see them.

Almost vacation time. I'm pretty much mentally there already. LOL As evidenced by my ordering pizza for dinner last night. Two more days, lots of packing to do tonight since we have DSS tomorrow. HAVE to get it done tonight. The last two nights we washed some laundry and called that progress, but it really isn't.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #41  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Looking at 3 consecutive dinners away from home, starting tonight. 2 are social, and the third is ... going to be one of those very special splurges. This is what the menu looks like: http://www.hollyhotel.com/events.html ; (see the Wild Game Dinner for this weekend).

Jen, I thought Shannon expressed it really well about your pictures - ditto every word!

Justjaynee - welcome!

michele - the Arizona weekend sounds fun! Whatever happens, happens - you can jump back on track as soon as you get home. More important to enjoy the time with DD!

joy - I always feel like I'm taking more from this thread than I can give. The collective wisdom is awesome. What I do know for sure is that when I make a point of being here regularly and posting (fwiw), I can hold and/or creep downward. When I get "too busy" and drift away, the scale does exactly the same thing. With the holidays approaching ...

Megan, you put into words a lot about how I've come to my current thinking about my weight. I'm not letting the "now" state occupy too much of my head; I try more to look at what I can do better and what options are going to work best for what, hopefully, will be my long, happy, healthy future. I don't want to obsess, stress, or "punish". It takes up too much bandwidth!

jessica, your baby tales are giving me lovely flashbacks to DS's first year. :
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #42  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We're going to a preview reception at the Art Museum -- a new experience for me, so I'm planning to enjoy the art and ignore any food that might be associated with this. We're friends with the curator (this is one of the days that I love how St. Louis feels like a small town) who put together a show of photography by Paul Strand and Emmet Gowin.

justjaynee: I can't remember, did you say you're vegan? If not, some fish, chicken, or yogurt in that plan would give you some calories, nutrients, and healthy fats. If you are, you could try adding some nut butter to your smoothie and/or your sweet potato to get more WW points.

CherryPie99: great before and after pix -- and beautiful dog!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #43  

Becky-- that dinner looks so interesting! Enjoy your splurge.

Yes, I will try to focus on my visit. No one wants to have to hear about my unhappiness with a few extra pounds especially if they are heavier than me. I know that. I have no idea where our meals will be but I'm sure they won't be diet friendly at all.

Since I'm leaving directly from work tomorrow for the airport, I've got to do all my packing, washing clothes, etc. tonight.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #44  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Jen, amazing pics! It does help to put the 3-4lbs in perspective. Love your dog too, and laughing about his name.

Jaynee, I second the recommendation to get your thyroid checked. Even if you've never had problems with it before, thyroid issues can crop up at any point in life. A family friend started a weight loss program then found herself unable to stop losing -- turns out she had hyperthyroidism!

Michele, I hope you can enjoy your time with DD instead of stressing about the food too much.

Megan, I'm glad you have been able to make peace with your weight! I'm feeling sort of the same way about the 30lbs of baby weight I'm carrying. My body doesn't look anything like I want it to, but for the babies' health I'm not going to try to lose any weight until they're weaned. That means I am looking at another six months of having this extra 30lb belly, so there's no point in stressing out about it. As long as I'm not GAINING weight it's all good.

Shannon, remind me where you're going on vacation?

Becky, the dinner sounds delish!

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow. Babies have a doctor appointment at 11:15 and it breaks up the day so badly (doctor on the other side of town) that I may as well just not come in at all. We will get them checked for lip and tongue ties and talk about our options for treating their reflux, since the prevacid has done nothing for them. On the plus side, even though they've been uncomfortable from the reflux and not sleeping well, they have been nursing well again lately. Go figure. Not that it's the schedule I'd like, but they nursed at 3am, 4am, and 6am this morning, without fuss.

I admit I feel a little bad about the fact that we've had to supplement with formula for one feeding a day lately. I have a freezer full of milk but I'm still working on the no dairy diet to see if it helps (today is day 12, I see no difference so far so I doubt it's related). On the other hand I am getting checked out by a local milk bank to see if I can donate the giant pile of milk I have from when the girls were still in the hospital, since it's not really the right composition to feed to them anymore, so at least it won't go to waste.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #45  

Jessica-- I've never heard of a milk bank-- how cool!

I think I'm excited about my trip/feeling better from my cold/ coffee but I have a ton of energy. I'm buzzing around getting tons done at work while simultaneously getting online and shopping (oops-- White House Black Market sale!!)....

I need to focus....