3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   2 years of maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/289384-2-years-maintenance.html)

freelancemomma 11-03-2013 07:21 AM

2 years of maintenance

As of November 1 I've been maintaining a 50-pound weight loss for 2 years. In some ways I consider myself one of the "worst" maintainers around, because I still carry a lot of bad habits with me. I also have a much more freewheeling eating style than many other people on this board. I eat mostly healthy foods and virtually no processed or fast foods, but I eat lots of carbs (about 60% of my cals) including some products made with white flour and sugar. I still overeat massively on occasion, especially when at a restaurant or catered event. I nibble quite a lot throughout the day. I pay no attention whatsoever to my fluid intake, which includes about 4 cups of coffee and 8 oz wine per day.

But if the proof's in the pudding, I guess I'm doing all right. I attribute this to three habits:
1. Consistency with exercise: I work out 4 times a week for a total of 3 hours. I started this regimen after losing the weight and haven't missed a single week.
2. I have fairly small suppers. (I seem to function best if I eat most of my food earlier in the day.)
3. I don't snack much, if at all, in the evenings.

I suppose I may also have some luck on my side: at almost 57 I can maintain on about 2,000 cals per day.

Freelance

betsy2013 11-03-2013 09:19 AM

Great work on two years of maintenance! :cb::bravo::cp::dancer: In many ways I think that maintenance is as hard or harder than losing the weight in the first place. If it weren't the national statistics wouldn't be so bleak for maintaining weight loss.

I also think you've raised a good point in that each of us has to find what works for us -- and then stick with a proven formula. I know that there will be times when I have pasta and more carbs, but first I have to get all this weight off. Thanks for sharing this. It gives us all hope that there is life after dieting.

saef 11-03-2013 02:36 PM

Congratulations, Freelance. And there is no "worst." If it's working, who cares what anyone else is doing?

ChickieChicks 11-03-2013 03:36 PM

Fantastic job!! You obviously found what works for you, which is all that matters.

ICUwishing 11-04-2013 08:21 AM

Congrats, Freelance! I agree with Saef about the "no worst". Looks to me like you've found the Grail of balance! May your persistence, routine and luck (if any) continue on for the next 57 years!

Megan1982 11-04-2013 08:39 AM

Congratulations Gabrielle! :cp: You've clearly figured out what works for you and how to stick to it. See you here next year, same time, same place?

silverbirch 11-04-2013 08:52 AM

Great work, Freelance!

As another writer, I do like the phrase "much more freewheeling eating style". :)

freelancemomma 11-04-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megan1982 (Post 4876425)
See you here next year, same time, same place?

Now there's a motivating idea!

F.

Bright Angel 11-04-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelancemomma (Post 4875732)
As of November 1 I've been maintaining a 50-pound weight loss for 2 years.

But if the proof's in the pudding, I guess I'm doing all right. I attribute this to three habits:

1. Consistency with exercise: I work out 4 times a week for a total of 3 hours. I started this regimen after losing the weight and haven't missed a single week.
2. I have fairly small suppers. (I seem to function best if I eat most of my food earlier in the day.)
3. I don't snack much, if at all, in the evenings.

I suppose there may also be some luck involved: at almost 57 I can maintain on about 2,000 cals per day.

Congratulations on your success.

Regarding Luck... Be Grateful for it.
It appears that you are a "relatively" young woman and ALSO have a height of 5'11".

Personally,
I am a long-time maintainer without your Luck.
I am a 'reduced obese' elderly woman at a height of 5'0",
and
over the past 5 years of my 8 years of maintenance
I have experienced a creep of a few pounds each year while consistently eating about 1050 average daily calories.
Additional exercise has not helped remedy this situation.

krampus 11-04-2013 10:04 AM

Congrats on 2 years. I'm a sloppy maintainer in my twenties hoping I can continue to be a sloppy maintainer in my fifties.

paperclippy 11-04-2013 10:10 AM

Congrats! I am also a "freewheeling" maintainer who eats a ton of carbs. ;) If it works, it works!

traveling michele 11-04-2013 10:38 AM

Congrats- I envy your maintenance but if it works for you that's awesome!

freelancemomma 11-04-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bright Angel (Post 4876491)
over the past 5 years of my 8 years of maintenance I have experienced a creep of a few pounds each year while consistently eating about 1050 average daily calories. Additional exercise has not helped remedy this situation. [/COLOR]

Wow, that sounds tough and you're obviously very disciplined. I don't think I could do it.

F.

freelancemomma 11-04-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krampus (Post 4876501)
Congrats on 2 years. I'm a sloppy maintainer in my twenties hoping I can continue to be a sloppy maintainer in my fifties.

"Sloppy maintainer" -- love it. It's the perfect term to describe the likes of us.

F.

krampus 11-04-2013 02:58 PM

Ha! I of course didn't mean to insinuate you are "sloppy" - you probably have a very tidy workspace, whereas I am a slob in all areas of life :)